Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Animals in Quebec

If anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about the barbaric way animals are treated here, go to the left side of this page and click on "Columns".

This article came out in the local paper a few days after our Pet Fair.

Hudson Gazette
Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG......makes me ashamed in the eyes of an animal to be human, the hardship they have to endure because of us saddens me.

Quote:
Several years ago, the province mandated a committee made up of representatives of the pet-breeding industry to study the issue. To nobody's surprise, they've done nothing.
I so don't understand this, what is wrong with these people they had a golden opportunity to do the right thing, but apparently that opportunity was given to the wrong group very sad indeed.

Kudos to Duff for bringing this matter to light although a sad thought I think articals like this should be written every day get the people talking and hopefully doing something. Perhaps at the end of his coloumn he could have put a place/name where everyone could write to, to stop this barbarrick behaviour of the people just not thinking.

So many people (myself included) read these articals, sit back , get discusted and think "it's just horrible but what can I as one person do?" we shake our head in discust and read the next artical

This is all so frustrating, I wish I was a rediculously smart political person I'd go to the canadian senate and state my case for the animals but I am ashamed to say I am just another follower not a leader If that artical told me who to write to about that law that never got passed I would do so or a petition to sign or anything someone like myself could do to help the animals he speaks of..........
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
Animals have no rights in Quebec. The food-animal industry, medical researchers, the puppy mills and even the pounds all have a stake in the status quo.

Why am I not surprised about this?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Not to mention that the government is making PROFITS from the suffering of dogs at puppy mills, by collecting GST and PST every time a 700$ pet store puppy is sold.

What a bunch of pimps.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR you know I never quite thought of it that way, but that is an interesting topic that you bring up!

So thats the going rate there 700bux for a puppy mill pet store dog. Here some are close to 2grand!!

I always heard, rumours about Quebec being bad for puppy mills and heard a lot of them get shipped in tractor trailors. No food, water, heat/air conditioning...crammed in feces and sick dogs. Thats why so many dogs from pet stores get sick....cross contamination, close environments.

I also heard they transport them across to the U.S and through other provinces.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
owned by Tucker

Angry

Thats awful, the Quebec gov. can give out grants for everything including wiping your a-- why can't they put some money into getting rid of puppy mills. My last dog Travis came from a farm that didn't take care of their dog and I took him because of the way he was living in filth, but it doesn't compair to puppy mills. Poor little things.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,I dont know what to say other than any dog/cat would be better off dead than going to a lab.
Maybe a column like this one will make some people think before they dump their animals thinking they will be adopted out,but then again,people who dump their animals have no conscience or heart
There has been petitions from all sorts of Animal Rights Groups and animal-lovers to our government for years,the current animal cruelty law is 100yrs old,where animals are looked on as property,not a living,breathing,intelligent creature capable of feeling pain and sorrow.
But it's not high on anyones agenda...the reason is $$$$$$$ as always
A new bill C-22,has been introduced to our government,you can read about it here
www.cfhs.ca
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM

Puppy mills

Hi...

When I was living near Montreal last year, I took my pet grooming course. We talked about this topic. My instructor was telling me things that made my skin crawl.

We even talked to a rep of a reputable dog food company. She told us about things she saw at puppy mills...like small pups feeding off half dead mom. She even had to walk over a few dead ones...their bodies weren't removed yet....

It's pretty sick when people only want to make more and more money so they breed their dogs every time they are in heat...(2-3 times a year) If you are going to buy a pet...

PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS like:

1) How often do you breed your females? A good breeder would only breed a female once a year

2) At what age as she started breeding? A good breeder will only breed them after the age of 2.

3) What information can you give me about the male? I good breeder would have all the information availble on both mom and dad.

4) Has there been any medical problems with the pets? Most good breeder will have a 2 year health warrenty.

Just an other note... about grooming places

My instructor was telling me about places in Montreal that would groom pets. They didn't just "groom".

Please be carefull when you take your pet to a grooming shop. Some cats and/or dogs are medicated without the consent of the client!!!! Some were abused (she witnessed this herself)

For me in my shop...I invite the pet owner to stay, if they wish...this way they know what I do to them.

*****Remember.... The ONLY person that can medicate your pet is a VET... no one else!!!!

Lisa