Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:38 PM
Administrator

What people are thinking when they choose pets' names

By Linda Goldston

There was no great mystique about naming pets when I was a kid in East Tennessee.

Our big black dog was named Blackie. Our brown medium-sized dog was called Brownie, and our Chihuahua mix could only be Tiny, of course.

It wasn't until my parents acquired a pair of Siamese cats that came already named -- Miss Blue and Mr. Moon -- that we branched out from our practical, no-nonsense approach to naming pets.

The process has evolved dramatically for many people as our interests and hobbies have blossomed.

``My first cat is named Milano,'' said Rachel Deonier of Sunnyvale. ``She is black with a white front and white toes. I quickly tossed out the obvious names of Penguin and Tuxedo.

``Then I searched and searched for the names of things that were black and white. The answer was right in my cabinet. My favorite cookies are Pepperidge Farm Mint Milano.

``The icing inside the cookies is dark brown and white -- just like the cat.

``My second cat is named Chowder. Following the food theme, one of my friends arbitrarily named him Chowder. However, he has filled into his name, chowing down on incredible amounts of food and growing to a whopping 16 pounds.

``I'm debating switching Chowder's name to Diet Chow since the vet recently put him on a diet.''

Joni Ourdoune of Sunnyvale named her cat Zigzag ``because he uses my furniture to zigzag off of, especially when I try to catch him.

``He is so full of energy he even fetches beer caps and brings them back to me to throw again. I think he is a dog in kitty clothing. He lifts his front paw like a pointer does and likes it when I let him drink out of the faucets as opposed to his own bowl.''

If Joni had known it at the time, she also could have named her zigzagging cat Cashmere. He loves to lick her cashmere sweaters when he isn't retrieving beer caps, drinking out of faucets or bouncing off of Joni's furniture.

Barbara Curl of Livermore has a cat named Stache -- pronounced Stash -- ``and for whatever reason when many people hear it their mind jumps to the gutter, I guess recalling their wild college days.

``But my female feline is named Stache because she is dark and gray with white paws and a white stomach -- and a little white mustache.

``Our male cat is named Willy. We had him for two weeks and could not come up with a name. I wanted to name him Spock since he had pointy ears due to the extra tuft of hair at the tip of each ear.

``My husband was against it, however, because he didn't want people thinking we were `Trekkies.' Finally, it was the evening before our kitten's first vet visit and we still didn't have a name for him.

``As my husband and I watched a movie from our childhood that was on TV that night, I brought up the fact that it was embarrassing to show up at the vet's office with no name for the newest member of our family.

``After a pause of about 5 seconds, my husband pronounced, `His name is Willie.' The movie we were watching was `Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' and the name stuck. Now, I can't imagine my silly Willy having any other name.''

Two years after they were married, Michelle Eacret of Milpitas finally persuaded her husband to get a cat, but the agreement called for him to name it. She had grown up with cats and he hadn't, so it was a compromise.

Still, ``I was a little worried about what name he might come up with; I kept thinking of terrible and obscene names. But we finally got our little girl kitten and my husband told he had come up with the name Awana.

``I thought it sounded a little Hawaiian and asked how he came up with it. He said that it was because for months all he kept hearing was me saying, `I wanna cat,' so that is how Awana came about.''
Attached Images

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:51 PM

Awana, thats cute! I like that guy's sense of humor!!
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

DID you hear the one about the 2 shih tzus Free Show and Seymour?

It's a joke.And please don't ask why I thought of it....LOL

OHHHHH NOOOOOOOO,Now I'm going spinny........

See what you started Channy.....
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:29 AM

Oooh Yeah!!
Mona's gettin spinny!
Mona's getting spinny!!LMAO!
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

My dogs get people names. The first family pet was Snowie. She got loose in August once, and the whole family was running around the neighborhood yelling for Snow! Never again!
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM

LMAO LavenderRott, can just picture the looks you were getting
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:22 AM
banned user

I realize this is an old thread, but it made me wonder....where did everyone get your pets' names from? I'm curious.
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
banned user

I wanted a kitty named Sneaky, but we got a male first and I thought Sneaky was too girly, so I tried to think of something like that but more MANLY... So we came up with Snooky, not manly but more manly than Sneaky. Sneaky was our second cat, she was sneaky too. She was in our computer room for the first month and I could never find her... rolling along the floor in my puter chair looking all over the room for her, I came to realize that she was rolling along for the ride under my chair on the base of it the whole time.
Then we got Stormy, because of his color we call him that... he looks like the color of a storm cloud.
And last was Sox, She's mostly black with white paws, and it looks like she's wearing socks.
Not too original but it fits with the S gang!!!
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM
banned user

Quote:
I came to realize that she was rolling along for the ride under my chair on the base of it the whole time.
Laughed out loud at this!!!!!

So you have a family of "S" names....

I used to know a human family that were all "J"s. Judy/Jody/James/Jenni/Jimmy......and their dog, JINGLES!
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM
banned user

That is too weird... I knew of a J family with a Judy, Jody and a Jen. I don't recall the husbands name. How weird is that...
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM

i name my pets simple human names: Ed, and Joey
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Hubby and I went to high school in the sixties when the Kennedy family was in the White House. Because of John-John, double hyphenated names became a fad, baby-talk, nickname for your current boyfriend. In college, I met my hubby and jokingly called him Den-Den. He was not amused. Shortly after, I got my first poodle and called him Den-Den. We now have Den-Den #4. All cream poodles - all totally different personalities - all special.
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM

My husband wanted to call our Wei "Bella", but just about every second person seemed to have a dog called "Bella", so I suggested "Isabella", then he could call her "bella" for short. But she was (and still is) so dizzy, that the name "Izzy" suited her more.
Wilson got his name from the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks. In the movie, his best and only friend on the Island was a soccer ball called "Wilson".
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Our oldest male cat was named after a perfume, Tabu. Our second cat is named Wisp. She's definately not a wisp of a thing. Our third is Sprite, but boy is she ever pixie like and skittish.

All the dogs we have ever had we named from greek mythology. Hera, mother of Zeus. Newt sidekick of Hercules. We had a Zeus and a Isis.
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:24 PM

When we got Stella, my husband said 'Just imagine you are walking through the park, you are calling your dog.....STELLA.....STELLA...'
Need I say more...
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
banned user

LOL too funny
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Stella - very cute! Kinda reminds me of the story about the guy who named his dog "Askum". So when people asked, "What's the dog's name?", he could reply, "Askum". Get it? Askum - ask him... (groan) I know, I'm the only person on the planet who finds that remotely funny...
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Kuma -- I was watching a documentary and this man's dogs name was Kuma, he was a ranger and the dog was hunting bear.

I liked the name-- Kuma in Japaneese means teddy bear.
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
banned user

I love to see pets names many are so cute and just something I would never think of I picked my dogs names from kids name that I like I have no real children so my pets get their name instead. Jordie, Blaze one of my fav's is my old blue aussie Skylar.
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:26 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Kona's name came about from a few things. Before I got her I finally found "THE" dog I wanted at the Ottawa humane society. He was a border collie, lab (I actually think he was a golden x though) cross named Kona. I missed adopting him by a day. When I rescued my dog, I renamed her Kona. Kona is also a mountain bike company in British Columbia, being that I am an avid biker it fit perfectly for my best bud, plus I liked the sound of it. Kona also means "lady" in hawaiian. Here's a pic of the doggy that I missed. It works better this way though, as two dog's get great homes instead of just one.
Attached Images

Old August 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenblaze
I have no real children so my pets get their name instead. Jordie, Blaze one of my fav's is my old blue aussie Skylar.
Hey the way I figure it, I do have "real" kids... they're just a whole lot furrier than the conventional kind!!! ( And I love the self cleaning feature!!!) And even if me and hubby do have kids anytime soon, they will have 2 older sisters, an older brother and an Aunt and a cousin already.....all of the Furry variety!!!
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:10 AM
banned user

"Askum"....hilarious!
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay I have a cat named Cry Baby. We named him that because when he was born he would sit in the kitchen floor and cry and cry and we use to think that he was hungry but when we would pick him up he would stop than we would put him down and he would cry again. And the newest addition to our family is Meat Loaf. I have no idea how I named him that I think I called him Meat Head one day and it just stuck. Than I have two rats named Mercy and Grace but they live with my dad. That is our family.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I picked Damien,loved the movie The Omen,and the name is just not that common,not gonna have kids,so i named my dog it instead..
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:26 PM

When my mom first got her kitten we named her after my best friend April because they both had similiar traits. She has a football head and so did she. After the first day of calling "her" April we realized that the poor thing was infact a male. We decided to name HIM after the cartoon Hey Arnold, the kid known for his football head. And thats exactly how we call him. "Hey Arnold!", we like to switch it up sometimes and say, "hows it going football head?"...
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM

Also named my Angel fish Lucifer and my 2 kissing fish are named after me and my hubby.. I call mine JR. and he calls his JR.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi can you not have children or do you not want them. I had a friend that always said she would never have any (she did not want any) than she found out she was pregnant and had three LOL She loves them and is a wonderful mom and to this day she will tell you that her children are the best thing that ever happend to her and she would not change nothing. Just curious I think you should have a little girl one of these days and pass on that beutiful blonde hair of yours I mean what little girl would not love to have that. Just a thought.

Proud mommy to...
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I can,i just have not found mr.right,and my best friend is a single mom,and that is not for me,i dont think i could do it alone,that is alot of work..Having a child is a huge responsibility and i always here my friends daughter talk about wanting a dad and it is sad to hear that...So i can go either way,if i dont have them that is ok and if i do that is alright,but it is not something i pine about like i dont feel complete if i dont have kids.I am kind of a mix between Carrie ans Samantha on Sex And The City...
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

If all i ever have are a few gsd's i can live with that...
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

K, that is cool and I can understand the whole not wanting to be a single parent. It is hard enough to raise children with both parents let alone missing one. I know I grew up in a spilt family and it is hard. I lived with my dad all my life so it is hard. I think you are looking at the sitution very responsible.

Proud mommy to...