Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Calcium for Dogs esp. with HD

My dog was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia, would giving her calcium supplement help her at all (i know it wont cure it :sad: )? Does anyone know what I can use for calcium supplments for my dog? Is giving her things such as yogurt or cottage cheese good for her? Thanks for all your help! I love this forum!

Name:  tonguelittle.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  22.1 KB
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Live well, laugh often

Aww, she's a real cutie . I've never heard of calcium giving any benefit with HD. If you feed kibble then there is already a good dose of calcium in there so would not mess with that to much. Things like yogurt (plain only) and cottage cheese are great for dogs as regular food supplements but watch out for intolerance because some dogs don't digest lactose very well.

I would recommend a glucosamine/chondrotin supplement. It has greatly helped with my dog. I have a 65 lb lab that I give a 500/400 combo pill twice a day with her food. Also, be sure that your dog has a comfy place to sleep as cold floors can add to the stiffness a lot. Talk with your vet about a product like Metacam which is a anti-inflamatory/pain reliever that can be used on bad days.

Good Luck .
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont think calcium would help as dysplasgia is a disorder where the bones at thejoints dont sit in the socket properly, not of the bones themselves. this can cause pain through arthritic build up, the joint slipping and muscle strain.
the supplement recommended above is the one used most commonly in humans and dogs with displasia, or arthritis. also a pain killer for days when the dog is exhibiting signs of pain.
there are surgeries that can be preformed as well
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:50 AM

I agree. Glucosamine/chondroitin would be a much better way to go, IMO... Good luck to her (and you).
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
-

I also wouldn't give calcium supplements. Chase just had TPLO surgery to repair torn knee ligaments. The vet said they are finding good results with green lipped mussel extract and recommended it over glucosamine chondroitin.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks. Can I find supplments at the drug store? How about the green lipped mussel extract?..Health food store?

Are there any side effects from any either of these?
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yes, the supplements are available at regular drug stores. I actually usually buy mine at Costco. Some pet stores also carry them but generally the human ones are cheaper. I haven't had any side effects but sometimes they can be a bit gassy when first adjusting. I would feed with regular meals to minimize the effects. I buy the capsules and just open the capsule and mix it into the food.

I don't know about the green lipped muscle stuff but I would guess that a health store would be a good spot to start.