Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Puppy keeps dumping water bowl

Our 4 month puppy keeps emptying the water from her water bowl onto the floor. She scoops the water out with her paw - I've watched her do this! She has a couple drinks, then it's like she suddenly notices that the water is moving, and she starts going nuts on it. I don't know what to do - not only does it leave a big puddle of water, which she then tracks throughout the house, but she's left with no water to drink. She just a little pup, so she has the smallest food bowls. What can I do?

Last edited by crazyforcats; February 26th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

This is very common for a young pup to do, (actually my 2 year old husky sometimes still does this) you have to train your pup what is right and what's wrong.

Are you going to enrol your pup in obedience classes?

I would strongly suggest that you do, you will learn great tips on how to train a pup properly and your pup will learn some social skills plus learn some basic training.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Both of my dogs as puppies loved to scoop all the water out with their paws in sort of a swimming motion. Very cute, but very messy. They grew out of it.

clm
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskie was kept in a crate at all times by the BYB - except when she put him in a small swimming pool. We adopted him at 14 weeks and found that every water bowl was tipped over - fast. I solved the problem by using increasingly smaller water bowls - his favourite, which I found out by default, was a bone china teacup - I know - really stupid, but he loves it and never tips it. I have gone so far as to put a regular water bowl at his place, with the teacup next to it - the teacup will be emptied and the other bowl remain full - so I just go with it. And since he will be turning 3 on April Fool's Day - well I guess teacup it will be. These days with all of the snow, just as well. He is a major snow eater - and what goes in - especially when freezing - must come out - so easier to control output.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

lol... mine did it too. I put a towel under his dishes, and used the non-tip bowls. I taught him not to when i caught him in the act, but he did eventually grow out of it.

it's this reason though that I opted to use a water bottle in his crate for times I wasn't home. this way I was SURE he had water available, and couldn't dump it everywhere.