Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old February 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Proper Chinchilla Cages

I have three chinchilla's Dusty, Raisin, and Houdini, and they are currently housed in a SuperPets ferret cage. The problem is the shelves are made of plastic which they tend to chew on. They live in large 4 story cages, they were the biggest I could find. But I need to get them new ones that are affordable and not made of plastic. Any ideas where I can get them? Also, we use superpet wheels for their cage and I go through a wheel a month in each cage. They break so fast. Anyone have a better suggestion for wheels. My animals are uberspoiled! :king: Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM

chin stuff

We have one chin, and she lives in a superpet cage as well. She doesn't chew on the plastic much, but of course it is a concern. A custom made cage is definitely the way to go. We will be building a cage ourselves this spring. We have looked everywhere, but the closest things to suitable are bird cages, which are quite pricy. If you look online, you can find some very good plans for chinchilla cages that take very little skill in carpentry. there are some cages i've seen for sale in the US (we are in Canada) that might make sense for you (shipping costs were too high to Canada), just google it. As far as wheels go, those plastic superpet wheels are not sufficient for chins, they just can't take their energy. We have a flying saucer wheel for Chilly, but it's a bit big for her cage. it takes time to get used to it, but sometimes she goes around too fast and can't stop! I think the Leo Braun wheel would work great, but they are hard to get, at least in Canada. They are made of metal, and should last a lot longer (but of course are much more expensive). I have heard of some chins chewing the metal wheel, but overall not much of a concern. Hope this helps!