Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM

For RAW feeder...$$$

In montreal today I saw turkey drumstick for .59$/pd...
I believe it is a good price so I thought I'D let you know it's a butcher on Pie 9 blvd just south of Henri Bourassa...

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Honest Contributor

too bad it's quite a ride from where i live... would cost more in gas than i'd save on the meat... but good to know there are deals to be had!

PS: boucherie Levinoff on Frontenac, just north of Ontario, always has beef heart and beef kidneys for $0.99/lbs, and the beef liver is also cheap.

AMGA poultry distributors on Jeanne-Mance sells 16KG boxes of fresh chicken frames for $8, when you pair it with beef hearts, makes a great affordable and balanced mix

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM

well thanks i live in rosemont so I'm closer to ontario then henri bourassa...
I'm considering switching to raw in the next weeks-months I'm only concerned about ranger who is only 4 mths old. I'm not too sure how to make the switch.
In the meantime I feed both my dogs premium kibble but I know it is nothing compared to feeding raw! :S
Thanks again

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I think the fact that Ranger is only 4 months old is a great reason to switch to raw now as opposed to being a reason to wait! Just think of all that optimum nutrition he will be getting in those very important formative months We switched our pup to raw when he was 4 months old and it was the best thing we did. We did it cold turkey and have never looked back. Basically, we finished his last bag of kibble in the morning and for dinner he had his first raw meal. Start out by keeping it simple and not introducing too many new meat sources all at once and you should be fine.
I also think that the longer that a dog has been on kibble, the harder it can be to switch them to raw sometimes I say this because I've read quite a few posts from people whose dogs seem to be clueless as to what they are supposed to do with a raw chicken leg and end up sitting there licking it but not much else. It sometimes takes a lot of coaxing and creative measures to get them to realize they are supposed to chew through the bone and work for their meals because they're so used to inhaling their kibble.
Plus, raw meaty bones are invaluable to a teething puppy and if you give it to Ranger partially frozen, he will love the cold sensation on those sensitive gums.
Anyway, that's just my
Old February 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM

thanks barkley for your advice...
The truth is that I really want to switch them both to RAW and I've already tried but Ranger was getting awful diarrea. I know it is normal in the beginning but how long can it last? After two days of severe diarea (i.e. Water coming out instead of poop...)I switched him back to his kibble and within 2 meals he was doing fine again.
Taika has no problem I sometime give her a drumstick or a piece of liver and she does fine I know switching her wouldnt be a problem...
I was feeding them moslty chicken drumstick when he got his diarrea...and I had removed the skin...what meat did you guys use to make the switch for their first raw meals???

Old February 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I started with Chicken. Did that for a week or so. I also started by adding bits of chicken to his kibble. Got to a 50/50 mix then all chicken. When i started a new protein source i did the same, slowly added more until it was a full switch. I don't usually recommend this way, as a cold turkey switch usually works best. But this is what i needed to do with Rosco. Now I can give him pretty much anything and hes fine.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM

When we switched Barkley to raw, we just did it cold turkey, no mixing in gradually, but this was because he was doing terribly on kibble (constant diarrhea) so we had no other choice really. Ironically the day after we switched to raw, he had perfect poops right away.
Like Scott, we started him off with chicken as well. We bought the commercial raw patties but I don't recommend that as the way to go because now I know better. Big meaty pieces with a little bone are way better than the commercial raw mixes which contain a lot of bone and little meat.
You could try giving Ranger a digestive enzyme in the beginning and make sure not to over feed as this is a cause of loose stools, and so is too much fat or skin. I'd also go easy on the liver in the beginning because it's very rich...if he's having diarrhea issues, I'd maybe even stay away from any organ meat until he starts having nice firm poops, and then introduce the organ meats very slowly.
I've learned that slow is the way to go, so if you start with chicken, stick to it until Ranger is consistently having firm poops and then slowly add another meat source in small quantities. I know it's tempting to get creative by adding beef, pork, turkey, eggs, and tripe right away, but we made that mistake and we got pudding poops. Back to basics we went and all is good again.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Learning fast

A&P tonight started doing pork shoulder roasts for 69c/lb, wern't there yesterday, jsut happened to pop by. I cleaned up
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

cool i will go there after work tomorrow.and see i it is still on sale.