Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 19th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Exclamation Help me if you can please ...

HI ...

To be brief .. I have an emergency and yes i know here isn,t the ideal place to be just at this moment .. however as I know live in Spain I have been finding out how difficult it is to have treatment when you have no money ..

I have a black labrador 1 and a half years old .. from the street .. someone has to help .. she is a beautiful dog however she has been vomiting.. clear liquid ... sometomes green/yeloow .. and diarrhea and there is a little blood .. Mu Dog, Negra, She is now siting in the bath .. where she has taken refuge today and wnats to stay there ... she is listless her head is down and isn't eating or drinking .. dire straits

Any help you can give me (except go to the vet) may quite well be lifesaver for this super intelligent dog ... the only possible thing that she may hav drunk is bleach but i doubt this however i can,t rule it out totally.

She's just come out of the bath and is walking slowly with her head down but her ears are up .. which is an improvement.

As i said before the vet is out of the question .. they say that without moeny they can do nothing .. ifthey were to put her down that would be 50 euros .. however without cash first they do nothing ..

my hands are tied and times ticks away ,,,,

once agin thinks inadvance for anyting you may suggest to help Negra stay with us.

love, peace and light

Giles
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

There is no one here that can offer you any advice other than to see a vet.
Please bring your dog to see a vet asap, I hate to think of the poor thing in such a bad state, not getting any help. A vet visit may show something minor that is very treatable, but without help, it can get quite serious.

Please, please bring your dog to see a vet. Don't let her suffer any more without getting her any help
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM

thanks for that quick reply .. she isnt in pain .. she sad .... shes still alert .. been down the vets .. but no joy ...

still trying all other alternatives ...

I'm just worried

I have lost 5 cats and two dogs this year from this situation here (all abandoned taken from th stret hungry and ill) ... had to watch them die in my arms.

All the other animals are okay and living in harmony i am just at a dead end again.

will keep you posted if you like

thanks agaiin

LOve peace and light
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
-

HO is right, you have to take her to the vet. You don't have to tell them right away that you don't have the money, get the dog treated, then tell them if you could get a discount since she was an homeless dog and if you can work some kind of credit with them. But please get this dog to a vet asap, she is suffering right now.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
thanks for that quick reply .. she isnt in pain .. she sad .... shes still alert .. been down the vets .. but no joy ...
I just wanted to say, when I have seen my dog in pain, he didn't act as if he was in pain, he acted sad. That is how I knew there was something wrong.
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM

we are off back to the vets ...

on another note ... here i am in the process of trying to draw up a system where vets (if they like) offer a free day or two a month dedicated to animals welfare ratyher than the banks ...

something along the lines of the way lawyers have to dedicate a pro[ortion of their time to giving free help etc ... anyone any idea if any system like this is up a running anywhere .. any info will help our project here .. thanls

sorry for all the spelling mistakes but im a bit stressed

love peace and light

giles

Last edited by Giles; February 19th, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Is there a Veterinary College near by? They may be willing to set up a program...This way the pet benefits and the students in the Veterinary College learn hands on?

If you have been to the vet what did they say is wrong with your dog?

Cindy
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:41 PM

si si .. thats a good idea (college)

I just got back from the vets .. they told me whats wrong .. apparently the problem is lack of funds ... I had a word wih Negra and asked her if she could bleed again for me .. infront of the clinic so they could see that she is quite ill .. but no ...

We just got back in the house and Negra quietly went to the bathroom ... climbed into the bath and threw up some more ,,, never seen a dog do that before .. she goes specifically into the bath .. animals .. never cease to amaze me.

i have found some injections from our last spot of bother with one of our other dogs .. a pug .. mary 7 years old with the disease .. not sure of the name .. the one where they have worms in the heart, from mosquitos.

well Mary has had this condition for many years yet still she is here with us and doing very well. HOwever a few months ago we had to give her some injections as she had diarrhea with blood ... much the same as Negra .. we gave her the injections, 2 in the morning, to give her her fluids ..

I have some of these injections left .. but darednt use them for negra .. is there anything i can do in this case .. Negra not having eaten or drunk really .. i need to get fluids in yes?

We will go of in hunt of some more vets.

Last edited by Giles; February 19th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Did she get into anything? Will she eat or drink?

Cindy
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes you have to get fluids in.

Injections for heart worm wouldn't help her in this case, unless she has heart worm.

I don't know what else to say really...I am becoming confused by what I am reading.

I would bring her to a vet. Any vet would take a look at her if you explain how she is acting, and every thing else you wrote here.
Most vets will allow you to make payments, if money is an issue.
Please get her the help she needs.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
<-----nut ball

I think he took her to the vet and the vet refused because of lack of $$, even though the dog was there and sick right in front of them (i was just talking with a co-worker about this who is from italy and she said that it is like that there, you have to pay upfront for the visit, and most vets only take cash - not credit).

I would try some sweet water, just add a little sugar to the water to entice her to drink. If you have a store near you, try and get some sports-type drink like gatorade/powerade that has electrolytes in it. That will help.

*hugs* wish we could help more.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Is there a humane society or similar organization over there that can take care of the dog temporarily and provide medical help? Try to work out an agreement with them to take over the dog while you can raise some fund for the medical bill. If you have success in fund raising, you can have your dog back. If not, may be he will be adopted by a new owner who won't mind to pay the bill. It is still better than watch him suffering.

Since you are in Europe, thing may not like we North American can picture. But if you case is legit and you have a vet or humane society agree to take on your dog. Sum up the final bill and may be we can have a fund raising drive here.

On another forum, someone recued a stray and out of his pocket for a huge vet bill (already discounted from his vet). A lot of readers had donated to help out the bill by sending money to the hospital.
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Giles,I am surprised you can find nobody to help your poor dog.
Spain is not like a third-world country and Valencia not a small town,somebody must be able to help you out,you cannot just watch your dog maybe even die:sad:
It does happen here too,although we seem to have vets in every street-corner,the only thing I can think of,who might help would be some kind of animal-rescue place,seeing you did save him from the streets.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Animal Nut!

OMG! I really hate reading about this type of prob (we are lucky here in New Zealand) it is illegal for a vet NOT to treat an animal for accidents or serious illness - funds or no funds! (I guess it keeps the debt collectors in a job).

Can you borrow the money? Im not sure of your circumstances, but I know I would try to find the money... PLEASE try!!!

You also say that she might have managed to drink some bleach... there must be a "first aid" paragraph, or a contact number for you to contact on the bleach bottle... ring it and see what you would do for a human who consumes bleach...(they may even know what to do for a dog) Its a long shot, but its better than nothing.
Good luck.

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Hi ...

Well she is still with us.

I would be able to borry money for Negra and the vet if I only had one oet. but the problem lies in the fact that I have quite a few animals here and have in the past. So borrowing money isn't feasible. One solution would be not to have so many animals but then that for me would mean condeming them all right off. I find homes for those i can.

Tricky.

I do know oof other people who do the same and live out in the country who dont have access at all to vets and for them sites like these are invaluable and it is important that we be able to access information over the internet due to our remoteness. There is always someone on these ites and it can mean the difference between life and death. When It comes to an animal dying or myself trying all i can with the confidence that someone is guiding my hand wioth their experience then im willing to go down that oad if it available to me of course.

Negra still hasn't seen a vet yet, more walking today to try sort that out (i'm outside the city Chico ) She persk up when she is out but still has no energy, she is drinking yet vominting clear liquids. I tried what you said above and that helped a little so that good.

Love light and peace

GIles
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Things are different in Spain, and the same rules don't apply.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through this again. You said these were all street animals... Is there a chance that this could be a result from poisening (not bleach, but something outside?)? Are there any toxic plants around that the animals could get into? Trying to find the cause of the problem will help greatly with treatment.

Something else you can try, is to offer small amounts of water throughout the day.

Cut up a chicken and boil it. The longer you boil it for, the more concentrated the water will be (it will reduce). Offer SMALL amounts of the chicken water (maybe 1-2 tbsps), every half an hour or so. She might be able to hold down small amounts of water, and in offering such small amounts, it will help prevent dehydration. The chicken water is full of nutrition, so that will help also. After giving the stomach a rest from solid foods (maybe 12 hours), you can also offer the chicken (small amounts) by itself or mixed with rice for a bland solid food diet, but start with the water. If everything stays down, slowly increase the intake. If your dog is on kibble or canned food, offering this instead of the chicken might be easier on the system, but try the chicken first (because it's bland - you don't want to shock the system by giving something that's going to sit heavy) when reintroducing meals.

While this might help though, this could be caused by something that only a vet can treat (she could have an infection or a disease), so a phone call might save her life. Phone calls are free too.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I am well aware of how bad things are in Spain, if you ever get a chance go over to Scooby and have a visit with Fermin, I think the two of you would get along very well, try contacting him he may have some ideas for you.

http://www.scoobymedina.com/home_en.htm

Try the links page on this site and see if any of these organizations listed can offer some help
http://www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/to...sinneed.co.uk/
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Last edited by OntarioGreys; February 20th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys View Post
I am well aware of how bad things are in Spain, if you ever get a chance go over to Scooby and have a visit with Fermin, I think the two of you would get along very well, try contacting him he may have some ideas for you.

http://www.scoobymedina.com/home_en.htm

Try the links page on this site and see if any of these organizations listed can offer some help
http://www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/to...sinneed.co.uk/

Thanks for that information it really helps. I am just checking out where in Spain Scooby medina is and hopefully will get the chance to visit. They will definitely be able to help.

Negra is has improved tenfold and now is sitting beside me eating the breadcrumbs of the table so her appetite is back and she is eating. She isn.t listless anymore and is running again.

so good news there thanks all, every little helps and now we continue on hopefully a little bit more prepared for any future problems.

love light and peace

giles