Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Dog drips water

I have a one year old, rotti x when drinks hlft the water comes back out.

I was told you can get the skin flap on the side of it's mouth made smaller to reduce the spillage.

Is this true?
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM

No. It's not true. Please don't even think about slicing up your dog just because it drools.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM

I've never heard of that procedure. All dogs drip water to some extent, though. My rottie drips water and my pit bull drips too. Is it a big concern for you?
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah that isn't true at all. It is their mouth, they need it left like it is supposed to be

My doggies drool after drinking water too, it is just a part of a dog's life
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

If a wet floor is a concern, I suggest you rethink dog ownership.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog isn't a "drool-y" type but he has a beard that gets wet when he drinks. He'll jump up on the couch looking oh so cute and I just want a snuggle and I find out he has a cold wet face and it's dripping on my cozy blankie.

Oh well--one of the joys of being on his staff.

It doesn't sound as if your dog has a problem that's causing him discomfort. And he IS getting enough to drink right? The problem isn't such that he isn't able to get enough water ??

As long as he is healthy don't put him through any unnecessary procedures. Just love him up.:love:
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
If a wet floor is a concern, I suggest you rethink dog ownership.
I was told this by a person who use to work at the vet office, i foreget what they call it but they cut/reduce the flappy skin make it tighter sew it up and it make's a big difference no flappy skin for the water to drip out of!

She said the vet here's done it many time no big deal.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You might try putting an old bath towel under his dish to absorb any water that spills out of his mouth. That might keep it from getting all over--or making the floors slippery or whatever.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I was told this by a person who use to work at the vet office, i foreget what they call it but they cut/reduce the flappy skin make it tighter sew it up and it make's a big difference no flappy skin for the water to drip out of!
either this is some big joke, or some vet needs his license revoked good god what is this world coming to?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
-

I'm still shaking my head. That is absolutely bizarre .....please don't consider it. :sad:
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:48 PM

That is the dumbest procedure I have ever heard of.

My dog has his own wash(face)cloth(towel), and I trained him at a young age to wipe his face after he takes a drink. I used to wipe it for him, and I'd leave his cloth hanging over his food/water bowl, so now if he takes a big drink, he'll pull it off the hook, hold it to the ground with his paws, and wipe his face.

I thought this would be a really cute trick (and less messy for me), but when he was younger, it was kind of a pain to teach that this towel wasn't his to playtoy. Now he knows that it's for "post-drink face washing only" (and will often use it to wipe up after a drink), but he STILL won't hang it back up. He'll pick up his toys and put them all away in his toy box, but do you think I can get him to hang up that towel??? NOOOOOOO.....

Damn dogs... gotta pick everything up for them! lol
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Cinder & Maddie's Mom

My old Springer had surgery on her jowls done, but not because of the water dripping, it was because she had too much jowl and develope an infection. It's called lipfold dermatitis, so they cut a small amount of the loose skin out the tighten everything up. She still dribbled water everywhere, and so does my border collie/blue heeler x. It's like they forget to swallow the last little bit that's in their mouth!

Pepper (16) Border Collie/Blue Heeler x
Samantha (15) English Springer Spaniel

Saving just one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that animal.

The soul is the same in all living creatures, even if the body is different.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Wow... k regardless if you get your dogs mouth "tampered with" they are still going to lose some water after drinking. One of my dog dropps most of his water but out the front.
How much does this "water dripping" bother you to consider having your dogs face operated on for cosmetic reasons????
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Dracko is so good about eating/drinking. Never makes a mess at all. Maybe GSD don't usually dribble water? Never noticed any water around his dish unless it is accidentally spilled when I give it to him.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

thats ah sick after jag drinks most of the time.you need rubber boots.water everywhere.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
That is the dumbest procedure I have ever heard of.

My dog has his own wash(face)cloth(towel), and I trained him at a young age to wipe his face after he takes a drink. I used to wipe it for him, and I'd leave his cloth hanging over his food/water bowl, so now if he takes a big drink, he'll pull it off the hook, hold it to the ground with his paws, and wipe his face.

I thought this would be a really cute trick (and less messy for me), but when he was younger, it was kind of a pain to teach that this towel wasn't his to playtoy. Now he knows that it's for "post-drink face washing only" (and will often use it to wipe up after a drink), but he STILL won't hang it back up. He'll pick up his toys and put them all away in his toy box, but do you think I can get him to hang up that towel??? NOOOOOOO.....

Damn dogs... gotta pick everything up for them! lol
That is just about the cutest thing I've ever heard. Now I almost wish my dogs did dribble water so that I could teach them that. Perhaps they could learn to wipe their own feet at the door?
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM

You want to see drippy face you should see Happy,he drips gallons and I have to haul it with buckets so he can do it!
Attached Images

Old February 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG that is crazy, sick and insane!!! I would hate to think what he would have done to Callie who used to love putting her feet in the bowl.... amputate her legs????

I had a cocker whose face was paralysed he could feel water or food in his mouth and could not tell when it was time to swallow his saliva, so he was aways dripping or if he shook, food would fly everywhere, I spent a lot of time mopping, washing walls, wiping, washing and drying his face to make sure he would not get lipfold infections, applying ointments to his eye to prevent the eyes from drying out since he could not blink, I was totally lost when he passed away at 7 years not knowing what to do with myself after 3 years of caring for him and how many tears I shed wishing I could have more years moping up after him, I would never have considered mutilating him just to make my life easier
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

OG, that reminds me of how poor Joey had all his eye problems and even after the procedure to correct them we still had to apply ointment twice a day. And he was a badly abused rescue who would "go gremlin" the minute we tried to administer the ointment. It was a two man job. It involved thick gloves, sneaking up from behind--all carefully choreographed.

Friends used to love to be here when it was time for Joey's meds.

And immediately after he was all tail wagging and affection waiting for his treat.

He's been gone sice November 2005 :sad: and we still miss him, are still paying off his medical bills, and wouldn't mind one more chance to give him his medicine, and pay his vet bill. Poor little guy ! (There's no face sad enough to insert here !)
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
Dracko is so good about eating/drinking. Never makes a mess at all. Maybe GSD don't usually dribble water? Never noticed any water around his dish unless it is accidentally spilled when I give it to him.
My GSD does it on purpose! She takes a drink, moves her head away from the bowl and watches the dribble hit the floor.

I can't imagine a vet agreeing to do something like this just to prevent dribbles of water!
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Horrible...

Please don't do this

Maxine
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I agree. No offense, but your nuts if you'd actually consider this. What next, remove its bark? maybe shave it clean because it sheds? just wow

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Wow is right, it is amazing what people will do for money (vets I mean ).
Also, just to let you know if this dumb surgery occurs, you do realize water can still leave the dogs mouth. Harley has no loose lips, but let me tell you, he does not dare to finish his drink over the bowl, he walks away to finish it. Leaving water drops all over the floor. HAHAHAHA
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

if it's not water it's food.jag also takes a mouth full of food spit it out then finish the food in the bowl.he drinks laying down and still gets water everywhere.and i wouldn't do that.it's a sin.i love my droopy lips.
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Scott, don't give them any ideas. :sad:

Whatever happened to good ol' trusty dog towels?
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I just wanted to throw this out there too. Have you considered that surgery is never without risks? You might be going from the frying pan into the fire. What if they botched it and wound up causing the guy more trouble? What if he has trouble with his sutures, has issues with eating, etc?

Anywa, I hope you see that this is not a great solution. Please post back so we can know what's going on. We're all just concerned about his welfare.
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

well, I'm not the jowls have THAT much to with drooling...
here are Buster's jowls:

and my dad's dog Harry's :

and my friend' dog Jack:

WEll, Buster are HUGE compared the two others -- So he should be alot more drooly than the two others right? WRONG!! Buster drools a little water when he drinks, but Harry drool huge puddles (like insane amounts of water) when he drinks...So since he has the same jowls as Jack, then they should drool the same, right? WRONG AGAIN!! Jack who doesn't drool nearly as much....so I doubt making your dogs jowls smaller will help.

What you need is a towel...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Oh I just want to grab Busters jowlies!!!
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
-

Me too....he has the most lovable looking jowlies.

Hmmm....I'm thinking we scared the OP away.
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Buster says thank you on complementing his jowlies ...they're my favorite!! And I'm completely serious, he really doesn't drool much water....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."