Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Unhappy Cat is Dehydrating and Starving itself.

hi,
i took my 9 1/2 year old cat into the vet just two days ago. we know that she won't eat or drink and they wanted 300 dollars to keep her for three nights i don't have that kind of money so we didn't leave her. we have been force feeding her and making her drink as well but we don't know how much to give her. we have been giving her 12cc of liquid food mixed with vitamen water every two hours and giving her 6cc of water every hour. is this enough? she is also very constipated and she is walking very stiff from it. is there anything that i can do for her to make it easier to go to the bathroom without dehydrating her more. another problem we are having is now that she is drinking and getting stronger bit by bit she is peeing where she lays, could this be because she is just to tired to move or could their be another problem. back to the eating issue is their a way i can intice her to eat on her own or do i have to continue force feeding her. thank you for your time please help me i am very worried about her.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry,but your cat needs to go back to the vet ASAP..

With all these problems and you trying to take care of it on your own,she will end up dying.

Can you not borrow the money?

PLEASE take her back to the vet.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Prognosis not good

So sorry to hear your cat is exhibiting these seymptoms. I lost two cats last year with similar symptoms. It stumped the vets although both said they are seeing more and more domestic-inside cats- coming down with this.
The cat's blood, when drawn, was just pink water near the end and I had one die while I was holding itand one put to sleep to save it from continued wasting and a painfull death. They were fine one day then they stated having trouble walking, progressed to being unable to move their hind quarters then the progressive wasting moved toward the front legs and head. There was evidence of massive dyhydration and their blood levels were way off the scale-due in most part to the poor quality of the blood in their veins.
In all, four vets, examined the cats and all agreed it was a tough call and they could not find a precise medical condition to call it and the cats tissues were sampled for research.