Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sticks and Stones....mostly stones !

Well Sadie has a liking for stones. ..little pebbles and she eats them any chance she gets. Whether it be on walks or in the yard.

I'm not sure what it is that is facinating her about them but she is particular which ones she selects to eat.

At first I thought it was a game of catch me, but it isn't she's gobbling them up.

So I try to spray the rocks that she's going for with vinegar and water and that was working for awhile so I started taking her off leash in the yard...... until yesterday.

She gobbled up (6) of them from under the apple tree (seems to be her fav spot) then puked them up this morning!

Anyone have a similar problem? I've had pups that have taken the odd stone but she seems hell bent to eat them. Possibly something she likes the taste of? Mineral salts maybe from the rocks?

She is teething but isn't chewin on them just a lick and a swallow.

Keeping her on lead of course she drops them immediately when I tell her off, it's just when she's running free in the yard that she gulps them down.

So, if anyone has had similar problems throw your experience this way. I'd love to hear how you resolved this issue.

I was told I could spray deer urine LOL by a friend.... on the areas. But the problem is, there's little stones everywhere and I'd rather teach her not to eat them at all. And uh, I don't happen to carry deer urine LMAOOO!

Look fwd to your experiences.

Luba and Sadie
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:32 AM
banned user

My dad has deer urine like ewwwwwwwwww! I think the dogs would scent it more?

Well speaking as a Mom of old Garbage guts. I have her on a leash when we are outside (I have the roll up one too that 15 ft long) as what she sees she eats. I'm not sure why they do the things they do. Some days I'm convinced cause it scares the pants out of us. I did read somewhere about rock eating is a mineral defficiancy? Where I honestly can't tell you though. Some help I am eh? Sorry!

Luba I was wondering how Sadie's lump in her mouth is? Did it go down?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba, as you probably know, this is a very common thing for puppies to do, but very dangerous!

You are going to have to stop letting her loose in the area where the stones are until she either outgrows it, or learns a solid "Leave it!"

Carry little (and exciting) treats and start practicing the Leave It with her. She leaves the stone, she gets a treat.

Leave It
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Tx amaruq I was worried about a mineral defficiency as well but this girl eats better then I do haha!

The lump is decreasing, vet's watching it. Unfortunately she may have troubles with her adult teeth coming in but the vet's not sure if thats the problem or not at this time. She wasn't concerned about it (but naturally I am) but it doesn't look infected and I see some teething issues right now that I'm hoping will resolve once the adult ones come in. I just can't figure out why it's in such a funny spot... if there is a tooth under there they will have to yank it...not in the right location IMO

LR
Thanks for the treats idea, I started that the other day. Like I said she was doing well with the 'off' command until yesterday...we've been working on the 'off' for rocks and she was doing pretty good. So, after a few days of her behaving well, I took her off lead in the yard and zoom right to the back she went and gobbled them in seconds. When she's back on the lead, she is terrific again for the 'off' command.

I almost wonder if this would work.... what do you think

Get a pile of stones and put them in one spot on the patio or something (keeping her on lead) There may be so many she could be temped to gulp lol. So then 'off' she drops them then reward her with a treat. She's smart though and I wonder if she thinks I will give her a treat after she picks them up and drops when I say off.

Yes, it's dangerous she puked all 6 of them up at once this morning. There was a little blood on one of the stones, vet said not to worry unless she actually pukes up blood or its in her stool. (which all is ok there)

I know it's common with pups, my other pups did this as well but not nearly as much as this little fuzzy.

She misses her runs in the yard chasing things but I just dont wanna take a chance.... so I think I'll leave her on the extended lead until it's over with like you say LR.

I was more worried that it may be a diet defficiency...as she'll most likely outgrow this thing I hope.

Funny when we go to the park, off leash she doesn't even bother with the stones... only in the yard ???
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:53 AM

I can totally relate - my pup also loves to eat stones out on the driveway along with wood, grass, dirt, garbage, and everything else she can gobble up. She hasn't yet been able to master the art of going on a walk (and by that I mean I need to be trained first!) and so it becomes a constant struggle to get her to walk a few blocks without eating everything she can.

Unfortunately she is a little smarter than me - the more I give her a treat to get her to drop it, the more often she makes a point of grabbing something just to get a treat
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

YES Missy thats what I am trying to avoid... Sadies' smart too and if she learns that picking up a rock to get my attention and then dropping it to get a treat..she'll do it all the more.

How old is your pup? Sadie will be 4mons April 1st FOOL haha
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM

Molly is just over five months. I adopted her from a wonderful rescue organization in Montreal when she was about 7 weeks old. Poor thing had been dumped in a field and left to die with all of her littermates after they were born

I had so many challenges with her at first, especially when it came to food, but she's doing great now. For a puppy that is

She is still afraid of going hungry even after all this time and so she is desperate to eat anything she can every chance she gets.
It's kind of funny (but sad) to watch how she eats her dinner. She has only just started to chew her food instead of swallow everything whole and she eats so panicy that people are always convinced I am starving her.

So, I think teaching her to stop eating rocks and garbage outside is going to be difficult. I hope you have better luck with your little Sadie. I would be happy to hear what works!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It wouldn't happen to be Rosie's where you got her from was it?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

Yes it was - good guess!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LOL that is where Sadie is from she was caravaned to us here in Toronto

What type of dog is yours?

Isn't Anne a wonderful lady!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:55 PM

That's funny

Yes, they really are wonderful and they do such incredible things.

She is miscellaneous - basically a 7th generation mutt. From what I can tell she is a combination of beagle, terrier, and maybe border collie and/or lab although people have said they can see german sheppard and rotti in her as well!

I've always heard that mutts tend to be more easy-going and relaxed but she's as high-strung and neurotic as they get

Here's a picture of Molly
Attached Images

Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:56 PM

uh oh...I don't know what happened or how to fix the picture

Sorry
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh Molly is adorable She looks like she is going to be a big girl. How much does she weigh now?

If you go to Rosie's website you can check out Sadie's story on happily ever after.

www.rosieanimaladoption.org
Attached Images

Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:22 PM

She's sweet but unfortunately she knows it all too well

She looks bigger than she is in that picture but she is about 30 pounds. She's always the smallest dog at the dog park!! I expect she won't grow too much now but it's hard to say.

I read all about Sadie - what a sweetheart!! I can't believe you were able to bring her all the way to Toronto. What a happy story and I just love that sweater.

By the way, how were you able to fix the picture? I don't know what I did wrong!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,Rosies place is wonderful and the success-story with Sadie just as wonderful,brought a little emotional tear to my eye
It would be a wonderful place for Igette to pick out a dog,Rosie has some beautiful dogs....especially the two choclate labs and the Sheltie....
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Missy she looks like she is gonna grow grow grow, look at those paws man!! She's adorable. I just brightened and shrunk the pic in a couple dif prog'ms

Yes Chico Rosie's is a great place I can't say enough about them. Thank you for the lovely things you said about Sadie.

We really are greatful to have her, she's a beauty. Even at 5am puking rocks LOL
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats such an anoying habit! I know how you feel, because my dog used to eat poop! He eats most things in sight! Instead of giving her positive attention with a treat, give her negative attention with a scruff shaking. Nothing else worked with my dog except that, but you can't have them getting sick with worms, or having to have operations to get stones out of their stomachs. Don't be really harsh with her. A 4 month old puppy can't take a lot of punnishment like that, but make it really clear that you won't take that kind of behavior.

Growl "NO" in a deep, growly voice
Scruff shake her in really bad situations
Take the stone out of her mouth by prying open the jaws.

In fact, doing the last one might work! My dog used to eat stones to, I remember, when he was a young pup. He out grew it now, thankfuly! But these dogs hate having their mouths pried open.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heavens no spoiled I'm not harsh on this little girl, direct and strict but not harsh!
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Not really harsh. Just enough to get the point across. The most I would go is to do a brisk scruff shake, followed by you going inside the house with Sadie and ignoring her for a few minutes. Prying open the jaws works wonders. My dog used to pick up anything on the ground that looked good. I used to have to pry open those jaws so much... stones, poop, gum, sticks, old erasers that happened to fall on the floor, pencils, even stuff like broken glass. You name it. Now it has been stopped most of the times, but it still happens. There is only so much that treats can do.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I don't use treats, she's smart enough to learn that if she picks up a stone she gets a treat! if she drops it!

They're on the ball so to speak.
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a really nasty idea that you could try

Mix up Cayenne pepper with tabasco sauce, put it on the bottom of a stone recently taken away from Sadie, put the stone on the ground, and wait for results!

Watch that stone drop to the ground really quickly!

Ok, ok, I was half joking. But it works
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Have to be careful with cayenne and other peppers
Can cause severe irritation to the mouth and eyes
Then dogs scratch at their face from the fear and pain. Not a good idea sweetie!! Plus it's dangerous to the other furries that roam in my yard!

She'll get it sooner or later!
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I was joking

But I thought you give Sadie red and green peppers mixed with her food. My dog would really go crazy if I did that. And they could get in her eyes, to.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LOL spoiled red and green peppers are SWEET peppers not hot peppers!

Ever eat them?
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I HATE all peppers! LOL

Green and red especialy. And onions too. I thought they were hot though, for some reason.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:06 AM

Luba, have you found anything that works yet for the stone situation??
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:06 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi Chany

***** with the stone situation LMAOOOO

She drops almost everything else and if shes' on lead and I say off she drops it instantly!!

When off lead man she gobbles a big hunk of dirt and stones.... so lets just say she's not been off lead much as of late.

Also, she doesn't do this when we are in the park or on walks it is ONLY in the backyard. Weird huh!!

I am hoping through teaching her to avoid them she'll just outgrow it (hoping) because she KNOWS the off command just the stones are more appealing.

However, I must say she isn't doing it AS MUCH now
BUT when it rains everything smells and tastes better outside and we've had rain the past few days so she hasn't been off lead.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM

OMG. wow..
I am new to this site. Kinda funny, I googled in puppy eating rocks as my moms new puppy has developed this nasty habit too! Glad we're not alone in this one.. Pups name is Bella and she is a pure bred rottie. We have seen a lot of suggestions as to removing the gravel, hmm they have 10 acres that would be a bit ridiculous!! Besides she doesn't just eat the gravel, she noses through the moss and digs with her nose to find rocks.

It is bad because we have been(excuse the grossness) finding rocks in her poo and she barks when she poops because it hurts! The vet said this can be a serious problem if not corrected..But what is frusterating is noone can give us answers to what to do about it! I mean removing gravel is great but on a 10 acre piece of property that is full of rock...hmmm Suggestions to spraying gravel and rocks are good ideas too, but gee whiz what a lot of ground to cover!!!

We have been catching her in the act and prying her mouth open and getting them out.. She is so snaekiny too. When we take her for a walk, she sticks out her tongue and scoops a few thinking we won't notice!!!!!!!

~Kikigirl~
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

WELCOME KIKIGIRL!!
Just to let you know this is a very old thread (2004) so you may want to introduce yourself by starting a new thread in introductions

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~