Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Did I hear wrong?

On the news tonight I heard you will not get House-Insurance if you own a Pit-Bull,German Shepard,Doberman or Rottweiler
I hope I missunderstood,or a lot of pet-owners will not be able to get House-Insurance...
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I was JUST coming in here to post that same message. I heard it too! There is a dude here that is going through that, he has 2 dogs, one is part Rotti and one has Shepherd and Dobbie in her, and ALL STATE cancelled (oh, sorry - they just didn't RENEW) his house insurance because of the dogs. Even if the dog has like 5% of one of those 4 breeds they won't insure the owners. It is absolutely ridiculous!! He did however find a new insurance company that even gave him a security bonus FOR owning dogs!! So he is now better off!!!

What the hell is this world coming to?? I almost **** my pants when I heard that tonite!!! They say those 4 breeds are more "liable"...well hell, I'm sorry, but I got bit by a poodle and it hurt ... A LOT!!!! I'd be more worried about the little ones that are going postal because of the stupid bows in their hair!! hehehehhe

Anyways, that is my vent for the evening!! Anyone else here that?? Anita, your in Ontario right??? I'm in Alberta, so its happening all over Canada. f@#*! insurance companies!! What next!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

?? What station were u listening to Anita

I didn't hear that OMG OMG OMG!!

Allstate sucks for many reasons as do most insurance (ALL) insurance companies

They get you in every way they can

HA my insurance agent for Allstate owns a dog, I wonder if HE will be affected hahah!
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG I'm still seething!!!!!!! This just irks me to NO end!! I'm with Wawanesa, I hope they haven't become STUPID too!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a beer!! hehhehe
I'm going to call around tomorrow and find out!! Anonymously!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

This has been going on in the states for a long time.

Sterotyping by animal breed as to what your home owners insurance policy will cover....makes me want to hurl...'nuf about that.

I quit Allstate three years ago because I refuse to be held responsible for Hurricane Andrew. If you remember Allstate almost went bust due to the storm. They received Government "bail-out" funds and reformed..and policy's changed..drastically.... One new policy (being considered at the time) was animal regulations. Looks like they did it afterall, I argued with the company and grew weary and dropped them after many years.
I do not know the insurance ways of Canada but I do know you will be better off without Allstate. They should have been allowed to be swept out with the first tide change!
Shop around...there are other companys that want your business and are dog friendly.

My .02 cents worth.
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I dislike Allstate but they unfortunately give me the best auto rates. They wouldn't however renew my mom and dads auto policy and had no valid reason. Because they would not renew, they had to go elsewhere and then were charged 4x what they used to pay, it's ridiculous. Especially considering the insurance industry made a huge profit last year. They use 9 11 as an excuse, they came out ahead not behind.

I had no idea they did not cover for hurricane Andrew that is disgusting.

They just wouldn't cover my parents for damaged roof after a raccoon tried to get in. They have a 'clause' for that as they do everything else.
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba,I kind of heard only bits and pieces of it,but it was on CBC Toronto channel 6,for me.
I also heard other Insurance companys are considering the same action.All Insurance companys are money grabbing monsters and I am sure if this happens,dogowners will find insurance but at triple premiums.
It's sickening to say the least
Probably more dogs destined for shelters and death....
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I thought that too Anita

Those who won't just lie or find insurance elsewhere will end up dumping their dogs in pounds

Makes me so mad. Just the fact it was on TV is going to generate drop off surrenders.

GRRRRrrr
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

**Shakes head in wonder**.......this is bad news... and soo rediculous I think the media plays a big part here ......dog attacks make big headlines......I am going to say something here please don't think that I think this way it's just an example. There are so many more young offenders these days doing very dangerous things.....so why not cancel polices because you have a teenager......get charged for drunk driving? underage drinking, drunk in public why not cancel all policies of those that drink in their homes..... being sued for child support.....thats it policy cancelled cause you have not been fixed...I could go on and on but as you see I think this is just so rediculous .....is there nothing we can do ? How about an animals rights to be housed in a safe enviroment if insurance companies stop the coverage for the homes just where are they supposed to live? This all makes no sence to me and now I am starting to make no sence........sorry for the rambling but .......JEESE..... what are they thinking?
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure how things work in Canada, but this has been going on for a while here in the States. In Michigan it is illegal for an insurance company to cancel you because of the breed of dog or not insure you because of it. The Humane Society is trying to do something about this nation wide because a lot of these dogs are being dumped in shelters across the country.

In the States, I guess it is up to the individual insurance agent as to whether or not your dog will be covered. Sometimes going to a different agent will help.

I think I read something about someone getting insurance and getting a discount because they had a large breed dog. The breed wasn't asked about. I will see if I can find out who and where and post it here.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Amazing LavR thats great that Michigan took action against the insurance industry preventing them from doing this.

However, you know if there is a will there is a way, they'll find another reason to cancel you or deny you.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Buggers!!! I would rather lie that dump my dog!!! I didn't realize this was happening......mind you I only recently got a dog that has 2 of the 4 NO-NO breeds!!! This just makes me SICK!!!

And yet there are people who screw over the insurance companies with false claims or for things that aren't life threatening. My brother in law got whole new siding for his house after a hail storm......the siding on his house was already falling down, he just hadn't had the time to replace it. Conveniently, insurance covered it and boom...he has brand new siding on a 4000 sq. foot house!!! Where is the logic people??????? GRRRRRRRRR!!!

Any other insurance companies that you know of that cancel or deny policies??

ARGHHH I'm soooo mad!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Typical,typical,typical!! It's the dog! Rottweilers at least the few I know are sweet, intelligent. loyal and protective of their owners. Any qualities I would love to find in all human beings! But no it goes back to people wanting to buy something and what an easy way to get it BREED YOUR DOG!!and sell the pups to whoever has the cash. If the government can control where adult, tax paying citizens smoke then they should be able to do something about irresponsible,ignorant owners and breeders!
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Another thing,I would think dogs would be a plus,not a liability to a homeowner,how many dogs have alerted the owner of a fire?stopped a break-in?
Well,if we are lucky this will go no further than a proposal,I would imagine OSPCA and all dogowners would have something to say,then again us Canadians usually just lay down and accept whatever comes along
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think there are enough dog owners and rescues/shelters that would have a thing or two to say about it.
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, I heard this to! What are you guys going to do? So many of you own the "bad" breeds... I own a Poodle X, and if their banning the "bad" breeds, all breeds could be considered "bad." Next they'll be banning little dogs and big dogs, every breed, why, there will probably be a time when you're only allowed a dog if you live out of town. I can just see a sign that says "no dogs allowed in city." This makes me soo mad. And they blame it on the breeds, not the owners. If the owners kept the dogs under controle, crated or fenced in when not home, and with the dog at all times, imagin the change that we'd see in the amount of dog bites.

I heard this story about a woman who had a Pitbull, and a few other dogs. She had a baby, and when she brought it home, she showed it to the dogs. When she showed the baby to the pit, the pit rolled over on its side, in the "come get your drink, puppy" position! The other dogs didn't even look interested in the baby.

Not all Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans (I NEVER hear about Doberman bites), and German Shepherds are bad. In fact, a great persentage of them are wonderful family pets.

I wonder what dogs Police are going to use for SAR dogs, and tracking dogs, and that kind of stuff. They aren't going to get insurance, are they?
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi,I'm Mona and I'm a "bad" breed owner....

Sorry,had to say that....lol

Well my brother is a police Officer with the K9 Unit,so this should be interesting.I wouldn't doubt it if they will make an exception for them.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Also,there are quite a few pet insurence companies who won't even insure these breeds.

And I have tried a few,and gave up.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,Mona nobody is talking about banning the breed,you just won't get house-insurance if you own any of the four breeds,thats bad enough...but if you lie and do not include your dog in the policy and he bites someone you are not covered.
I think everyone here are responsible owners and look after their dogs and have them trained.
I would not worry too much,I am sure there will be more news about this...and protests.
I for one would like to see irresponsable cat-owners get a licking,who let their cats roam around freely and get my cats fighting mad,it would ease the burden on HS and save many cats from injury and death.
Oh by the way,SPRING is here(for today!)saw my first Robin!!!!
and I was outside with my cats for an hour it was great! +15C
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Allright mona_b SMARTASS point taken . But surely when certain *******s are charged with animal neglect or abuse they should not be allowed to own an animal again and maybe even go as far as to inquire with the breeder if enough information was collected on the potential owners. All I'm saying more could be done....P.S. thanx for the heads up on the initials. I was shaking my head at myself for GSD. However GSHP never would have got.
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I found out that a company called The Citadel thinks that large dogs are a great deterrent to break ins and will insure you. Someone mentioned something about a discount with big dogs too.
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

chico,I never said anything about banning the breed.

I was refuring to my brother and house insurence.Spoiled was asking about that when it came to police and service dogs.And what will happen to them.

Hey Chany..... ......LOL
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Mona,I remember your brothers beautiful dog...
Somewhere in one of the posts,someone mentioned banned breeds not you
I am sure they'll make exceptions for working dogs,are they not insured by the police-force?
The sad part is,that Pitts like the ones at Pit-Crew will have an even slimmer chance at being adopted out...
But hopefully all this will not happen,we'll just have to wait and see.