Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 20th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Question need help birthing kittens.

I have stood hoplessly by and watch three kittens die during birth this last week. I'm so sad!
What can I do first to assist in delivery when mommy is have a difficult time pushing the baby out. I've tried gently pulling down on the kitten with each contraction.....but it takes so long that then the baby isn't breathing.
So secound what can I do tho help them breath? I rud them to help stimulate; and do the arch swing, and I even tried Dopran (sp).
What more can I do. Is there some training I can take? Or artical that would help me help them?
Renee
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you a breeder? Take your cat to the vet.
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,if he is a breeder I don't think he would post a question here,but would know to take the cat to the vet.....just another sad situation Boy,my cats are lucky!!!!!!
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
banned user

OY!
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I forgot,Cattitude,when this is over if the mom makes it,please have her spayed so this does not happen again...
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lucky,if he is a breeder I don't think he would post a question here,but would know to take the cat to the vet
Sadly, this is very often NOT true! IF you follow the link under this person's post, it takes you to a cat breeder site. One of the brags on that site is "Prices that can't be beat." NOT a main draw that reputable breeders would use.

So either this person is too unknowledgeable to know when a cat needs a vet,(shouldn't be breeding!!) or the vet bill will cut into the profits, and letting kittens die is way cheaper than treating them. AFter you, you can have another batch!
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,that just shows how naive and gullible I am in my old age
I thought he was just another ignorant cat owner,I did not look any further than his/her post.
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have stood hoplessly by and watch three kittens die during birth this last week. I'm so sad!
NO YOU DID NOT!!!

You could (and should) have called the vet!

And if your really soooo "sad" then you would have taken the cat to the vet.

Honestly...
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:35 PM

Acctually I went to two vets during this time and spent well over $700. The vets were very knowlagable, but I want the knowledge myself. Some sittuations that arise need immediate assistance. like the one that came up in the middle of the night. I drove to the emergency vet but it was a good 45 min drive even at the speed I was driving. So it was not that I didn't seak vet help when needed, just that I wanted to educate myself futher.

I appoligize for posting here. I was looking for help, this was NOT the place to come. Instead of help I recieved self rightous post back. And absoutly NO help.
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Look, your original post had absolutely NO mention of any vet care whatsoever. Do you think we can read minds?

You spent 700$ and the kittens died anyway? I don't understand that part..did they die at the vet's? And if they did, with knowledgeable and professional care right there, how do you think we can help?

Anyone who is deliberately breeding animals should know that birthing emergencies can very well come up in the middle of the night.

You should have a relationship with your vet so that he/she will be ready to assist you should your cat need help giving birth. This is part of the responsibilty of breeding.

It's wonderful that you want to educate yourself, but you should have done that BEFORE you bred this cat! Reputable breeders have the knowledge and the equipment to help for most emergencies and still have a vet on call.

Breeding right is not an expensive undertaking.
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM

Why is it that people always think the worst?
Yes I was at the vets when all three died, two of one litter and one of another, and I have breed kitties for 30 some years...well almost all my life because my mom did also.
One vet vist was for a C section, The other was for a stuck kitten in the middel of the night at the emergency vet.

I was looking for new information. I'm always trying to learn. Especially when things like this happen. I'ts like I want to protect myself, and my kitties from any other tragidy (sp).

This was the first time I was in this board, I thought I would have a vet reply. Some new vet might have had a new bit of information for me was all I was thinking.

I'm sorry, this is just not what I thought I was "getting into".
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

You guys spoke for me......Amen

Your looking for new information on what???????????

If your looking for new information,then why not talk to people in the cat clubs you are associated with?

Or are you not associated with any?

Do you show your cats?
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why is it that people always think the worst?
Because around here, we mostly HEAR the worst. Time and time again, people come here with deathly ill and suffering animals who they refuse to take to the vet and expect us to miraculously cure them over the net.

People here let their tabby cats have litter after litter, with the excuse that they can't afford spaying, or neutering - or any care at all.

When your first post here contains only this info:

Quote:
I have stood hoplessly by and watch three kittens die during birth this last week
what are we supposed to think? Can you see why we were skeptical?

Now that you have clarified things, little by little, we understand better!

We are more than willing to try and help anyone who is doing right by their animals.
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Usually you get us not vet replies!! They come around from time to time but unfortunately this isn't a 24 hr emergency vet response board.

Most of us are quick to jump on situations if we feel that there is potential danger to a pets well being. We've seen some very horrific things!
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Before you get mad at us - please go back and read your initial post. We only have the information you give us, and we give advice accordingly. Mostly, the advice is the same - take the animal to the vet.

If someone called you on the phone, told you exactly what you told us in your first post, what would you say?

Look through the vet archives and see what kinds of things get posted on a daily basis. Then you will know why we think the worst.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Cattitude,please read your post,then you might understand some of the angry responses and you might point out where you mention a VET
Reading your post,I pictured this poor cat in labor and you kneading and pulling at these babies,who died...a horrible picture!
The animal is always our concern in this Forum and the way you described it your cat was in dire need of a Vet.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:39 AM

Your right! I looked through some of those old post.
I wonder if these same people would have denied themselfs a doctor in a simular situation?
I appoligize for my previous misconceptions.

I have been looing around and have heard of a at home vet assistant course. .. But no one seems to know the name of it. Do
any or you?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Try doing a google search for online college courses. Or ask your vet, he might know of something local.

Welcome to the forum. We are all glad that you took your cat to the vet and I am sorry for your loss. My mom raised pomeranians when I was a child and we lost two litters in one week. I know how heartbreaking that is.

If you stick around, you will find that lots of people think that they can find answers to their pet's medical problems online.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
banned user

After reading threw the posts......something doesn't sit right with me?

Why didn't these vets do a c- section? You spent $700 on what?

Did the Vet find a cause for the deaths?

Too many questions not enough answers?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:48 AM

On the c section I had one baby born live. Then she laborded for another hour without producing a kitten. So I took her in. They did a c section but lost the two remaining kittens. Then I had her spayed. That was $500 with antibotic to take home and including the vet visit the day before labor to make sure she was okay. A procedure I do as a routine when one of the girls is due.

The other vist was at the emergency vets at night $125 to retrieve the stuck kitten. It died also. $74 for the vet visit the day before and a check up after the emergency visit , my vet came to my house for this visit so as not to stress her futher. Octtocin clean out shot, and Amx for after the birth. ...(routine as I said before on the prior vet visit).
The money wasn't the question thought. The death of the kittens was.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

How many times are you breeding the one cat?

Also,after the first litter,how long are you waiting before you breed her again?

Also,have you talked to the cat(persian) clubs you are associated with to get more information as to why this was happenening?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:05 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I taketh you aren't going to breed anymore, atleast I hope not!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link for you to read.

Read the whole thing.

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...ngkittens.html
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM
banned user

Cattitude. Your first post doen't make sense then? If you took the pregnant cat to the vet...why did you say in first post you pulled the first one out? and the others later? You tried to revive them?

Ummmmm I don't know about this?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:29 AM
banned user

Doozy me but what is Dopran?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

Thank You Mona, The artical is good.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Your welcome.

Now could you please answer the questions I asked you?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM

Mona,
I really didn't talk to any cat clubs. I did have an insightful conversation with my vet. She told me that there wasn't anything I had "done wrong" but.....sometimes things just go wrong. She also said that persian were hard to breed because (as the artical mentioned) of difficult delivers. She also gave me some tips.....I just thought I would look for more information on my own.
The cat with the c section had had three litters in the past all uneventful. She is five. I usually breed three times in two years.
With this girl it was less.
The other one with the stuck kitten it was her first litter.
As far as giving up breeding?I couldn't, It is a part of me. I love the Persian and my lines are very healthy and I'm working on dieasse restance. It seems this is somthing this lovely breed needs. My vet has worked closely with me for several years.
Like I said I thought this forum was to ask another vet, to get some different advice. I was hopping to get some new information.
Again thank you for the artical, I really didn't learn anything new, but it does show that you were trying to be helpful.
Also thqank You to Lavender rott, I appreciate your understanding as well.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

There is someone on this board who breeds Abbys - she may have some advice to offer, but haven't seen her for awhile.

Most of us don't breed, so can't offer too much advice. The last litter I deliberately bred was in 1977, and I still regret doing that.

Here is a place for you to go! This is a great site, and if you scroll down, you will see a forum called "Breeder's Corner". The people there seem very reputable and may be able to help you.
The Cat Site
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh I see you are a registered breeder of persians then?

My mistake I thought u were a backyard breeder so to speak.