Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Can someone recommend....

a good catfood? Maxie is 3-4 months old; we've only had her for 2 weeks. i've been feeding her whiskas canned food mixed with special kitten dry food. She is growing but not getting any chubbier. Is this normal? Is this a good combination of food? playful, lovable and sleeps well. There aren't any problems with her but I figured she'd gain some weight. Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

4 month old kittens are usually so active that they don't keep weight on.

I have a 4 month kitten right now. She eats like a pig, yet is very skinny and leggy. I've taken to calling her "Gumby".

As long as your kitten is healthy, active and happy and has bright eyes, good coat, etc. I would'nt worry. Lean cats live much longer and healthier lives than chubby ones!

Have you ever had her dewormed?
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM

I am currently using Hartz worm capsules. I live three hours away from the vet so I called their office and asked what they recommended and that was what they told me to do. I guess you are right when you say they're too active to gain weight. Thanks for replying.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to say that I do not agree with using pet store wormers. They are useless for tapeworms. You need to take a stool sample and have it analyzed for worms - tapeworms are very very common.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it Whiskas Kitten?
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:39 PM

The whiskas is for cats and kittens; its the chunky chicken kind. What would you recommend?
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Well for my 6 month old kitten,I have been feeding him Preformatrin canned and dryed.It's for kittens.I also fed it to my 2 1/2 year old cat when she was a kitten.But I'm not sure if your pet store carries it or not.

I have to agree with LR about the pet store de wormers.

When I adopted my Casper at 8 weeks.I took him to the vet to have him checked after he got neutered.The vet gave me de worming medicine.I had to give it to Casper by syringe every 2 weeks,1/2ml till he was 4 months.Then he got 1ml once a month till he was 6 months.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:53 PM
banned user

Just went threw the tape worm dilema! Please go to the vets and get a proper de wormer. You will be happier and so will your baby>
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the concern about the worm treatment. I'll call the vet on Monday and make an appointment. What can I expect at this visit? This is my first kitten. She is loved by everyone in the household and she has the run of the house . I know I'd want the best for my kids so why not for Maxie??
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

You can expect the vet to check her ears, eyes and heart and you must bring a stool sample for the worm check.

He'll weigh her and feel her tummy and examine her for fleas, skin probs etc. and you can also get him to show you how to clip her nails. (I'm a nail clipping fanatic!)

If she is 4 months old, you can have her spayed next month.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Excuse me if I seem "stupid" for asking this but I thought fleas were a concern for the summer months and not this time of the year?? I'm going to have her spayed if it's the last thing I do!!!
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Fleas can be a concern any time, depending on where you got your kitten. If she came from a barn, or pet store - fleas are always a possibility.

And no questions are stupid! It's great you want to learn to take the best care you can of Maxie.

Quote:
I'm going to have her spayed if it's the last thing I do!!!
Don't make that the LAST thing you do!
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

FWIW, I think it's unnatural to feed only one brand for the life of a cat or dog...it makes them so fussy and intolerant of slight changes in diet. (Just my .02)

I mix & match different premium brands...mostly Felidae dry + canned, but I often buy smaller bags of things like Azmira, Royal Canin, Natural Balance, etc and mix them in.