Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Cat drooling after antibiotic dose

My vet is closed til Monday, and I've kind of already made my own decision but wanted to know if anyone else ever had this. My cat, Mallory (for those of you unaware of her current 'saga') had a tooth pulled on Wednesday, and the vet gave me antibiotic drops to give her, as it's impossible to get anywhere near her with a pill. I already had drops at home from the week before, but the vet said she was giving me something stronger. Anyway, it's .5 ml 2x a day. The first day, all went well. But Friday morning, when I gave her the dosage, she immediately began to severely drool afterwards. As the antibiotic is (sorry) kind of drool color, I thought maybe I missed or something. On Friday night, the same thing happened again. I began to think that this was some kind of reaction to this particular antibiotic (Synulox, clavulanate potentiated amoxycillin). This worried me, so, this morning as Mallory is eating well and acting better every day, I gave her the original antibiotic drops that I had (the weaker one) Betamox (amoxycillin), as I didn't like her reaction to the first one. I figured giving the Betamox was better than nothing, and better than the severe reaction she had to the Synulox. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't have hesitated to take her off the meds either, but I'm not sure about starting a different one - if you're seeing the vet tomorrow and the cat is improving, there's probably no harm in letting her go without until then.

When one of my cats had oral surgery, he drooled before and for awhile after, but the fact that it seems to be a reaction to the drug is a bit weird. No doubt the vet will be able to find the cause. Good luck to Mal.

Last edited by badger; January 20th, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Cat drooling after antibiotic dose

Thanks for the feedback, Badger. I didn't think the switch would be too bad, as both medications are amoxycillin based, but you're probably right, and I'll stop the meds for tomorrow, as I'll bring her back to the vet on Monday. Proably better for her anyway, as now I want her to eat and gain back the weight that she lost during the tooth saga, and the antibiotics would upset her stomach - at least they do mine!!
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Do cats drool when they're nauseous like dogs do? If they do, then maybe if you can get the kitty to eat before her meds, it would help...
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by prin
Do cats drool when they're nauseous like dogs do? If they do, then maybe if you can get the kitty to eat before her meds, it would help...
They can. Once one of my kittys drooled and foamed after medication, I can't remember what it was but I think it just had a really bad taste. Food would probably help if the directions don't say otherwise. Also masking it in food when she takes it might help. Some cat's are allergic to certain antibiotics so you may need a different one.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:01 AM

I'd call the vet Monday and ask what to do. Could be that the antibiotics taste yucky and they make her drool. Could also just be that her mouth is sore from having a tooth pulled. Good luck, I hope your kitty feels better soon.
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Piper did this with a sulfa antibiotic. Looked worse than it was.. Some cats just hate the taste. Perhaps try hiding it in Tuna or Salmon.