Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Parrots, Dogs and Raisins

I'm interested in what people think. I have recently read about dogs and raisin / grape toxicity. I have 3 parrots who eat (have eaten for a number of years) a parrot mix that includes raisins. We got a dog for the first time in September of this year. The dog, 70 lb American Pitbull Terrier, has taken to eating ever thing the birds drop out of their cages. We sort of thought it was cute because we have less mess to clean up. I'm pretty sure the dog has been getting a few raisins off the floor right from the time we got her. This is a big problem right now as it seems impossible to keep the dog away from the bird cages, birds really don't take well to having their food changed but were pretty attached to this dog and would feel terrible if something happened. Anybody have any solutions or what do you think a couple of raisins now again won't matter?
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Pick most of the raisins out and give them to your bird as a treat.That's what I do.I wouldn't panic if my dog ate the odd one here or there.But I wouldn't let him get ahold of one a day....Good luck!
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM

First, welcome!

Second... Do you have just one big cage for the three parrots? Or three small cages? If the latter is the case, I would suggest raising the cages onto tables or somewhere where even if the birds drop something from their cages, the dog cant get to it. If you cant do that, or even if you can, the "Leave it" command would be a very useful thing to teach him. That way if he does go after a raisin on the floor, or if he goes after something else that could harm him, you can stop him. That takes training and Tenderfoot (a member here) can be of great help for that.

Hope that helps!
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I wonder if there's something that resembles a raisin, but tastes pretty awful. Might put the dog right off going for them. Our first dog loved grabbing stuff if you dropped it.....grapes especially, an olive got dropped once, he thought it was a grape, grabbed it as usual before we could stop him. The look on his face was priceless....he spat out every little bit and never went after a grape again.

Cindy
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:45 AM

We fed our puppy grapes in the first few weeks we got him (unknowing that they are toxic). He didn't have too bad a side effect, until he threw up and believe me for a new dog owner, the vomit wasn't pleasant. It came out like a huge sausage (and was almost as big as the puppy). That was when we discovered this site and since then have learned all (or at least most) of the different things we shouldn't feed our dog. He's now a year and healthy. So having seen what a few grapes can do, I'd figure out a way to make the raisins taste horrible (possibly a bitter spray). Maybe if he had one with that on it, he wouldn't want anymore. Good luck