Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

View Poll Results: Which part of pet clean up do you dislike most?
I hate shedding issues most. 11 33.33%
I hate poop-scooping most. 13 39.39%
I love to clean up after my animals. 6 18.18%
Can't decide. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Live well, laugh often

Shedding vs Poop Patrol Poll

OK, we all love our animals to pieces but there are some not great aspects to being a pet lover. I was doing my two least favorite things today. One is vacumning up all the animal hair that floats around my house and the other was poop-scooping the yard. I was trying to decide which was worse ... dealing with shedding ... or picking up poop.

I vote shedding to be my least favorite . With two dogs and two cats it seems non-stop. I really should be vacumning every few days but I hate housework so really it usually only happens weekly unless company is expected.

So what does everyone else think?
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so used to the hair by now...got it down to a science. But the poop...ah, hate it. I do it and keep on top of it so it doesn't get ahead of me, but I wish I could hire someone to come clean the litter and dog poop each day.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I have poop issues. I vomit every time I'm on that patrol. In fact, I put in the TJT last night that we disrupted Jesse's schedule and she pooped in two places in the house yesterday (my poor baby) and I had to leave it for honey when he came home. I shut the door and opened the window.
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I can honestly say,poop,hair,vomit as long as it is from my kitties does not bother me one bit,I've cleaned up after them for many,many years...now,if it is human that's another story
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm with Chico...I've had dogs so long that there's nothing they can put on the floor that surprises me or grosses me out anymore (although when our poop eater threw up a "lovely morsel" on the bed once I did get a little upset... ). Cleaning up in the yard forces me to get outside for a while each day--that's good. And despite all my grousing about the vacuuming, it is rather satisfying watching all those monster hair balls get sucked up...

So I picked "I love cleaning up after my pets" and am almost totally sincere about it.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Remembering Lukka

Doesn't bother me to clean the yard of poop, or clean the interior of fur. By the amount of fecal matter I see when I walk my dog in the park, I would say it is a very big issue for lots of people to pick up the poop.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Honest Contributor

the shedding! not that they shed much at all year-round (except for twice a year when they blow their coats... now that is vaccuum WW3) BUT it's all that pale fur stuck to my black clothes i could really do without the fluff bunnies in the room corners, too... but oh well. i do love to pet my big soft bears and run my hands through their thick fur... guess it's a price to pay...

i hardly ever pick poop up anymore, except the occasional messes in the house and those are so rare, it's ok. the kids only poop once, sometimes twice per day and it's little walnuts, and since i take them out running in this huge deserted field every evening, i don't pick it up. makes good fertilizer, LOL! we don't have a back yard.

so yeah. down with the shedding!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Helicopter Champion

None of the clean up really bothers me anymore. When I first started picking up crap (with the bag over the hand method) I recall almost gagging on the sidewalk. I thought to myself, what is worse, a pile of crap in the grass or a pile of puke on the sidewalk. Now I pick it up, sometimes comment to the wife that Lucy's is soft today or Jack's is a bit dry .... ewwwwww).

As for the hair, we are so used to it that we hardly even notice it. Monty's hair would form into wonderful little tumbleweeds that would migrate across the house (the last remaining tumbleweed from him is in a little gap between our fridge and cupboards ... I can't bring myself to vacuum it up just yet). We hit the main areas with a dustbuster every few days to keep it all under control.

Hair is a funny thing, at times we'll sit down to eat supper and notice a hair in the food. The other day my wife pulled a Lucy hair out of her dinner, set it aside and kept eating. The next day, after having visitors stop by, she found a hair that was non-dog and didn't belong to me or my wife, she was pretty grossed out by it.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Hunter don't shed very much at all, while Cassie sheds a lot, but I have just learned to deal with the hair...

The poop scooping I would rather leave to the dear old bf but if it comes down to it, I don't mind that much (just don't tell him )
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
-

With only 2 dogs I don't mind either,poop or fur. But with 4 it's another story
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Summit, our GSD, sheds A LOT. I don't mind the vacuuming, it's the hair on your clothes and in food, etc. that bothers me. Brie, the chihuahua, is so small that when she starts to shed the hair will hardly be noticeable.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
owned by Tucker

Shedding for sure, at least with poop its in one spot more or less but the fluffies get everywhere.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Poopies. Definitely. I'm so used to the shedding.
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Buster doesn't shed too much...so I picked poopies!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Kitty Consort

Interesting poll Terri!

Well, cant say I "love' the cleanup.. but picked this one as the most appropriate. After seven years, I'm so used to it all that I cant say it bothers me that much at all.
My dog is non-shedding and his poops so tiny they are tootsie roll size, so not any problems there.

The 3 cats actually require a lot of cleanup, scooping the boxes the least of the chores.
All are long haired and bigtime shedders. One coughs up hairballs on a regular basis,and occassionally poops beside the box instead of in it :
Another gets feces stuck to her behind if the region is not kept trimmed. This is the one cleanup that has the most factor..
Extricating poop imbedded into long fur might make some a bit queasy.. but guess I am de-sensitized.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM

I don't mind the poop patrol; I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about it actually. Same with flushing the toilet......

I can't stand the hair. Oh, the hair!! I'm lucky with Mocha that he doesn't really shed (that I can see), but I once looked after my roommates dogs and I seriously could have made another Mocha EVERY DAY with the hair they lost. I was a maniac with the vaccuum, sometimes cleaning three or four times a day. So, a couple of months later, I wanted to paint the living room and pulled off the baseboards. Guess what I found?? A small animal's worth of doggy hair.....aggghhhh!!!

It gets everywhere, especially on my dress uniform, and then I'll go through a roll of packing tape to de-hair myself.

So, long story short.....I despise the hair...
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I clicked the wrong dealy off.. I meant to click that i hated poop patrol... especially in the spring time the stuff that manages to get hidden under snow is horrendous come spring
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Wow, I never thought so many would pick hair...
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:13 AM
-

I'll tak poop anyday no matter how squishy or smelly. Ya pick it up, put it in the organics bin and it's gone. But hair? Hair, hair, hair...it's everywhere.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Wow, I never thought so many would pick hair...
yeah ditto

At least hair doesn't stink

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
cat slave

fur?? what fur? fur balls are lucky charms and i have PLENTY!

i'd pick poop scooping.....scooping diarrhea poop and then realizing there's a hole in the bag and i didn't bring extra bags

or pet vomit ....and vomit that has undigested food pellets