Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Kongs

What type of Kong should I buy my dog?

He is a Minurature Poodle X, who is 14 months old at this time.

Should I get him a small puppy Kong, which is for puppies 4-9 months old, or should I get him a medium puppy Kong, which is also for puppies 4-9 months old?

Should I get him a regular Kong that is small, or a medium Kong?

I'm confused.

Also, should I get him a Kong at all? He tends to like small, fluffy, light toys. Kongs are supposed to be what all dogs love, is that true?
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Some dogs like Kongs, some don't. Mine don't pay any attention to them unless they are stuffed with food. Daphne the Destructo-Rott has the black "indestructible" large Kongs in pieces in less than an hour.

He's your dog, you know what size would fit him best. If he doesn't like it they have a 100% money back guarantee.
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog, like Carina's and many others, has no interest in Kongs unless they are stuffed with treats. She much prefers bones.

She LOVES stuffed toys, especially ones with squeakers in them, however she rips them to shreds in seconds.

Your dog might really enjoy the stuffies, and I'm sure they'll last longer than mine do!
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Do I get money back if I get a Kong that is about the right size for a Toy Poodle that is 4-9 months old, when the dog using it is 14 months old and a Mini Poodle?

I'm not sure, my dog likes bouncy balls a lot, so he might just view a Kong as a ball filled with treats.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Why don't you try one of the barbell shaped balls...ball on each end with handle in the middle..they usually have a bell inside them. They're great...and a plush with a sqeaky inside.
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:02 PM

kongs

All of the kongs have a description on them to tell you what size you need for what dog. For safety it would be better to have one slightly too large than too small if your stuck choosing between 2 sizes. I have 2 dogs a beagle and a bluetick about 40 lbs size difference so I had to get them both the size that fit the larger size dog so no one chokes when I'm not there.
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

He doesn't like the barbell ones very much, and I've never seen one at any of the stores around town. If I get him a bigger Kong I'm not sure if he'll treat it like a bouncy ball. I don't think he'd even like it. The plush toys, well, I got one for him and he likes it, but not very much. He seems to like pom-poms, but I can't find any that are strong enough so he can't pull them apart.
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Kong also sells a biscuit ball that you can cram milkbones in different ways to keep your dog busy. and it rolls around like a ball. it is made for small and medium size dogs. They have these planet kong goodie ships too. here is a link that shows these different kong products.

http://www.kongcompany.com/dlist.html
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Dee.

But I'm still wondering, if I get the wrong Kong for my dog, and my dog doesn't like it, will they refund my money?

And also, my dog needs an in between Kong. One that is a little smaller than medium. Thats why I'd want to get him the small one, because he'd probably like it more than a larger thing that he could hardly carry around.
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Good news. Today I went to the store and bought him a Kong. He loves it. I filled it with treats and he chewed them all out, and now he's just playing nicely on the floor with it. Thanks for all the help. I think that he's going to have a new favourite toy from now on