Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM
chronically insane.

My cat just had a litter

Okay I was on here 2 days ago when my cat was going into labor.. well she delieverd all 3 babies okay and they are all doing fine.

The thing is shes becoming less interested in them by the day. I know they have only been alive since Tuesday night/Wednesday AM (around midnight from tuesday changing to wednesday is when they were born)

but she is so young still and now that she knows they are all fine she seems to not want to have to spend her time with them.

I woke up this morning and she was wondering around my room and i figured she just needed to go potty and she did and i fell back asleep and when i finnaly woke up she still was roaming around my room and the kittens were all alone and not as warm...

So im getting kinda worried... right now she seems more interested in going back to her normal life of playing with my other cat (6months/male/neuterd) then taking care of them...

And she keeps sitting on them and laying on them too... and they are screaming and shes not helping them so i have to keep helping her out by pulling them out from under her and i mean i cant baby sit her alllll the time and im just worried

is she just a little confused or like should i be worried? i was with her the whole time she was in labor she wouldnt let me leave she would go balistic and now she keeps pretty much asking for help with them...
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you're going to have to confine her in one room, away from the other cat, so she has fewer distractions.
Make sure the babies are warm. A heating pad set on LOW (and taped there so there are no accidents) and covered with several layers of blanket or towel, would help.
Is she licking their bums? This encourages them to pee and poop and is essential; for the first few weeks, they can't go without this stimulation. If she is not doing it, you will have to, with a warm cloth, just rub gently around the area.
If they are not getting enough to eat, you may have to hand-feed them. The vet sells formula for baby kittens.
Good luck!
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:55 PM
chronically insane.

yes, shes licking them and cleaning them and feeding them.

she just seems to be a little upset shes confined to a box with them... shes very bored and i try to pay as much attention to her as she needs but I think she misses roaming the house and looking out the window she she keeps getting upset and walking away from them and becoming confused and sitting on them...
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Performance Spaniels

Not all animals make good mothers. Especially young animals. It may get to the point where you have to look after the litter yourself is she won't.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

It has been my experience that even with cats who are older moms, they may not want to e with the kits all the time. (and they do need time outm, like any human mom) which is why we mjust be there to help them. Most mother cats tho NEVER leave or are disinterested in their kittens at te age you mention. (But some older ones can be and certainly young moms, uie - under age one when they have no biz having babies - it is not healthy for them amg other reasons but I am assuming this is a rescue or an unplanned problem - some purebreds become fertile even as young as 4 mos, very scary!!)

Anyway, youi will need to help her, Get some kitten milk (KMR) and help to feed the kittens if you notice they are not getting all the nutrition they need. Keep her confined or she may even wander off (I had thet happen with a :stray" pregnant cat who landed in our home once and had four kittens I thought I would be hand rearing - something I'd already had experience in and did not want any more but we did get some Cat's milk (if you are in a rural area with no access to Cat's milk (KMR) , you can get by with evaporated milk and water, heated - I would use bottled water since kittens have since bay kits have such sensitive tummies). Another recipe I have used is:

1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1 egg yolk
a pinch of salt

Warm over medium heat. Heat the formula so it feels slightly warm to the touch. All of my kittens have refused to swallow the formula if it was too cold or too warm. The same was true for KMR.

- use a syringe or dropper to feed the kits. Make sure mama licks their little behinds after they have eaten since kits

- and as MafiaP noted, please keep them warm. That is absolutely critical - you can buy warmers or use a heating pad on low (but covered with blankets so they are warm but not overheated) or one of thise arthritis "bean bags" heated in the microwave. Aain, wait till it is not too hot.

Show mama how to care for her kittens because if she is a feral or if she herself was a bottle baby, she may have not have the best ability to be a mom. But some - and this applies more to young moms (Nature really does not mean for cats under one year old to have kittens) - cats never make good moms.

You can also get or make a kind of apron and keep them near you so they feel your body heat. But try to teach mama to do her part and you can be the adjunct mother and mentor. <g>

Watch for weak kittens since regarless of mam's ability to care for them, she needs your help here. It is fairly easy to notice a weak one. These kittens are generally pushed around during feeding and may not receive enough nourishment from their mother to ensure survival.

Some signs of a runt or abnormally weak kitten:
smaller size or cool body temperature
a tendency to be ignored by the other kittens and the mother
poor nursing abilities
infrequent nursing
a listless appearance.

You will need to feed these kittens extra KMR and keep a close watch on them with your vet on speed dial. (This is one of the reasons I know credible breeders I know - the few that exist) find it an extremely expensive hobby!!! The vet bills alone are enough to dissuade anyone from becoming a breeder. (Then again, I have my own vet on speed dial, over cautius meomy that I am!)

While yours are not iorphaned, this page provides some tips and expands on some of the info I discussed:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/kittens3.html