Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2002, 05:38 PM

Unhappy How to control him outside!!!

I have had my Siberian Husky for about 6 weeks now. He has taken to me incredibly. So far, I have been training him and we have been doing pretty good. But I find he gets distracted extremely easily and that the only way I can really get him to listen is if he knows I have treats in my pocket. I want to be able to walk without a leash and when another dog or something else around us moves, he has to check it out. He also has a biting habit, he doesn't chew anything in the house, we can even leave him for a few hours alone and nothing. Next week he will be 6 months old and I don't want him to continue with any bad habits however, I am not sure as to what I should do to get him to stay by me and ignore the outside world or what I should do to get him to stop biting. Other than that, we are pretty much good with everything else. ( Except his rough playing can be scary when a child wants to come near and he gets excited) Should we go to a training school and how do I choose one that won't break his spirit yet will teach him to obey?
Thanks for your help, desperatly trying everything...
Angela Clermont
Old January 20th, 2003, 10:52 PM

hello fellow husky parent! have you tried any bite inhibition techniques, for example: when the dog bites your hand, keep your hand in their mouth(do not pull away, they will think this is a game) and screeching "ouch". if you try this consistantly for a week or two this should help. a puppies attention span is very limited at this age, especially a huskies, work with the treats and breakl it up a little, example..... sascha sit,yes, good sit, give treat.
sascha sit, yes,good sit, lots of love.(sound excited).
We strongly recommend puppy training classes and that's not a plug because we are dog trainers but Huskies are just like 6 year old kids wired on chocolate and suffering from lack of sleep. 2 of them own us and we have been around huskies and various kinds of dogs for 20 odd years.

Off leash walking is so not recommended for any dogs under 5 years old because they are still unpreditable no matter how obedient they may be and that is a good way for you to lose your friend. Huskies have a natural instinct to Run at top speed for as long as they can and they have no fear at all. Most common cases in Husky deaths is being hit by a Vehicle. Feel free to PM us for any more info.