Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 8th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

ticked off

Two years ago on March 6th, I came home from a partial right mastecomy. My choice, no radical. (My second Sx in two weeks) Ciara shoved her precious bone under my chin as I layed on the couch. She looked at me as if she was saying.."mom. have a good chew..it works for me." She is so protective of her bone bones.(no typo, that is the name for them) She gave that up for me!
I will not mention the guy she sent to the hospital Christmas Eve for trying to rip me out of my Blazer. Road rage..she was in the back ..tinted windows. Police report, hospital alert, job done..he did the same thing two weeks later and is serving time.

I will do anything possible for my dog..I even hate that word some times...she is a canine but I forget. I could not have a better friend.
Now, it is her turn. I will not have any more mammograms. My oncologist is upset to say the least. No more treatments. Forget that.
This is my opinion. I am allowed that. I live alone .
I DO stress getting a mammogram as prescribed by your doctor.
This is my choice and I am in the relay for life.
Geez I type too much!

Karin & Ciara
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Karin,you are one brave lady with one brave wonderful dog..
Quote:
carpe diem
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks Chico.

I am still getting use to this board.

In my life I have killed thousands....I cried for every one. Later, I found myself drawn to no kill shelters. I loved the concept , but keeping a life alive to meet their fate anyway, a given. while taking away from the healthy with a chance to go on...to much.
I have seen animals grow up and live for 7 years in a cage, un adoptable because all they think about is escape! And that is all they do.
No kill shelters are not qualified for funding. The private sector is what they rely on.
Sorry, I get riled.

Spay & Neuter....there is no excuse.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Karin

Spay & Neuter....there is no excuse.
Hear hear!
And welcome, Karin & Ciara.
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Karin. I ditto Carina's words.
I am not even going into why you say you killed thousands,I assume you worked at or owned a shelter.
As for our four-legged friends,yes,they are so much more than just cuddly and fun,they are our shoulder to cry on,our safety blanket when everyone else around you fails,total devotion and love no matter what and their value cannot be measured in dollars,be it a scraggly rescue or a purebred beauty,a cat or a dog..
Oh boy,am I getting sentimental..must be my age
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't believe that ANY life is better than NO life. No-kill shelters, while striving to save every animal (we have one here) are sometimes not shelters at all, but concentration camps and warehouses for animals.

I have personally seen cats and dogs dying horrible and agonizing deaths, because these people do not believe in euthanization.

I personally believe an animal is better off dead than caged for life, or suffering to the last second with a terminal illness.

Karin, sorry to hear of the struggle you are going through.
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Karin, I agree you are one brave woman and you have a brave dog.

LR, I know of one no-kill shelter that if the dog is in agony and not getting better and is also taking a turn for the worst they will euth. It's not an easy decision for them as they are a no kill shelter but to better the dog or cat and give them peace they do that.

The dog I"m referring to is Angel. She was a Pit Bull. She wasn't handling the shelter life very good. She was stressed and very ill, they were hoping she would find a good home in time and might be able to save her. They even had her down as Urgent. She never got to go to a loving caringhome. for they euth her b/c she was in soo much agony. They said it was the only decision they could make and put her at peace so she wouldn't suffer anymore. They onlywanted the best for her, and with that tough decision theymade i think they did what was best for Angel.

RIP Angel.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Let us throw this in another direction, what vet would give you even a hello in the hall of the movie theater for less than $150.00.
NON vets get you coming and going. Perform unneeded tests and charge you a fortune for nothing.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM

I am sorry that some people have had such bad experiences with vets.

I know of many vets that will examine and diagnose animals for less than $150.00. For instance, a secretary in our office who is a single mom of two kids and therefore of very limited means, had a cat accidently ingest a sewing needle and the emergency vet not only performed surgery, kept the cat on IV for several days, had multiple followup visits and intravenous antibiotics (the cat got an infection that, sadly, ultimately killed him) and in the end only charged her $500.00 - and this in the city of Vancouver.

One does have to remember, however, that vets, especially in large urban centres have extremely high overhead. Space, employees and equipment. This is not to mention the fixed costs of lab tests and drugs which I think many of us forget are expensive to the vet himself/herself. On the other hand, owners have tools such as insurance that were no available many years ago.

Medical treatment for people is not cheap but people do not refuse to have medical treatment done due to the cost (and I know, someone is going to respond that people receiving medical treatment is different from animals but that is a debate that I do not want to engage in at this time...) Unfortunately and fortunately, in Canada at least, the average person has been shielded from the real cost of medical treatment due to our medical system and, in my humble opinion, simply does not realise what they types of visits, tests and treatments cost. By comparison, veterinary treatment is much cheaper.

Having animals in a person's life is not a right - it is a privilege. Unless a person is sure that he/she can afford to take care of care of an animal's physical needs - both by feeding high quality food and providing proper medical treatment - then that person should not have a pet.

Oh, and by the way, I am not a vet nor do I have a vet in my family (although my parent's vet has become a close friend of the family but that is another story )

Michelle
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Michelle, I agree with you. as I used the Human medical and pet medical as an example.

You are absolutely right.

The main point to the story is If you don't want to spend the funds to make sure your animal is healthy and alright then you shouldn't have an animal at all!!

www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Exactly Daisy!
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Except for the first post,I don't think anyone here would not seek treatment for their dog/cat.
We know right off the bat,vets cost money..and some times a lot.
I personally have not had any"bad"experience with a vet,ultimately it's your choice...
Some people are intimidated by the vet(I know one)and feel they migh not be considered good owners if they chose a different route from what the vet suggest.
One friend with a 10yr old labX put her through incredible surgery,only to see the dog ultimately bleed to death two days later...They had been torturing this poor old dog for more than a month with different treatments and a few thosand dollars later the dog died a horrific death..that's what we object too...
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I would never let an animal suffer, I am actually watching a 12 year old goat right now, very closely, it will be like losing a friend when it happens. However, I do have issue with vets who give shots, than of course 2 to 4 weeks later quite often a dog or a cat will have a reaction, the vet pulls blood and tells the owner the dog or cat has hepatitis, for the rest of the animals life it is on meds. HELLO, am I the only one who finds this a bit odd. The owner is told by the breeder go to another vet in two weeks and have blood work done again, don't give the meds. The next vet finds nothing unusual. Why didn't the vet who gave the shot and prescribed the meds know this is something that happens after shots. I spoke to quite a few people and vets are not what they use to be. Money, money. You will not find a vet who will help you out on a sunday or holiday or who will not take you to the cleaners if he or she sees a sucker. Welcome to the real world.
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the real world.
Yes, you are correct. In the "real world" there are people who will try to take advantage. There are also people who will be honest and/or try to help. This is the same in every profession and every walk of life. Please do not take your own bad experience with vets as a sign of how all of them act. If you have a vet that you feel is trying to fleece you, seek another opinion. Vets, like any other professional, are not created equally.

Maybe I am just fortunate in that I have NEVER encountered a vet that was only looking at how much money he/she could make off of me insted of looking after the best interests of my animals (and I am not suggesting that there are not vets out there who are more concerned about profit than they are care). But then again, maybe it has to do with differing approaches. For me, I would rather pay for the whole workup up front and treat the problem instead of taking shots in the dark. To this end my pets have received full blood workups, parasite screenings, skin scrapings, x-rays and ultrasounds. EVERYTIME these tests were conducted the exact problem was pinpointed and treatment was quickly and successfully provided. Unnecessary procedures? I don't think so!

Anyhow, that is my two cents. Take it as you will. I do, however, sincerely hope that you can find a vet that you trust in the near future. This is essential to the well being of both your animals and yourself.

Michelle
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have never had a problem with the vets I have had.

That's why with any vet or even a doctor it is good to get a second opinion.As we have told a few on this site.

Me personally,if I was very sick and in lots of pain and suffereing,I would want to be euthanized.Unfortunalely,there is a law for humans.We won't get into that though.

All I can say is,that if any of my animals were in pain and suffering,and my vet wanted to add more to this,I would do what my heart would say and let them go.I already had to do that with my first GSD and my cat.It was hard,but in my heart and in their eyes I knew I did the right thing.And my vet understood and didn't fight me on it.He never would.

There are good vets and there are bad vets.Goes the same for doctors too.
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Mona, it looks like we must have had the same thought at the same time
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same thing.....LMAO
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to say I love the vets I've had for the last 12 years.

They will make housecalls, let me go in after hours to have my elderly sick cats euthanized, give me discounts on care for rescued kitties, and they LOVE my pit bull!
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:43 PM

LR, everyone loves your Chole!!!!

It's impossible not to love her, just look at her cute innocent face and you fall in love instantly!

BTW, I guess miss_niki6 doesn't like our advice. Oh well, she shouldn't have asked then.

www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM

thanks luba.... been busy with the dog (Tracker)....LOL....Im still using the same alias.

Feels good to be back
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM
owned by Tucker

I don't know how anyone wouldn't do any thing for their pet. I recently had my dog put to sleep due to bone cancer he was 9 years old and had cancer in his front paw. It was a heart wrenching decission to make but it had to be done, his paw had swolen to 4 times its size and he was in pain even with pain killers. But we still had x-rays done to confirm mine and the vets minds on what was going on... When we bought Travis he cost us $50 I added up his vet bills that I have kept over the years and he had cost me almost$5000 in nine years and you know what if they could have saved him this time I would have paid $5000 more. He had been fixed and back dew claws removed, had OCD in his shoulder at 7 months repaired, at 5 years he got bloat and ended up with surgery to fix that. Some vets are good and let you pay them monthly for large vet bills then there is also pet insurance ( which I never had) I guess it all matters on how much you love your pet and where they are placed in your family. how could you say no to this face........
Attached Images

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM

sorry to hear about your dog doggy lover.

He was a handsome good looking dog.

RIP Travis.

www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Your dog has the sweetest face and I know how much you must miss that angel! I'm in the same boat you are in.
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM

just my 2 cents

Just reading through all the posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I don't think just because people can't afford thousands to save an animal means they do not love their pet or they are not being responsible. You have to consult with a vet and consider all the factors involved in treating certain conditions (and money is a factor for most people). Humans may not have to pay for all of their medical expenses, but there are times when even we humans have a prognosis that is so bad and we opt not to proceed with treatments that drag out our lives more painfully.

You shouldn't expect not to pay for routine care and visits when you see signs of illness that is your responsibility as a pet owner and also as a citizen as there are many diseases and parasites that are contagious to other animals and even humans.

When you get a pet you take on the financial responsibilities of vet care and refusing to take a sick animal in is CRUEL.

At the same time not everyone who has a dog is rich, nor do I think that a prerequisite for pet ownership needs to be that you would compromise your own shelter and food to spends thousands on your dog.

$5000.00 over many years is very different than say $5000.00 in one visit!
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I spent nearly 5 g's on my Rusty in one visit!

Surgery isn't cheap!
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:08 PM

ticked off

I would have done a total hip replacement on Ciara two years ago but I was busy with other things as I stated before. Plus I had no income. I was lucky to be a part of the veterinary & equine community and they helped (..and still do) to carry us through with meds at cost and free lab work & rads.
Unfortunatly Ciara is no longer a canidate for Sx. She gets along great anyway. Synovi MSM Glucosimine, Adequan & Deramaxx are our friends. Costly yes..I could do more. If she could have the Sx, I would get a second job or hock my truck. My mother even offered me the money, but it was a little too late. I will not have any more rads taken of her hips again. Having to pull and torque to get a good view is out of the question.
But...I will fight to keep her comfortable and happy for as long as the higher ups see fit.
I have had to euthanize so many in the past working in animal/rabies control, then the shelter enviromentand many Vets. I have counseled many with the process. I fall apart when it comes to Ciara and the same with my other that I lost in 1993.
Now I know how MD's and Pediatrician's feel when they lose someone close to them.
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
owned by Tucker

no pet care isn't cheep, we spent almost $2000 in a couple of days on Travis. But this time with bone cancer we could have amputated his front leg to the shoulder, he may have lasted another 6 months, amputate and radiation would have gove him
may be a year? But these were all questions that they could not answer the cancer could have already started somewhere else so what to do???? Also he weighed 120 lbs not a lightweight, and to take off a front leg a 9, if he was lucky he would have lived long enough to get over the surgery no not for him.. He loved to run and roam on our property up north and thats where he is forever..Having the money is not always the option
but when you get a dog, cat whatever you take on the responsibiliy to give them the best care you can get, like I said our vet if they have known you a while will let you pay in installments monthly on costly payments if you ask and there is no charge in asking.....
Old March 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Re: Ticked off!

Quote:
Originally posted by miss_niki6
Okay I realize better safe than sorry, right?
But I am a person off limited means and I think this money would have been better spent else where! I mean where do you draw the line, you love your pet and want to care for them somthing goes wrong and you have to spend a small fortune to find out what the problem is and god forbid there is a problem, they tap you for another!
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away, don't feel like you have to intervine with natural selection and save the poor soal! It is after all an animal and you can take comfort in the fact that while they were alive you gave them a good life full of love!
My dog is not spayed and I have no intensions to do so! she has never been bread and never will be, as I too am concerned about the worlds pet over population dilema.
I love my dog! thank you for letting me get this off my chest!
I think you have no idea what loving a dog actually means.

Not getting your dog spayed.

1. If a stray dog comes onto your lawn when your dog is out, and you are not around. The dog can breed with your dog and bingo, you've got pups like them or not. That ADDS to the over population.

2. In the photo, your dog appears to be a lab [medium-large sized animal]. It is a known FACT that spaying a dog increases its years to live. You say you love your dog, but you are doing nothing to try and increase it's life so that you can love it more.

About spending SOME money on your dog:

My cat, Hopeful, was run over earlier this year by a drunk driver. His hind-legs and his right fore-leg were broken, his spine fractured. It took around $8,000-$10,000 to have the surgery needed to save his life. It took 3 surgeries to get it right.

I never gave up hope on him, because I have known this cat since I was a little child, when I had pneumonia in both my lungs. He never left my side, and I was not about to do the same because of some money.

I had just turned 17 years old, and NO income... I still paid the money to see that my cat would live.

In the end, I think you should seriously rethink the dog... Before it ends up suffering cause of your selfishness.
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
My cat, Hopeful, was run over earlier this year by a drunk driver. His hind-legs and his right fore-leg were broken, his spine fractured. It took around $8,000-$10,000 to have the surgery needed to save his life. It took 3 surgeries to get it right.
Quote:
I had just turned 17 years old, and NO income... I still paid the money to see that my cat would live.
Where does a 17 year old with no income get 10,000.00 to save their cat? as if.
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM

None of my personal income.

My cousin, helped pay... why don't you try reading my other posts before you open your mouth.

Hopeful is a 10 year old blue point siamese cat. Near January 1st, this year, he was run over and his hind-legs, his right fore-leg broken, and his spine fractured. Around $10,000 later, he is back to the "normal" cat he used to be. I saved him, because many years ago, he saved me.

Tulip, Hopeful's 3 year old daughter, fixed blue point siamese.
Rex, is Hopeful's 3 year old unfixed lilac point siamese son.

Spirit, is a white Boxer who was born deaf, and is now blind for he was originally used as a fighting dog. Got him 3 months ago, he is 3 years.

Queen, is a pure-bred red/white Border Collie. She is 6 years old. She helps round up llamas on a 212 acre ranch in Colorado

Shelcka is a Mustang. Her mother was killed by foolish kids when Shelcka was a baby, and I ended up with her. She is solid black with a flaxen mane and tail. 3 years old.