Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
"I will not change my horse...

...with any that treads but on four pasterns...When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk. He trots the air, the earth sings when he touches it, the barest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes."

Shakespeare

ALLEGRA (Allie): 1982-4 DEC. 2006

...we'll still soar in our dreams, moj serce.

"Nature, when she made the Arab [horse], made no mistake." -H. Davenport

(below: Allie, April 2006)
Attached Images

Last edited by kashtin's kin; December 8th, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I am so sorry for your loss of Allie, kashtin's kin! I've never had a horse, but our neighbors have one and I know how much character they have. She looks like a sweet girl.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry for the loss of your gorgeous horsey.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Aww sorry for your loss Kashtin - I had horses growing up - the oldest one we had was 24 his name was Little John. Allie looked very sweet.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Live well, laugh often

So sorry for your loss :sad: . I had a horse as a kid and would love to get back into it. They are truly majestic animals that hold a very special place in our hearts. RIP Allie .
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM
-

So sorry for your loss, Allie was beautiful. I agree with TeriM ; they are majestic animals.
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for your loss. What a beauty
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Breathtaking Allie
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

KK,what a beautiful horse Allie was:love: so very sorry for your loss:sad:
Beautiful Allie
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

thank you...

I just wanted to say a special 'thank you'-and right back-to the folks who posted above, about my horse memorium of sorts. I was a bit hesitant to post, but I guess I was ready; this is such a supportive/positive BB, and I felt I wanted to mark "Allie's" life by putting something up here.

I got Allie as a just turned 5 year old, green-broke to ride out in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta. I had been horse crazy since my toddler years, and finally finding my equine soul-mate in my 20's was a dream come true...although it took a while for us to learn to trust each other!

For the first year we were together, I just puttered around a field with Allie, as I was too chicken to go far (which is sensible for a new horse/rider combination). Then I moved to Manitoba and trained for distance riding competitions, because a couple of gals at the barn where I boarded were into that. Because arabians excel at distance riding, they said I 'HAD' to give it a try.

Allie won just about every novice ride that first year, which was a bit weird for me; playing many sports growing up, I distinguished myself by being on losing teams a lot (had fun anyway!). Somehow Allie just had what it takes, so to speak.

We had a relatively short but enjoyable distance career-i.e. app. 3 yrs-when Allie sustained an injury while training. I gave her maximum recovery time, while I leased another Arab to compete with. It was at that point that I realized I really just wanted to ride Allie, even if we didn't compete anymore; I wanted her to last as a riding horse as long as possible.

In the years that followed, we continued to enjoy tootling along trails, roads, fields and forests-even trailering back out to Alberta to ride in the mountains. At the age of 17ish, I noticed that Allie was a tiny bit 'off' during a ride...we never really hit the trails again; it took about a year before she was diagnosed, partly because she was so negligibly lame at first.

Allie had degenerative joint disease (arthritis, more or less), and she was 'pasture sound' for the next few years, as she enjoyed her retirement...especially after I bought a pony for her to boss around.

About the time Allie went lame-ish, joint neutracuticals for equines were starting to hit the market; over the past 8 or so years I tried almost everything I could find (well, close to 20 different products). Some of those products work great for some horses, but unfortunately nothing really helped Allie.

For the past few months Allie was on a painkiller and a stomach [acid] drug; her vitals were great and she had a healthy appetite, but her mobility was slowly getting to a critical point; if she'd been a cat or dog, I could have carried her around for perhaps another year (did that once with a partially paralyzed cat), but it's hard to pick up a 1000 lb. animal...and horses are not designed to lie down for long periods.

I was just taking things one day at a time, and hoping for the best, but as the ground froze and the weather got damp it got harder for Allie. One night in early Dec., she had a particularly tough time, and after almost 20 years together (looking after her myself almost every single day) I could feel that she was going from manageable discomfort to pain.

There was nothing more I could give her, no magic wand to wave...so I sent my faithful mare across the Rainbow Bridge, where she would have peace instead of pain. She was cremated by professionals in a dignified manner; I will scatter her ashes on some trails in the spring.

As with all losses, one's heart sustains another difficult fracture; at the same time, she will live on in a corner of that same heart...and in the wind that blows, the sun that shines...

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."-Proverb

...below, Allie and I in the Rockies, circa 1993...a good day for a ride...
Attached Images

Old December 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Kashkin...you really should write about all your furbabies. You write so beautiful. I can almost feel Allie as you write about her. The bond between you 2 feels so strong.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM

My condolences to you. Beautiful Allie Run free at the Bridge! Look for my Phoenix there. God I still miss him so much.
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

my own words fail me, my deepest condolences

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM

I agree with cpietra, your writing is amazing.

What a lucky horsy to have somebody looking out for her best interests.
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.Your writing really is wonderful.What an absolutely beautiful horse.It hurts so much to lose them.What a fantastic life you gave her.It doesn't matter how long they stay with you it's never long enough.Our deepest sympathies Lisa,Rio,Jack,Happy,Folly and Arabesque.
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Post from the bottom of my heart...

thank you so much, everyone (especially those who've responded), for caring. I take much comfort from knowing that a few more people know "Allie's Story". She was my special mare-hope my pony is not reading this...she is very special in her own pony way-and sure left her hoofprint on my heart.

To those who posted above (or not) who've lost fur friends, I am thinking of you and your 'familiars' that you miss. The petloss site has a remembrance ceremony of sorts every Monday night at 10 p.m. local time, where it's suggested you light a white candle...even just figuratively. You can also follow along on the net, if you choose.

This past week I lit a candle for Allie, and also thought of loss in general; I'll continue to do that each week. It's a good way to just stop and reflect for a few minutes, although we can all 'remember' any time, and in many ways. Take care, be strong...and share a little strength if you've got some extra (I'm grateful for the strength this thread has given me ).

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse".-Robert Smith Surtees

...hope I'm not going overboard with the horse quotes; I find them 'affirming'...although there's at least one that's so poignant I don't read it anymore (for now), as I am tear duct dehydrated enough at this point.
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:46 AM

I love the horsey quotes. I've never heard them before.
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Allie in action...

When I posted the first picture of Allie, I used just about the only one I had on the computer; I really wanted to put up more of an 'action' photograph from our riding days; I found the second shot taken in the Rockies (although I would have Photoshopped me out of it if I had the technology)...

The image I had in mind was on the computer, but it was sideways, and sometimes my brain just doesn't kick into gear fully, so I gave up on that plan. However, this weekend some of my AWOL brain cells finally turned themselves in, and putting that picture 'right side up' was a breeze.

Alas, I am in this photo (any action shots I have of Allie sans moi are taken from quite a distance i.e. with a $20 NON throwaway camera, without a telephoto lens, needless to say). However, the rider part is very secondary; Allie is very much in the forefront.

What you can see of me shows a rather grim-looking rider. This is because we were descending a 75 degree slope prior to entering a river crossing; the river wasn't deep enough to require us to swim, but we'd just been told to keep well to the left, as there was some sort of whirlpool-yikes.

Add to this scenario the fact that Allie had just developed an inconvenient fondness for rearing when going downhill (physically challenging, but she was an Arabian), and I think my apprehension was justified... Oh, this picture was also taken at a national trail/distance riding competition about 1990, and the photographer had just popped out from behind a tree with her camera, surprising both Allie and I.

"A Hibernian sage once wrote that there are three things a [wo]man never forgets-the boy/girl of her/his early youth, a devoted teacher, and a great horse." C.J.J Mullen
Attached Images

Last edited by kashtin's kin; December 17th, 2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM

What a wonderful picture.Arabs are definately unique,we have a chestnut arab gelding who also enjoys headgames with his rider!I love your quotes they are so perfect in describing relationships between horses and the people who work for them.Your Allie was very lucky to have someone in her life like you,so many horses don't.