Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Annie

My dog Riley's sister from his litter was put to sleep this week... Annie, just over 2 years old.

Annie was an alpha female and kept biting the other 2 dogs in the house. The owner was either going to take her to be put to sleep or send her back to the breeder. I kept in contact with her and pleaded with her to send her back to the breeder. The night before Annie was to be put down I called the breeder and told her what was going on, and she was furious, and called the owner demanding the dog back.... they made the arrangements to ship Annie back... and then the owner never put her on the plane.

We got word today that she finally put Annie to sleep. I had told her I'd take her, but please don't do that.

Being that she was Riley's sister I am heartbroken. She was too young... she could have been trained...

So sorry I couldn't save you Annie....

Old December 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Live well, laugh often

RIP Annie. So sorry you had such an ignorant owner. Thanks for trying to help her Springermom.

What is with some vets? My vet would never put down a dog for that, she would just make the owner surrender the dog and then adopt her out to the proper home.
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I'm just completely heartbroken over it. I would have loved to foster her. I don't understand people.

And I have no idea why the vet would have done that.... originally the shelter was going to do it for her. Ugh.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Personal servant to Joey

ahh that is really sad - especially when you and the breeder both offered to take the dog - I am really sorry that you had to go through that. RIP Annie

off Topic - your doggies remind me of bigger Joeys

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Oh I love English Cockers... especially the roan ones. I almost got one myself but couldn't find a good enough breeder in my area. They are very similar looking
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM

This may sound harsh and I'm sorry, but wtf is wrong with Annie's owner? Why on earth would she give up on her like that and why would she not try to give her a chance by giving her to the breeder or to you?
It makes me EXTRA sick when people kill their dogs for no good reason!

Sweet Annie..you deserved better.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

She was probably too cheap and lazy to put her on the plane and didn't want to face the breeder. She took the easy way out.

I can't understand this. It breaks my heart. And I don't understand why somone would agree to it. I found out that my friend's neighbor took their 10 year old dog to be pts because she had a stone (I think) in her bladder. They said she had one last year and the surgery was a thousand dollars. She has it again, taking up 1/3 of her bladder. So they dropped her off to be pts. But they said that if anyone wanted to pay for the surgery they could have her as "she's a great dog".

I guess their vet has a conscience because he called them that night and said she was still alive and two different people were considering adopting her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Mah... I agree. I am beyond mad at her. Poor Annie....

I don't know what kind of vet would do such a thing either. Ugh.

So sorry Annie.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for you and Annie but I can probably bet you are dealing with someone who really did not train or care to train her. Unfortunately Annie paid the price by her lack of caring and ignorance especially since she was given the chance to "dump" the dog on the breeder and you. I am sure she would have been just fine with love and boundaries. Karma it will come back on her
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Mastiff, my thoughts exactly. I wanted to take her myself and keep her for a few weeks to train her and properly exercise her. (She told she never walked the dog or anything). Then I would have sent her back to the breeder unless I found a home. I think that's all she needed was some TLC. Ugh. I'm still heartbroken over it.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
-

So sorry to hear about Annie. She was never given a chance. :sad: What a stupid ignorant moron her owner is and I don't think much of the vet either. Hugs to you for trying to save her.