Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Sneezing Siamese..

My youngest sons landlord has 5 cats,3 of them Siamese.
He called me last night worried about Junior a Choclate Point Siamese,who spends most of his time with my son.
He's about 4 yrs old,neutered(Junior,not my son )
Junior has been sneezing for a couple of months,lately he is dry-heaving too:sad:
The owner shrugs it off as allergies,but my son is concerned.
Could anyone give me some ideas I can forward to his owner of what it could be and the importance of seeing a vet.
I will drive him there myself,since the landlord does not drive,but I'd like him to realize it could be something serious..any ideas??
Also,he is eating drinking,using the box as normal,so the owner think's he'll be ok...but he's not,for sure!!
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I am bumping this question,I really need a few suggestion to the owner to force him to let me take Junior to a vet....I thought maybe Rhinisitis(sp??)or something similar
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM

My cats were sneezing for about a month too and we thought it was just allergies/change of weather. Then they started to get discharge in the eyes and sure enough it was an upper respiratory infection. I'd get the cat to the vet just in case.
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Tell him the cat may have the rhinovirus (describe the extreme state, mouth breathing, stuck-together eyelids) and that if he goes to the vet today, he MAY prevent the others from getting it. If not, they all will, eventually (not exactly true but whatever). Antibiotics X 5 + vet exam (if his vet's a stickler) = a healthy bill. Plus all that pilling.
If they haven't been vaccinated for several years, maybe they should be now, if only to cut down on transmissible diseases.
What would worry me is the possibility that the cough and the heaves are connected in some way, in which case it may be more serious than rhino.
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's to you both!
I just talked to my son a while ago,he put Junior up to the phone and his breathing is not good,I could clearly hear it over the phone:sad:
Apparently his sneezing has gone on for months..
Junior is a tiny 7lb Siamese,the others show no symptoms,one being a 19yr old Siamese female.
I am going to talk to the owner tonight,I know him well and give him all the scary scenarios,I am sure he does not want to lose Junior.
While I am on a roll I'll also talk about his 20yrold female tabby,who is soo fat,her little legs cannot support her..
I know none of his cats have had any shots or check-ups for several years,they are strictly indoor cats.
It's really frustrating to deal with people who do not take proper care of their animals and I know several
Ps.he wanted me to drive him to "his"vet(whom he has not seen for at least 4 yrs) almost an hour away,but I'll suggest he hops into a Taxi and goes to the nearest vet,hopefully Junior only needs antibiotics

Last edited by chico2; December 18th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.