Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM

Question Help? Dog - Rapid Weight GAIN! (Very short time length)

Hi,

New here... Anyway I have a 2 & 1/2 yr old Min Pin/Choc Lab named Oakley. He has always been a very healthy dog, very slim and muscular. Up to date on his shots.

Last Sunday after discussing it for a couple weeks we got a new dog a Coonhound we called Copper. (Also up to date on his shots.) Oakley seemed a little upset by his arrival at first as Copper was a little rude and tried mounting him a few times. I discouraged this and they became friends quickly, playing and such....

Copper's 2nd day here he kinda coughed up a whitish foam after drinking quickly. I assumed in was stress as Oakley did the same thing the 1st few days we had him, but now it's been over a year and has never done it since.)

Later that day Oakley did the same thing as Copper had a drink then went outside for a run, came in and coughed up a a small amount of white foam. Thought it maybe more then a coincidence but neither has done it since.

Since then (6 days) my poor Oakley looks as if he has gained 10 lbs. He is still acting like himself, no weird behaviour other then the odd fit of jealousy that I had antisipated before getting a new dog. My slim dog now looks wide in the back end and actually seems to have a fat roll.

(Bad I know, but I don't know his exact weight before the rapid gain.) I would have to guess he has gained about 6-8 pounds in 6 days. What could be causing this? Stress of the new dog? He hasn't been eating any differently: more or less... I am stumped. Should I be freaking out or getting off my butt and walking him more often?

Kinda nervous, any tips, ideas, guess, would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have attached a pic of Oakley so you can see how this weight gain is so noticable to his appearance. He isn't a big dog, his head is about knee height. Everyone has noticed, friends, family, neighbors....
Attached Images

Last edited by xAngie609x; December 3rd, 2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: my pic didn't show up
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:29 AM

What did your vet say about it?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM

?

Vet hasn't said anything as I haven't contacted her yet. I will do so by phone on Monday. And bring him in if she wants to see him...

Was hoping to get an educated response from a vet or something here.

My husband keeps saying he thinks it's stress, I absolutely disagree. If it was stress wouldn't he have lost weight?

I don't know... Just wondering if there are any contagious viruses or diseases or anything that the new dog may have brought with his arrival that would cause this weight gain... That anyone may have some knowledge, prior experience with or infomation on....
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:39 AM

Honestly, he looks pretty good in the pic...

The white foam might have been kennel cough..

Is he eating more? Maybe the pressure of a second dog around is making him eat more than he's used to.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:42 AM
Live well, laugh often

Was the picture then or now? Is it possible that he is eating the other dogs food when you aren't looking?

We aren't vets here. Just concerned people who love to talk about our pets and exchange info. You should contact your vet ASAP as he could have kidney issues that is causing fluid retention or something that is causing excessive bloating.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:43 AM

The pic was before his weight gain...

Batteries are dead and for the life of me cannot find the charger...

Nope, hasn't been eating more. Other then the extra few treats I have given him for being such a good boy with the new dog...

Angie
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:48 AM

Never really gave it any thought but my husband and I have both been diagnosed with strep throat this week. I don't think that could effect the dogs, but maybe... Could it you think?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:58 AM

Also, I most definately plan on calling the vet soon. I did once and got the machine and left a message. I figured it was because of it being the week-end... (Very small town.) The office will definately be open Monday.

Been keeping a close eye on him. He hasn't changed what so ever. Doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. Eating and drinking as normal.

The only difference I have saw is the small amount of jealousy at times. It passes quickly. But the new dog is only 6 months old, huge and a little rough with him. I have beeen being quite strict with Copper though and will not allow him to jump all over Oakley as he is 3 times the size of him.

Oakley has gotten a little snarly with the new guy and snapped at him which is completely out of character as Oakley is a very very timid dog. He will shake and hide if you point a feather at him. I'm kind of wondering if I made a mistake getting a second dog... At this point, it's Oakly's house and he has got to come first I love him so much. We have all became very attached to the new dog and loving him more everyday. Oakley seems to be too.

Not sure what do to. Guess I'll just wait and see what my vet says when I get a hold of her.

Angie
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Live well, laugh often

Yes, I would contact the vet ASAP. Rapid weight gain or loss can be an indicator of many health issues. Good luck. I doubt that the other dog has anything to do with the situation.

PS - Make sure you treat Oakley like the alpha dog. This means feeding him first, greeting him first, letting him go through the door before the other dog etc. (you could probably check for other threads on this). If you try to treat them "equally" this can cause Oakley to establish his dominance by going after the pup. Snapping is not necessarily bad as long as it doesn't turn nasty. The pup needs to learn that Oakley is the boss. Make sure that everyone still gives Oakley tons of attention so he doesn't feel left out.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:13 AM

Thank you!

I have been trying to treat Oakley the same as before and #1 out of the 2 of them. The kids haven't been doing as good at this as my husband and I have. He is mostly my dog as he was a b-day gift for me. He goes everywhere I do but loves attention equally.

All your tips will be tried and are very appreciated.

Than you again,

Angie

Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM

Not sure about the reason for weight gain but just to let you know that I also had an issue with having two dogs....my first dog (4 yrs old) was introduced to my second dog (now 7 months old) this past June. There was quite a bit of jealousy and snarling and snapping, but that has now slowed down (not stopped yet!). Harley is showing that he is the alpha male and Buster (the puppy) is learning quickly. I do make a point of making sure Harley gets his treats first....goes out first to potty....comes on the bed first....sits on my lap first.... and now Buster will wait his turn. It takes time and patience....lots and lots of patience.

I also questioned whether I did right in introducing a new puppy into the house, but I have no regrets now!

good luck and hope the Vet gives you good news about the weight gain.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Any updates?
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hopefully by now he's seen a vet, but in the event you haven't been able to get in, please make sure your vet does a full blood work panel with thyroid specific testing. Rapid weight gain that is relatively unrelated to treats/excess feeding is usually a sign that something in the body is not working as it's meant to. Please let us know how he fares and good luck

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Often takes a months for dogs to settle in and get comfortable with one another, And like HarleysMom you need to acknowledge which dog is your alpha
it is not always good to treat the dogs equally when a new addition is added, dog have a strong sense of pack order and they do not view themselves as equals and if ones is more dominant and that is not recognized by you and you continue to treat them as equals , you risk having him fight with the other dog in his effort to show you he deserves to be acknowledge as the higher ranking dog, it does not take much from you to shaow him you acknowledge he is the more dominant one, simply give him the petting/treats first, don't make him move off a preferred bed or correct him for taking a preferred toy, as a higher ranking dog, he view that as his right.

If you are noticing that big a change in his weight in a few days something is definitely going on, if the increased size is occuring within his abdominal cavity x-rays should be taken, I have one dog whose weight also changed dramatically an x-ray revealed a very enlarged spleen, luckily his was not diseased but if it something like this, even if diseased(eg cancer) and caught early with out having spread to other area , the spleen can be removed and a dog can life without one. So definitely worth checking out asap
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Smile

Sorry forgot to update...

Seen the vet and she says he's fine and not over weight.... Ugggh.

But, I know my dog. And he did get dramtically bigger in a few short days, I was not the only one to notice this.

He's acting completely normal, the bloating has went down a bit he doesn't look so huge anymore, but still bigger then normal.

He's still adjusting to Copper and I have been watching him like a hawk...

Seems to be doing great...

If I notice anything out of the ordinary I will bring him back to vet and scream till something is done or I get thrown out... lol

Thanx to all concerned.

Angie
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Question

Was thinking.... I have never had a reason to de-worm Oakley since his last vet visit.... (Before this one I mean.) He is 100% house dog with no furry little friends... Until now, since getting Copper.

Could Copper have gave him worms explaining his weird fatty appearance?

Maybe I'm nuts and it isn't possible, just never thought of it till now... Looks like I am gonna de-worm anyway, just incase...

Angie
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Worms usually only cause a fat belly, not overall fatty appearance to the whole body. Vets will usually test for worms if you want them to though.