Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:34 PM

Unhappy aggressive pooper!!

I have begun to notice some strange behaviour from my five month old puppy whenever she has to go poop. She is pretty much housetrained but whenever she has to poop she becomes very aggressive and hyper. She will be acting completely normal and then all of a sudden she starts growling, barking, baring her teeth and even biting. Hard!!

It's clear that this is the signal she is using to let me know when
she has to go outside but she only does it when she has to poop. Whenever she has to pee, she quietly comes and signals her need to go out and there is no problem at all there.

Can anyone explain this or offer some suggestion as to what I should do to stop her? I don't want to encourage her to keep signaling me this way but she doesn't stop until she goes outside, she just gets more out of control.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy cow! Did this behavior just start suddenly? Did she always do it? If not, what did she do before to signal she needs out?

I'm wondering if she is in some kind of pain when she needs to go...

I suggest a vet visit and check up ASAP.That's always the best place to start with changes in behavior, since it could have a physical source.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:25 AM
banned user

Goldy my oldest does what we call the "Happy poop" Dance. when she goes she stretches out and then kicks her back feet out and does this hop and skip. First time Lizzy seen this she thought it was insane. You could just see the look on her face lol! So one days she tries it and flops over all disgusted.
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd suspect that she's in pain.
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I don't really think she is in any pain although if that is really the consensus then I can call make an appointment with my vet? But she has no trouble pooping, it's regular, normal consistency and she does not display any sign of discomfort while or after pooping.

And when I think back, I realize that she has always done this but for a long time I just thought she was just acting up to get my attention and so I misunderstood her behaviour.

I think the problem before was that she was signalling but I wasn't understanding it and my inability to read her signal would cause her to growl at me or nip at my pants out of her frustration in the housetraining process.

When she does need to poop she just becomes really hyper in more of a playful way but that is also aggressive. Kind of spazes out and bounces all over the place. Once she has pooped, she goes right back to sleep or chewing on her bone.

My problem is how to stop her from signalling me this way because I don't want to discipline her (which I was wrongly doing before) but on the other hand, I don't want her to think this is an appropriate way to indicate her need to go outside.

Sorry for the length....
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I wouldn't dismiss pain

When she does this take your hand and lightly make pressure on her tummy in different spots to see if anything is tender.

Take a look at her anus and see if there is any inflamation. Check for any fur that may be covering the hole.

What is the consistency of the stool? Is it very hard or is it very soft? Diarrhea or no?

If you think it's just a 'sign' for you to take her out...
Then you should know her routines by now right.
Get her 'out' before she signals you!