Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

First signs of spring.

5lbs of dog hair daily piling upunder the furniture.

8,512 dog toys revealed after the recent warm weather snow melt (we haven't seen most of these since October.)

About 70lbs of previously frozen, unpicked-up dog poop is now turning into slushy little bombs from one end of the yard to the other.

Daphne dug her first hole of the year, and put a tennis ball & a peice of styrofoam in it.

Instead of tracking in little clean bits of ice & snow, the dogs are tracking miles of muddy pawprints through the house.

The cat is bitching LOUDLY to go outside and kill small things.
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

HA HA HA!!!

I know exactly what you mean...puddly poopie piles

I see so much of it on my walks with Sadie, lots of people weren't stooping during the winter walks around here...makes a tricky hop skip jump on the sidewalks.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

As you know Carina, my house is pretty darn warm in the winter, so the girls aren't shedding too bad yet.

As for the poop - will it never end? We cleaned a lot up on Friday, but it isn't like you could tell. The more snow melts, the more poop we find! And it rained most of the day today, so it isn't even mushy now, it is brown puddles that don't move!
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,the wonders of being a dog-owner,doggie-poop,doggie-poop and more doggie-poop
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:55 AM
banned user

I try to clean poop every day... ;p

Another sign: They start to lay on their backs spread eagle lol!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,did you read about Algonquin park,how they might lift the ban on trapping and hunting wolves? It's sickening how it might even be considered
Many people are protesting though,hopefully they will keep the ban,it makes no sense killing these beautiful creatures...
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm lucky I get my dog to go in one place in the yard, and I'm also lucky because that place is in the sun!!!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
banned user

No it does Chico!

This is what happenes when the gov't is uneducated. They don't understand that populations go up and down each year. If the do the culling now they could wipe out all the wolves and then have a habitat that has no balance and lots of sickness.

R.D. Lawrence did a lot of education seminars on wolves and how preditor prey ratio's affect one another. I know there is a women in B.C. that does a lot of fighting for the wolves. Her name escapes me right now.

You know its so sad to be killed just cause. No real reason but just cause. Makes me angry that people are that uneducated.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Our government is mostly comcerned about $$$$....
The biggest argument against killing of the wolves is the overpopulation of deer that will follow,deer will destroy more than any wolf.
Now,I don't believe in killing for pleasure(or"sport"as it's called)but I can see the neccessity of keeping the deer population in check..
The sad part is,in many places they are fighting hard to reintroduce this wonderful animal who have disappeared and we are going to kill them,makes no sense at all...
Quote:
The cruellest animal is the human animal
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Chocolate

LMAO @ amaruq' spread eagle comment... tho I haven't really seen mine do this yet...

Carina, not only is mud being walked into the house but it's also the left-overs from the poop bombs!

esh, I picked up a LARGE bag size of decaying poop from the yard yesterday... I was honestly SHOCKED... the horror, the horror

Old March 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Ohhhhhh the doggy-poop - just what we all waited for all winter - right?

Two Jack Russells tearing around through all the mud and small lakes, stopping only to dig in the holes they started last year.

Two Jack Russell's fighting enuf to draw blood. Then spending the next two days looking sheepishily at my husband and myself and each other.

Four cats watching the birds - all lined up at the living room window. I am now back on *opening the door for them* patrol

Roll on the warm weather when everyone can be outside
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well here's another sign of spring...Daphne the Destructo-Rott got into it with a skunk last night and got majorly sprayed! One of her eyes is irritated (she took a full face hit) and she has a big scratch on her snout. I hope the skunk got away....

She's been bathed in peroxide & dish soap, rinsed with vinegar, and finished off with oatmeal shampoo. Then I went out and got neutraliser & drenched her with that. Now she smells sort of like a salad that collided with a skunk.

On the up-side, she is now very very very very shiny.
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's a stinky situation (ha ha ha) been there myself...Rusty and I got sprayed 2x while walking in the evening hours together a couple yrs ago. I know how bad it is!!

Destructo is gonna stink everytime she gets wet for atleast a month LOL and it's rainy season coming ***** you're in luck lol!!

Oatmeal was a great idea, it's cooling for the skin (smartie mommie)

How's she doing now? Is the eye bothering her? Rusty got it in the face too, white dog yellow oil spray ICK!!

Every couple of hours I rinsed his little eye as it would ooze at the corners for a couple of days.

Hey atleast she didn't catch the thing and bring it INDOORS! LOL
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Tomato Juice - always keep it handy in LARGE tins. It's what gets rid of the skunk smell. I hate to admit this - but I love the smell of Skunk - reminds me of Bridgewater in Somerset in the UK where they have a cellophane factory
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

annie...isn't that funny, I don't mind the smell of skunk either as long as it's VERY faint! Maybe it reminds me of my dissolute youth...ya know they call certain strains of pot "skunkweed."

I tried the tomato juice thing once but it didn't seem to work significantly. The Skunk-Off really seems to have worked, though - it's an enzyme type cleaner so you leave it on. I've sniffed her all over & can only smell it faintly around her face.

Lube - her eye is fine now, not even red. And the scratch shows no sign of irritation. And let me tell you she is one blindingly shiny dog right now! I actually took my clothes off, brought her into the shower and we both got real clean.
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Did you both use *skunk-off*??? I used to have to bath a dog I had in my youth, this way - it was the only way to get him into a bath (showers weren't invented until the '80' in the UK) and that was to have a bath yourself and invite him in!! The JR I have now quiver and shake if I go anywhere the laundry room sink now - but are quite good - but then they haven't ever been *skunked* - I think the yungest of my two would be sitting by the sink if she had ever been *done over* by a skunk ( if she rolls on a dead mouse she wants a bath and quivers by the sink). I am so glad your's hasn't been infected in her eye - since I gather this can easily happen and could have been very nasty

Annie
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Chocolate

whow... actually BATHING a dog... esh!

I've showered w mine during the REALLY muddy seasons... I don't know where to begin washing.... so we go thru a car-wash-like shower

Carina, as for that "skunkweed" pot... omg, I KNOW that smell, soooooooo nasty, another one reminds me of sewers!

Old March 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I've always used good ole tomato juice CANS of it then a box of baking soda and a good bath.

Smell lingers but thats okay. Rusty got it so bad once he had to get shaved, it was impossible for even the groomer to help him out lol

Sadie better not get it, I do not look fwd to collie vs skunk OMG!! My former collie, Laddie when I was younger got it (2) x and that was HELL on FUR! HAHA
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:48 PM

I don't have much experience with the poopy piles, but I have a 'kid' who's already working on her summer tan!
Attached Images

Old March 8th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Chocolate

isn't it a bit early??!
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Well, you wouldn't catch me outside in a bathing suit right now, but I guess she's tired of being white, lol.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally posted by Carina
Well here's another sign of spring...Daphne the Destructo-Rott got into it with a skunk last night and got majorly sprayed! One of her eyes is irritated (she took a full face hit) and she has a big scratch on her snout. I hope the skunk got away....

She's been bathed in peroxide & dish soap, rinsed with vinegar, and finished off with oatmeal shampoo. Then I went out and got neutraliser & drenched her with that. Now she smells sort of like a salad that collided with a skunk.

On the up-side, she is now very very very very shiny.

Same de skunking recipe all the Vet's use here in Florida. We do have a spring skunk splurge here too.
Yuk!
There is a rabies problem in my county, mostly forrest, but skunks are the least offender. Raccoons on the other hand...evil!
Re vaccinate any time there is an encounter...safe insurance.
Florida is a yearly vax for this reason although every Vet uses a 3 year vax.
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Great pic numberoneaggie! soooo sweet!