Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM
banned user

I so need to vent

I'm feeling rather defeated right now.

I have done a lot with Lizzy and for a few exceptions she has done rather well.

Problem is crossing a busy street. She is getting worse instead of better. To the point that i wonder when she will really bite me. Break skin and the whole bit.

I talked to the trainers....did everything they said. Read everything I possibly could. We got her in July.....we know that she was found up that street in industrial area. I know she is frightened of the road and cars and trucks. I am 90% sure she was hit by a car. I can't let her off the lead in the city. I bought a 16ft lead. Helped. But this is not getting better. Talking her through it doesn't help.....any sort of negative reaction from me makes things worse. Everything has not worked. Sitting on the side of the road for hours giving treats when the cars pass hasn't worked. I'm at a loss.......it breaks my heart. When we go hiking she is great no cars no problem then the odd jumping up. But she will listen to commands even Down! In the hoise same thing. Even away from the road she is greawt. But I have to cross that road to get anywhere.

Is there a point where you just accept that nothing is gonna work? I accept that one day she will bite me and good? I will not get rid of her but hate like heck to see her sit in the house all the time!
Old March 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Try getting a gentle leader to walk her with to get her used to the traffic. Walk her first during non busy times and then slowly build her up but don't overload her with too much at once.

The gentle leader will give you more control of her head and she will be unable to pull you like she currently does. It will also help if you take treats on walks with you, praise her tremendously when she does well and comfort her when she's afraid...but gradually introduce her to things.

Poor thing must have been traumatized.

Sadie is afraid of loud noises and of traffic too but mostly of other dogs, they terrify her. She's even afraid of squirrels and cats.

IT all takes time. Don't give up but invest in the Gentle leader, you'll be glad that you did. Just don't 'force' her and drag her as it could traumatize her more. She needs to learn to trust that you will not let anything harm her.
Old March 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
banned user

Gentle leader I have and used but with Lizzy face it cuts her on the one eye. No adjustment works. I also have the Lupi. Nope that doesn't work. Litterally I have tried so many things. Thats why I'm losing hope.
I'm gonna talk to the vetsand see if they have a solution? They go April 15 for heartworm and junk. Too bad you can't knock her out for that few seconds it takes. You know I was thinking a weird thing. You know they have blinders for the horses?I wonder if that would help focus her across the street? I even thought of putting cotton balls in her ears?

(((Luba)))
Old March 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

If you comfort her when she is scared, then you are postively reinforcing that fear. I am NOT saying that you should take her to a busy street and bully her across it!

The other thing you might want to remember is that she can read you like a book. If you get tense expecting a reaction from her, she knows you are nervous and that will make her nervous too.

The best way to do this would be the sitting by the road thing, but not too close. As close as you can get before she starts stressing.

If she has been hit, you may never get there. This may be a limitation she always has.
Old March 1st, 2004, 05:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You can pad the gentle leader you know!

I actually did this for Honey (wAggies pointer) I crocheted yard directly onto the leader to pad it.

If you can't do that find some soft fabric like flannel or cotton and pad it that way, it works wonders. AND if you don't have the leader snug enough it cuts because it moves around.

You can def try the cotton balls in the ears thing that may help as well.
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:57 PM
banned user

Thanks for the help!!!!!!! I went and took off the chain leash cause someone told me she wouldn't bite that. Well uhh then she bites me. So back to nylon leash again. I have some polar fleece I could use for padding. But it would look very Ukrainan (I can say that cause I am he he).

I was talking to her this morning. Like she understands but telling her to trust me. Me and hubby been trying to think of a different route to take to avoid all the hassle. We might have come up with one. But have to wait till more snow melts. So send some hot air my way lol!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have black fleece? It wouldn't shoow as much Don't try to block her from seeing the cars. If you block her vision, she might feel threatened and has to get away even if it means biting. Let her walk wherever she wants to go. Walking in front is fine, heeling or even walking behind (don't drag her) might help. Take things at her speed. Explain what your going to do to her(I'm convinced that explaining does help) and give her a treat when she does this. Walk her down the sidwalk lots, so she gets used to seeing cars. The cars coming at her may make her neorvous, so make sure all the cars are stopped before you walk her accross a street. What toys motivate her? Is she food motivated? Comfort and encorage her if she's frightened. Go at times when traffic is not buisy. Have her favourite person with a treat on one side of the street, and try walking her accross while the other person calls her.

I hope this helps.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually saw something similar yesterday while sitting(in my car)at a stop-light,a young girls was walking a boxer(the dog kind)and the boxer literally crawled across the street with his tail between his legs poor guy!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, think of it this way: If you were being walked on a leash across a buisy street with no idea if the cars were going to stop, and you had been hit by one before, how would you feel?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Chocolate

hmm... I don't think I caught hold of what Lizzy actually did @ the street corner...

stop abrupting and pull AWAY or RUSH to get to the other side?

how about this... have someone else walk her... maybe it's time she gets destressed from the same walking partner (no offense, PLEASE!)

let the person bring plenty of treats along and make little eye contact to intimidate her... I think it's worth a try. also make sure you fully let the person know what happens at street corners... and start of in SMALL isolated street corners away from the busy roads and work your way up when you MUST.

if she doesn't like crossing busy street corners, stay away from them.

you can only socialize her so much with her environment. no need to push it

I, myself, prefer walking the dogs in the little streets but every now and again, I feel the urge to walk @ the main roads, it's a change. I don't make a note of it to the dogs; I just keep walking.

avoidance - it's when the dogs see a cat. I don't point it out to them. if I did, they'd get anxious and interested to find out more about the cat that's over THERE so they'd abruptly change their path. and that's certainly NOT what mommy wants. so I avoid and ignore that minor obstacle. and so do they.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM
banned user

She has been much better on the nylon lead..no bite marks no me. What she does is grab whatever and try to back up. I know she is frightened terribly. But to get anywhere I have to cross this one stupid road. I walk the rail way tracks all the way and get to the park.

I feel so sorry for her....

Hubby works out of town so thats a no go...my daughter. Well i was told that the outdoors wan't her cup of tea. So its just me to walk them. I love to be outside with them. In the summer we spend hours playing....ok ok I know I'm cough cough not a spring chicken but yes I like to roll and chase and basically play with the dogs.

I can live with what she is doing now..I just hope she can?
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Chocolate

of course she can... at least for now

maybe try walking along the street & not around parked cars only once a week instead..
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,rolling in the grass is what keeps you a spring-chicken still,wonderful therapy
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
banned user

I love to play in the grass and mud too lol! Motzi loves a good rain storm and hits every puddle...we come home soaked and happy.

Well a bit of good news today. We went on our walk and lizzy found a larger stick. She normally doesn't like to carry anything in her mouth cause I think it hurts her? But she wanted this stick. We get to the road and she has a problem. You can see her thinking 'ok do I let the stick go and freak out or take my stick across the street' She took the stick and didn't freak out YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! So I'm thinking about making a stick rope. You all remember macremae? So i gonna put the stick in the middle and knot around it. Not all the time but her and there? I hope this works?
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey thats wonderful news!! Great going
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Chocolate

OMG!!

that's WONDERFUL!!! so it's like her security blanket...
excellent!