Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Ggggrrr....Bil-Jac sales rep at Petco

So, after taking Goldie (my oldest golden) to the hopsital to drop off some paperwork today, as she is now a certified therapy dog, I stopped at Petco on my way home to pick up some doggie toothpaste. When I walked in the door, there was this old gentleman selling and promoting Bil-Jac dog food. Of course, I took Goldie inside with me, and he also had a golden there with him, who was wearing a Bil-Jac scarf. I thought to myself, "oh boy Stella, just walk on by." I hate going to that place to begin with because I get so upset with the the stuff they sell there, but that is the only store that sells the particular kind of toothpaste that my girls use.

Anyway, he desperately tried convincing me of how great Bil-Jac dog food is. I tried telling him several times that I was not interested, as my girls are on a high quality dog food, but he insisted upon going on and on. He then made some very bold (and obviously fallacious) comments, such as "Bil-Jac dog food has more meat in it than any other dog food" and "Bil-Jac dog food is the highest quality dog food you can buy, and it is also the one that all the people in Hollywood feed the show dogs." I then picked up one of the containers and started looking at the ingredients He tried convincing me about the 'health benefits' of by-product meat, dried beet bulp, corn, egg product, etc. I looked at him like he had corn growing out of his ears, I simply could not believe what I was hearing!!! Someone promoting by-product meat and all this other stuff......WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY? That food doesn't even have any real meat in it, yet he claimed that it has more meat than any other!

By that point, I felt my adrenaline rising to the point where I was almost sweating because I was so upset. He said that people can't rely upon what they read on the internet and he has researched every single dog food out there, convinced that Bil-Jac is the best, yet he has never heard of any of the holistic foods like Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, Innova, and others alike I suspect that his comparisons have been against other crappy foods that are sold at Petco, Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc. and not against the really good foods. I finally broke the arguement (which I didn't even want to happen to begin with) by simply saying, "Sir, I am not interested in this food because it is not a quality product," and walked away. It was evident that he was clueless and wouldn't listen to me even if I had AAFCO's definition of all those crappy ingredients right there to show him

Gee, I have never known a dog food rep to argue like that; especially when they don't know anything about the true nature of the ingredients! I feel bad for all the people's dogs whose owners he convinced today, as many people don't know how to read dog food labels, so they wouldn't know that what he was telling them about this food is really fallacious.

Last edited by Goldens4Ever; November 17th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM

lol you were so polite! A lot of dog food reps are like that, unfortunately.
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin is correct they are after all trying to promote the product, Science Diet reps are no different at the time Callie had bladder stones the vet went to give me the Hill's science diet dissolution diet first I took one look at the ingredients and told him I can't feed Callie this. I went with Waltham's (now Royal Canin) instead as it was much better but by no means great. A few days later had went into Petsmart and a Hills rep was there trying to sell me on science diet
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Honest Contributor

he he, it's called "commissions"

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Last night & this morning, the more I thought about how dogmatic this old man was about this food, the more upset I became; he was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that Bil-Jac is the best food and has more meat than any other. I might be more understanding if the rep was selling a really good food while making those claims, but Bil-Jac....come on! So, this morning I e-mailed Bil-Jac's customer service address with my concerns about the nature of this rep's comments and provided some evidence indicating that what he is saying about this food is false.

Debating the quality of this particular food and those alike is not a matter of opinion, as the proof is right there in AAFCO's definition of certain ingredients, as well as other information that discusses the side effects of certain ingredients. I may not hear back from them, but hopefully they will instruct their reps to be more tactful and make more educated comments about the foods(s) they are selling; they're supposed to be the expert on the foods they sell, right? I realize these reps want to earn high commissions, but if they expect to do that, then they had better get their facts straight about dog food ingredients, particularly, the ones in the product(s) that they're selling!
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM

They're evil, stupid, and misinformed

Don't argue. As my mom told me when I was a little kid, "Don't talk to the bad people."

You can't change is mind (if indeed he has one!)
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM

LOL, you are absolutely right! Further, it is even more difficult to change the minds of elderly people because they are more set in their ways, as was the case with this older man. If I can't convince my grandma that the meal she is eating is her own recipe (that she forgot about), then I don't know how I'd convince this man that this dog food is terrible
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Honest Contributor

now... i just smile politely, say "no thanks" and move along... i know i know better and that you can only teach those who wish to be edumacated, so i don't waste my energy anymore on lost causes

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Owned by goldens

Grrr....

Last spring I received a flyer in the mail from some dog food company that was just starting up in Quebec. They had a selection of different foods and they delivered it right to your home as it was not sold in stores. I was curious so when the rep showed up at my door a few days later I invited him in. I never do this to salesman but I was curious. The ingredients were very poor and when I informed the rep that I was not interested because I didn't like the ingredients he asked me for specifics. I explained some of my concerns and he thanked me for educating him. He really didn't have a clue and probably was selling cars the week before.
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Copperbelle,

Yes, it would have been nice it I had the opportunity to actually discuss the ingredients with this guy; however, he was so forceful with his statements about Bil-Jac that he turned me off right away, and he dismissed everything I tried to tell him. Some people want to learn and some don't. I started learning about dog food a little over a year ago, and since then, read as much as possible so that I can learn more about every aspect of canine health, not assuming that I am right in what I am already doing.

But, the way this guy came across, it was evident he was not willing to listen, and he just wouldn't leave me alone; he kept badgering me! Again, some of it may be just due to his stubborn personality, and some of it may be due to his age IMO. PLUS, the environment was not conducive to having a good discussion, as it was in a noisy Petco store, he was hard of hearding, and he approached me completely wrong. That is really cool that you experienced a different situation, as you were able to educate that salesman