Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 12th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Coughing cats - white spots on lungs

2 of my cats (totally indoor) gradually developed a cough - it got to the point where they would start wretching and throwing up. Otherwise they felt fine - eating normally, didn't seem to be sick. I took them to the vet and x-rays were done - both had white areas on their lungs, one cat was worse than the other. The vet did a tracheal wash on one cat and all it showed was scant amounts of e.coli. They have both been on antibiotics for over a month - started off with Baytril and are now on Antirobe. They have both improved but both are still occasionally coughing.

Neither cat goes outside so I assume I brought something home on my shoes or clothes.

Any suggestions on how to treat this?
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Senior Contributor

E coli can come from pet foods that contain rendered animals

so what kibble do you feed?

does it contain the terms Animal fat. animal by-products, animal by product meat?

Another cause it can be found in stool, are their litter boxes cleaned out regularily, so as not to allow it to collect so they are stepping in it and then licking to clean themselves and ingesting.

Do you feed them raw meats?
Have they gotten into the garbage to steal food?

Do you have well water that you and family don't drink but give to the cats, if so may want to have the water tested
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Coughing cats

Thanks for the reply. None of the things mentioned seemed to apply. My cats eat Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - I checked the ingredients - there is chicken meal and chicken fat in it but none of the other things mentioned. Stools get cleaned out of the litter boxes almost immediately after the cats go if I am home - if I am not home, as soon as I get home, I remove all stools. Water is city water. They don't get raw meat and no one has gotten into the garbage. So I don't know what is causing the problem. Except for the cough, they feel fine.
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you asked the vet what the white spots could mean???

I know in my dogs case when he goes for periodic xrays for his spleen, white spots are one of the things we are hoping not to see on the film in his case we are checking for cancer since his spleen is very enlarged.

In the lungs possibly a white spot could mean several things

I would also be asking the vet about how long the cats should be continuing to cough after treatment, when I have been put on antibiotics for bronchitis I will feel better within days but the cough may persist for a couple of months afterward, maybe the same for cats.
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Coughing Cats

I definitely asked about the white spots on the lungs, which the vet called "lesions" - right after the vet pointed them out to me - the vet said they could mean a number of things, including a tumour. At that point he had not x-rayed my other cat who was also coughing. He x-rayed him and he had the same thing but not as bad - so it appears both cats have the same infection - I was glad they both had the same lesions showing up on the x-rays. I am assuming it is like the spots that show up on lungs when a person has pneumonia.

As you mentioned, I have wondered if the infectioin had cleared up but it is normal for the coughing to remain for some time. I know someone (a human) who had that happen - the cough was terrible but apparently she was not sick anymore.

Both cats act like they feel great - actually, neither acted sick even when they were coughing more.

They have been on 2 different antibiotics - I believe both get rid of e.coli - Baytril and Antirobe.

My vet has suggested doing a tracheal wash on the cat he did not do one on before and re-x-raying her which I suspect I will be doing.

Maybe even the white spots on the lungs show up for some time after the infection has gone along with the cough remaining.

I had not heard one cat cough for 2 weeks (however, I got to work and he could have been coughing when I am not there). I didn't give him his morning dose of the antibiotic and that evening he coughed. So both are still on the antibiotics.