Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Zoo operator

kitty to vet 3rd time

hey Im so upset. My kitty angel has to go back to the vet for a third time to have this damn hurnia fixed. The first tiem she went in to get fixed and they "forgot to do the hernia" the second time they supposedly fixed the hernia, but last night it popped out - bigger than ever .
so...off to the vet to be put to sleep for a third time!! OMG Im so upset!! Cant they get this right!!??????
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

WoW!!! That's an awful lot of messing around isn't it.
How could they forget to do it the first time

Good luck with it all,
If I were you from now on I would see a different vet. It sounds like he or she is giving you the "run around".
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Zoo operator

Thats what you get for going to a discount vet i suppose. I had thought it would be worth it to have both kitties spayed there due to their discount for lots of pets...but they forgot to fix the huge hernia staring them in the face right beside the incision they used to spay her. I took her bck 3 wks later to fix the hernia to only find its bigger now!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
back to my regular in town expensive vet here on in!
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
back to my regular in town expensive vet here on in
I hear ya! I have a cheaper vet near me, and I still use them from time to time for stuff like heartworm meds, shots, and teeth cleaning but for medical emergencies and illnesses I use the regular vet. Their prices are outrageous, but they are very thorough and very honest about treatment options for sick pets. I also like that they have 24 hour on-call service for their patients, I've had to use it several times now and IMO it's worth paying the extra $ for it. I cannot believe that any vet, discount or not, would forget to do what they're supposed to do. Are they going to get it right this time? Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Zoo operator

Thanks so much vfro
Im taking her in now to see what they have to say.
ill post when I return. Im still so upset..poor kitty...has been through so much.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Good luck. This must be so hard on you and your kitty. :sad:
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Zoo operator

Hey im back! Well, I eat some of my words...The vet does not think its the hernia popped through, she thinks it is a reaction to the sutures. They are different from the last surgery , she thinks she has been active (likely - she is a cat) and that It should reduce - watch it and revisit on tues for check to see for sure. She doesnt want to have to reopen it, but because it doesnt move she doesnt htink its intestine...she thinks its a thickening that should reduce. Angel does not appear to be uncomfrtable or anything so, i will watch it. THanks for your support all, lets
that all will be ok
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM

You don't maybe want to go ask your other vet to be sure? Just because the crap vet I worked for would find a way to weasel out of it being her fault with stories like that, or by blaming the client for not listening to her advice close enough... I'd get a second opinion.. It's only going to cost a consult fee.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Zoo operator

Hmmm - You could be right. I did think of that, but Im trying to believe that it was just as she said, no surgery !!
Im going back on tuesday so if she is not improving then I will reconsider who will be seeing her on Tuesday. I hope its all ok, THanks for the advice...I jsut may call her.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM

See, correction surgeries (at the cost of the vet) are expensive... So the bad vet will do anything to avoid them... Ok, I'll stop now.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Queen

No that's good Prin keep talking. It's better people are informed so they don't get taken for. I know not all vets are out to get you but it's good to be careful and not have to learn the hard way.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM

lol ok... All I know is the anaesthetic costs a fortune (most of the cost of the surgery you pay for), so it's not in the best interest of the money grubbing vet to do it again at his/her expense is all. So of course, they'll say wait it out, and in a week, nothing will change, so they'll probably say you haven't been maintaining the wound properly or something and make you pay for them to look at it again (IF this is a bad vet).

And IMO, if she's reacting to the sutures, they should probably have taken them out and put staples or sutures made of a different material. Did she react to the sutures from her spay?
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Zoo operator

interesting, they did make me pay for the anesthetic (only)for her when they didnt fix the hernia during the spay when they were supposed to....and it was supposed to be "free" but then afterwards they said oh well we always charge for anisthetic...hmmmm grrrr
So, If i go to my vet and she sees that it needs to be opened or xrayed to determine for sure, then im in for big bucks with her; when this other vet is really responsible for this big mess arent they? ANd, I think they will go it for free but you are likely right they are trying to avoid it.
Should I maybe call back to the vet and insist they go back in and check it all? is it easier to check now before it all heals or can they even go in under the same insision?
aaaaaagh what to do! But yes, keep talkin I certainly can be nieve.
thanks
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Zoo operator

oh and no, she did not react to the spay the same way at all.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Zoo operator

Oh and when I suggested the use of antiimflamatory meds or anything she didnt go for it. saying it would do little to help.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM

There isn't much you can do when you get screwed by a vet... You can report the vet to the licensing board, maybe through here: http://canadianveterinarians.com/Index.aspx , but at this point, if I were you, I'd just run away screaming with your arms flailing and go to a vet with a better reputation.

When people came to the vet I worked for for repeat surgeries, I'd sneak around to get them alone and tell them to get their animal checked out elsewhere. Sure it was disloyal, but I was there to HELP animals, you know?

Even if they do the surgery free, you've already seen how thorough they are.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Zoo operator

Good for you, cuz pet owners sometimes just put their trust in the vet and figure these things happen, But if the place has a bad rep then Id like to know about it. In fact I called around to many people/places and have nt found anyone with a negative experience...only me.!!
I still think I could make them responsible for what they need to do by insisting they fix her up. But I will call my vet and explain the situation and ask her to take a look for me if it doesnt start to decrease by friday. Then Ill take her back Monday to bad" vet and tell them what my vet found.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Good luck!

And even if the bad surgeries occur one out of every three times (which is a LOT), most of the people don't know each other. I know somebody who still goes to that vet because she's never had a bad experience with her... Meanwhile, animals get butchered weekly that she doesn't know about (and doesn't believe). Some vets are really in it for the money. It's sad.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Zoo operator

very very good point!!
I am taking your experience to heart
Thank you Prin
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
-

Sometimes I'm glad that I live in a small town where word of mouth really gets around.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Even if they do the surgery free, you've already seen how thorough they are.
Good point i'd be nervous they might do some damage/more damage. It's good to let them know if they've scewed up but after that it may be better to just run the other way for your safety. If you decide to get her fixed up somewhere else you could request they refund you for the mess they made. I did that once with some bloodwork that should have taken a day and ended up taking a week, my cat died before it came and they didn't offer the money back, I had to tell them to give it back. Good luck I hope it works out okay.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Zoo operator

THanks Maya
another good idea
thanks all!
spud