Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old October 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Exclamation FOUND male Cat in East Hamilton -see Picture

Found one male cat in east Hamilton near Parkdale and Roxbourough. Cat has been lost for a couple of months. May be fixed and declawed I am unsure. Friendly but skittish. Black and grey on his ears, back and tail with white on his nose, belly and paws. Small black spot on his nose as well. This is not a wild cat he appears to have gotten lost. Please reply if you have any info.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tigger; October 25th, 2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Cannot offer pets for adoption unless approved rescue.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I am seriously worried about having "Scruffs" find a home before winter. I fear I won't be able to find his previous owners. I have called around the hamilton area for places that can take him. I got my own cats from the SPCA years ago, but i know that if they are too full they euthanize. Does anyone know any places in Hamilton (or surrounding areas) that take cats.. and won't euthanize?? I would keep him myself but "Scruffs" and my cat Tav don't get along. Which is Mostly Tav's fault as he seems jealous that I am feeding somecat other than him.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Would you prepared to try some strategies for integrating the two cats?
The stray would have to be neutered first (if he isn't already). Once that is done, there is no reason why they can't adapt, if you introduce them slowly. I've brought plenty of male rescues together - that's all I seem to find - and as often as not it's worked out, sometimes surprisingly well.

He's a cute guy. Have you put up posters, etc?
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I haven't put up posters... It took me awhile to notice that "Scruffs" was a homeless kitty.. He has been around my house since about February of last year. I guess posters might work.. but its been so long that he has been here.
I called the vet today.. and they said that the local shelters that usually foster cats (in Hamilton) are closing due to low funding. My husband does NOT want another cat.. he gets angry if I mention it or even talk about winter housing. Is the SPCA a good idea.. I have heard they dropped their Adpotion fees again. He is a cutie but I am not sure he's totally adoption material having lived outside for so long??
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

If you really really want to help him, have him vaccinated and neutered (some vets will do it on the same day). Rescue groups will usually not accept an intact animal except in an emergency.

Here's a list, maybe someone in Hamilton or close by will be able to help you.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=4

I have a phobia about the SPCA in Montreal, they are always swamped and their kill rate is quite high. Maybe the one in Hamilton has a better record, but shelters get pretty crowded in the winter, raising the stress levels, so all the cats get colds and euthanasia is sometimes the only solution (well, there are others, but I won't digress here).

Please try to find an alternative.

Believe me, people look for their lost cats for months and years. He obviously has had good experiences with humans or he wouldn't be hanging around posing for pictures! So jump on the internet and put his picture on all the lost animal sites. Also post a paper version in pet stores, vet offices, laundromats, in your neighbourhood (say a 3-mile radius). You might be surprised!

Good luck. You've obviously got a soft spot for the lil guy.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Found male cat

You might have some luck finding his owners by posting on www.infopet.ca and www.flealess.org. Good luck.