Think about it
This will give you a slightly different perspective on our lives......
If we could reduce the worlds population to a village of precisely 100
people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics
would look something like this:
5 US Americans and Canadians
8 Latin Americans
49 would be female
51 would be male
82 would be non-white
33 would be Christian
67 would be non-Christian
* 5 would control 32% of the entire worlds wealth, and all of them
would be US citizens
* 80 would live in substandard housing
* 24 would not have any electricity
(And of the 76% that do have electricity, most would only use it for light
* 67 would be unable to read
1 (only one) would have a college education.
* 50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation
* 33 would be without access to a safe water supply
* 1 would have HIV
* 1 near death
* 2 would be near birth
* 7 people would have access to the Internet
If to take a look at the world from this condensed perspective,
the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes evident.
Think of it!
If you woke up this morning with more health than sickness, you are luckier than the million that will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced a war, the loneliness of an imprisonment, the agony of tortures or famine - you are happier, than 500 million persons in this world.
If you are able to go to church, mosque or synagogue without fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death, you are happier, than 3 billion persons in this world.
* If there is a meal in your refrigerator,
* If you are dressed and have got shoes,
* If you have a bed and a roof above your head,
you are better off, than 75% of people in this world.
If your parents are still alive and still married, then you are a rarity.
* If you have a bank account,
* money in your purse
* and there is some trifle in your coin box,
you belong to 8% of well-provided people in this world.
If you read this text, you are blessed three times as much, because
1. Someone has thought of you;
2. You do not belong to those 2 billion people who cannot read
3. and... you have a computer!
"Let Thy Food Be Thy Medicine"
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
we take so much for granted....
Marie-Eve and Buster (5 year old-ish rescued Boxer)
Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
I think I don't take stuff for granted, but at the same time, I doubt I appreciate everything enough.
I think after the ice storm, we appreciate electricity a bit more though.