Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

The Departed - 2006

Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg and directed by Martin Scorsese. Great cast - Great director!

This is one good flick and I give it an 8.5/10 straight up.

This film is about going undercover in the Irish Mafia and the State police department in Boston Mass. It is SUPREMELY well done, very gritty, very real, very Scorsese. The acting is amazing with fantastic character development. Jack Nicholson is great as the mob boss but I dare say his is not the best performance in the film. (It's hard to believe I know and don't get me wrong - Jack captivates the screen as always.) The best performance is DiCaprios whose character is played with honesty, sensitivity and incredible intensity. I haven't seen all his movies but I've seen some. This is his best performance by far IMHO.

The writing too in this film is fab and it surely is one of the reasons this film works so well. Mark Wahlberg's character in particular is a treat to watch because of his dialogue.

It's a wee bit of a rough film to watch at times for those who are sensitive to violence....but this is pretty real grit and the story and charcter development are totally worth the few rough scenes. (Even my wife who is extremely sensitive to violence LOVED this film because the violence works within the context of the characters and the film)

If I have 1 flaw it is minor, but...the dialogue coach or dialect coach in this film should have been fired. Not one of the main characters could keep a Boston accent going for more than 5 words. Sure I'm nitpicking here - but it caught my attention, and distracted me a bit.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM

cool. Is it as graphic as Donnie Brasco?
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I heard it was a fantastic movie. We went to watch it the other night but got there too late. Maybe tomorrow night thanks for the heads up
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw this movie the weekend. I really really liked it. I didn't see Donnie Brasco, but it is pretty violent at times, but didn't ruin the movie.

I was left with one question at the end...What was in the envelope that Leo DiCaprio gave the psychiatrist Do we ever find out?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM

this movie is amazing

this movie is amazing, the way that it ended was the coolest thing in movie history. I loved the many twists that this movie had. :king:
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I just saw this recently, I thought it was very well done, a lot of violence, but the story line kept my attention. I liked seeing the scenes that were filmed in Boston, it's cool to see places I've been in a movie. I agree though, some of the accents were just..well I don't know what they were, but they sure as heck weren't Bostonian! That happens in every movie I've seen where someone is supposed to have a Boston accent. I don't think it's that hard of an accent, but then that's the way I speak normally!
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Formerly Misery

I loved this movie, and I agree that the ending was better than I ever could have imagined! Keep movies like this coming!!