Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Lily

Double set of eye teeth (up & down)

Hi there. I have a 9 month old Yorkie-Poo named Lily (female/spaded). We have noticed that all of her puppy teeth have fallen out and her adult teeth grew in, except with her eye teeth (think that's what there called - the big "fang" type teeth on top and bottom). Her puppy ones did not fall out and the adult ones grew in also. On the bottom they are side by side (adult ones on the inside, puppy ones on outside). On the top they are one after another (babies then going back adults).

Has anyone ever heard of this before?? Is it OK to leave them like this or should the babies be pulled out by a vet?? The babies are not loose at all (just as strong as the adult ones) and they don't seem to bother her at all. She can just squeak her toys much better now with 4 extras!!

Last edited by YorkiePoo; October 5th, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The problem with having the extra teeth is that it can as they mature cause jaw realignment etc.. also more tartar build up. Normally a vet would extract them at time of spay as at around 6 months if they are still in then most likely they aren't coming out on their own. Perhaps when she needs her first teeth cleaning they can be extracted at the same time in order to avoid an extra anesthetic?
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Lily

Thanks for the info. They are for sure not coming out on there own - they are as strong as her adult ones. She has already been spayed and the vet didn't mention anything (although I forgot to show the vet at the time). I will show them at her next vet visit and see what they recommend.

Thanks again!
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Abby, too!

Abby has just gotten in her eye teeth, canines, whatever you call them. And her baby's are still in. She is pushing 6 months old, and has already been spayed.

Is this common??? None of my dogs growing up ever had this.
And Abby's aren't loose either. Like a nut, I've been trying to wiggle them when ever possible... ( I think she is getting irritated with me doing that too)

I don't know.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Lily

Does she have them on the top and bottom? I thought up until about a week ago that Lily only had them on the bottom then my boyfriend tells me her top ones are double too. It's really strange eh?? I never saw a dog with them before either? They don't bother her at all and I brush her teeth quite often and make sure no food is stuck between them. I'm just going to have her vet take a look at them when I take her in for her year old shots and see what they think. I think it's kind of cute myself - ha ha.
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

It seems the toy breeds tend to be later getting the adult teeth and losing the puppy teeth, which does not always coincide with the usual neuter time at 6 months, with bigger dogs their puppy teeth are usually gone at 6 months and if any remain a vet would likely pull during the neuter, it may explain why many toy breeds have jaw malformations and dental problems later on. The breeder I got Winnie my chinese crested from agreed on a 7 months neuter so at that time most of the adult teeth should be in and any remaining babyteeth can then be removed, he still had quite a few present at last months vet visit
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM

help

hey i have a jack russel and he is 5 years old close to 6 and he has double teeth im worried about it what can i do thx