Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old February 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats in need of foster homes!!!

These cats are in cages in the isolation room of the vet - a very stressful atmosphere for them, and need foster homes!

"Chatouillle" is a young (1 yr old) girlie who is a sweet snugglepuss and just loves everyone!

"Missy" is another young female who loves petting so much that she throws herself belly-up for tummy tickles! She is a gorgeous long haired Tortie!

"Charlotte" will be a stunning medium haired dilute calico, is about 7 yrs old and narrowly escaped death from freezing and starvation. She deserves a safe haven.
Old February 16th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Lucky....I wish I could,
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Missy has been adopted!!
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Good news! I LOVE longhaired cats,but I never really hade a choice,my guys kind of just landed here..
Hope little Snugglepuss and Charlotte will be gone soon too..
Do you mostly rescue cats?
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes we mostly only do cats. If there is an emergency, and a small dog desperately needs rescue, we will take it, but have no place to put large dogs. (although we have taken some in the past.)

Small cute dogs are usually adopted in a day or two.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd post this in the Rescue (Adopt) a cat thread. Also a picture, if you have one.

Are you unable to keep her yourself? An 8 year old cat is not going to find many takers. Hope I'm wrong. I suggest you advertise in other places (pet supply stores - NOT places where they sell animals - vet offices); include a short description, including the fact that she was dumped when the previous owner found her inconvenient, her personality, etc., and PLEASE charge some kind of adoption fee, there are plenty of shady characters out there who would turn her over to a lab for a few bucks or mistreat her themselves.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Pictures won't load.......

Do you know if these kitties would be okay with a dog in the house? I am looking for a cat, but I do have the 3 1/2 yr old tzu.

Where are the cats located?
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Richmond Hill is near Toronto.

Is your dog good with cats? What kind of cat are you looking for? We have nice cats looking for homes.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Harley's Mom,

If you look at my thread that I posted couple of weeks ago, "Pre-Adoption of kiitens" the kittens were raised with a ****zu as well.
The kittens are with Steri-Animal. Maybe you would be interested in one...

I am sure Lucky has some kittens that would be good with dogs as well.

The SPCA Monteregie has several kittens looking for a home as well.....
www.spcamonteregie.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I am not a "cat person" however my boyfriend is. I would prefer a shorthair "indoor" cat that gets along with dogs. It doesn't have to be a kitten but young enough so that he/she will allow us into their life.

As for my dog, he has never had a feline sibling in the house so I don't know how he would react. For that reason, I guess it would safer (for Harley) if the cat was already declawed (not sure if this board will come down hard on me for suggesting a cat might be declawed.....)

I am also looking to get another tzu! We have moved out to the country and I now have the room to let my pets run around without cars, buses, pollution.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

If the dog is good with the cat, there is no reason for the cat to scratch him therefore no need to declaw the cat!

Proper introduction must be done to ensure the safety of both animals. I know several people who have both dogs and cats living together in harmony and the cat isn't declawed.

Declawing is a cruel and painful unnecessary surgery, if you are thinking of declawing a cat, I would suggest NOT to get a cat. There are plenty of dogs who need a loving home!

Has your dog ever been around cats before?
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

More cats who need fostering?....it seems like this is all I have heard this week. CASCA has to foster out 10-15 cats because they have to leave their shelter....what is happening...I really want and need a bigger house; or one with more doors.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
If the dog is good with the cat, there is no reason for the cat to scratch him therefore no need to declaw the cat!

Proper introduction must be done to ensure the safety of both animals. I know several people who have both dogs and cats living together in harmony and the cat isn't declawed.

Declawing is a cruel and painful unnecessary surgery, if you are thinking of declawing a cat, I would suggest NOT to get a cat. There are plenty of dogs who need a loving home!

Has your dog ever been around cats before?
Well.....that is exactly the response that I figured I would get. I would like to make one comment......

Different people want different things in life.....and after a while it gets hard to deal with people always PUSHING their opinion on you, as if only they are right.

I asked a simple question, I did not ask to be lectured by anyone.

I am sorry if I offended you, but you will now have one less potential family who would have taken a kitty from you.

I am going back to the doggy section of this website.

Last edited by Tigger; May 4th, 2006 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Please curb remarks. Thank you.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Harley's Mom,

If you think I was being rude, you don't know what rude is!
I am stating facts, not lecturing anyone.

I would never adopt out a kitten/cat to anyone, who plans on declawing it. ************************************

Last edited by Tigger; May 4th, 2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Edited due to inappropriate comment.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Wow!

Check your PM
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Harley's Mom, we do get cats in who are already declawed, but it's essential that you first find out how your dog reacts around cats.

Don't think a declawed cat is safer. Harley's not a big dog, so if he's going to try and attack a cat, he could be severely injured, since the cat will have teeth, and cat bites are much worse than dog bites OR cat scratches.

We do not allow any of our cats to be declawed, but we do have a couple cats who are fine with dogs (as long as the dog won't try to attack them of course!) We also will not adopt to someone who doesn't know if their dog is okay with cats.

There is Tommy - he is young, VERY gentle and sweet, good with dogs and cats, and very BIG.

There is also Oreo - a small, young male who is also sweet and calm and very cute.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Thank you for your response!

Actually Harley was introduced to a large outdoor cat when we moved last summer. Unfortunately after the cat and dog had been living under the same roof for approx 2 month, our poor Novy died. He was about 10 yrs old and died from something to do with his stomach? I believe it is a common problem that could have been treated if I had of known more about cats. He wasn't my cat, he belonged to my boyfriend, so I do not know all the history.

Novy was declawed but still managed to smack Harley on the nose a couple of times to put him in his place They did manage to get along, but unfortunately Novy went to the bridge and now Harley is the only pet in the house.

At no time did I say in my previous post that "I" would have the cat declawed. I said I would prefer a cat that is already declawed as I wanted an indoor cat. I would like a younger cat so that Harley and the kitty can learn to live together. Harley is a VERY playful puppy, lots of energy and loves to run, so the kitty would have a real playmate. I know cats and dogs can live in harmony and I would love nothing more than to go home to my two furbabies. Harley never tried to hurt Novy, he justed wanted Novy to play with him......

I think Oreo is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! If possible could I get more information on him.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oreo is just precious - a lap sitter and lovesponge.

Quote:
our poor Novy died. He was about 10 yrs old and died from something to do with his stomach? I believe it is a common problem that could have been treated if I had of known more about cats. He wasn't my cat, he belonged to my boyfriend, so I do not know all the history.
Are you saying that a new cat will be for your boyfriend, and that he didn't get medical care for his own sick cat? Who will take the new cat to the vet, if he needs care? Most rescued cats have already suffered a great deal (Oreo was attacked by a dog), so I'm sure you understand that we insist adopters must be willing to make sure they get vet care when needed.

You can read about Oreo here. If you are still interested, PM me and I'll put you in contact with his foster.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6042820
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM

No! I have had dogs all my life and they have always been up to date on their shots, vet checks etc! This cat will be an indoor family cat, who will be vet checked within 48 hours of having him in our house, for the cat's sake and also for the dog's sake.

As I said, Novy was an outdoor cat and only came into get food and water. As soon as we noticed that Novy was sick (on a Saturday morning!) we rushed him to the Vet, but it was too late to start the medication.

I do have a lot to learn about cats, but am willing to learn. Please keep in mind, that I am totally devoted to my pets - Harley just cost me A LOT of money curing him of his blastomycosis. (ask any Vet how much 4-6 months of care and meds are for blasto...)
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

my comment is removed!!

Last edited by chico2; May 4th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Ok Everyone, please take a deep breath, count to 10 and think before typing. This thread has become rather heated in parts. Thank you for maintaining a more polite approach from this point forward.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I do have a lot to learn about cats, but am willing to learn.
Good! Everyone has to start somewhere, and we are very willing to work with anyone who has never had a cat, but is willing to listen and learn!

I know lots of people who have had little use for cats, until they had one of their own and found out everything they heard - "cats are aloof and independant" - is NOT true!

Cats can be just as loving and devoted as dogs, they are just a different species.

I just found out that another of our cats, the exotic looking and super sweet Houdini, is also fine with dogs! He's about 8 or 9 months old, neutered and ready to go.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6128891
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM

After discussions with my boyfriend, we have decided to adopt a cat from a local shelter (Gatineau).

Unfortunately, I feel very uncomfortable looking to this group for any help, information or guidance in my search for a cat to help complete this family.

I wish you all the luck in the world in finding good homes for orea, houdini and tommy, but please don't jump on the next person who expresses an interest. You may be pushing away the perfect home for one of your cats. :sad:
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad some cat is going to get a home!

I certainly wasn't "jumping" on you. In fact I listed 3 cats who might be a good match, so obviously was not pushing you away. I was just explaining our policies that apply to anyone interested in adopting.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Lucky Rescue, please check your PM. As you will see, I was not referring to yourself, you did try and help me out and I appreciate that.

When we do find our kitty, I will be back to post pictures.