Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM

Question Desperately Searching

Hi to all pet lovers. I'm very new to this site, just stumbled across it as a matter of fact. My best buddy is a wolf/husky that I rescued about four months ago. We live out in the country and my concern is that hunting season is coming up soon. What I'm looking for is a pet-safe colorant, any color, to put on Micky to alert hunters that he is not a wolf nor a wild animal. I have considered those orange hunting vests but I don't think they'll work out here, he's liable to get hung up on something. He does not leave the acreage and because I also have horses I do have "No Hunting" signs posted but where I live, there are road hunters who are not very picky about what they shoot. Does anyone know of a SAFE dye or colorant that would work? I appreciate any help at all. Also, if any one has sugestions on how to help an ex-abused animal recover I would welcome that. He was chained all his 2 years, starved and beaten. He weighed 39 pounds when I rescued him. He is gaining weight (currently he's 60 pounds) and is a wonderful, loving animal, but he frightens easily & does not know how to play. Thank all of you for any help you can give. Joni
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
-

Welcome to the board, Joni. Thank you for rescuing Mickey....he sure didn't have much of a life before that.

Is it not possible to confine him during hunting season? If he frightens easily I would be concerned the sound of gunshots would spook him and he'd run off. :sad:

Personally, I don't approve of dyeing dogs. Are the orange hunting vests you looked at the ones with the straps that go under the dog's belly? There are also the fitted ones that shouldn't get caught on anything:

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/canine_clothing.htm

Also, we would love to see some pics of Mickey.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM

Hi, welcome to the site,

Is it possible to put him into a bright orange bandana or like a bright orange jacket? Can you try keeping him close to home until things cool down?

Failing that....

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acce...QQAdIdZ3281237
I don't think it was exactly what you were thinking of, but maybe hunters will stop and think before shooting at the purple deer.

Good luck, hope to see some pics of your baby.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM

Micky

Thank you for your responses. I would love to post a picture of Micky if I could figure out how (I'm kind of computer challenged). He is a wonderful animal considering what he's been through, VERY food agressive though.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Talking Picture of Micky

The only way I could figure out how to post a picture of my furkid was to put it on my profile. If any of you are interested in seeing a picture of my amazingly beautiful wolf/husky, that's where you can see him.
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Beautiful pic of Micky , Welcome to the forum, if you cannot confine him while hunting season is on (like rainbow, I would be worried he'd spook and run off) I'd put a bandana/safety vest on, and I would go out with him to do his business in the evening/night, if you are not home during the day I would keep him in a secure location while you are away, some hunters 'get off' at just shooting their guns/arrows at anything moving,(IMHO) I think if you were to dye him it might make him more of a target. As far as helping him get over his previous life situation, you've already started him off on the right path, good food and patience and a ton of love, relax go slow and don't push him, he's learning to trust again, play will come later, you'll have many good days and then some bad. Look forward to chatting again sometime
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Thank you Libby. He has come a long way in just four months. When he first came home with me even I couldn't get near him. Now we wrestle and play. I am definitely his Mom. He will go up to people now, after he checks them out first. But women only, he is terrified of men. Our first month together was rough, with the housetraining(I think I must have already put the carpet cleaning man's kid through college!!) and him just having freedom in general. I have 12 acres and for a week he just ran and ran and ran. He had never been in a vehicle before & was afraid. Now, he's in the truck before I am and ends up going to work with me more often than not. Thankfully I have an understanding boss. Day by day we're working on his issues and I have no doubt he knows he is now loved and safe.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM

What about a life jacket?

Thank you for being so patient with this guy.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

If he just wore something orange around his neck, wouldn't hunters figure out right away that it was a dog? I guess you always have to think of the minority who put your dog at risk.
I hope you can ride out the season.
Do you also wear reflective clothing in hunting season? Just wondering.
Great picture, Prin. Happy dog.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks...

That life jacket has reflecty stipes on it too. It's really easy to see from far away and isn't constricting for running or anything. The velcro under the belly is also thick enough to help prevent stick jabs in the belly when the doggy is running through the woods.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I think the safest thing to do is to hog tie him in the house from dawn to dusk. Hunters here will shoot anything. Last year (true story) one had shot a deer, decapitated it and was carrying the deer head out of the woods on his shoulders. Another hunter saw the deer head moving and shot the guy dead. A friend of mine's $5000 horse was shot in the head by a hunter two years ago. I understand the need for deer hunting, I just think some of the hunters get too trigger happy. I WILL make certain Micky is safe one way or another. Neat pic Prin.
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Performance Spaniels

I also like the lifejacket idea but I'm likely biased because I own one
If your woods are that treacherous, I'd be very afraid to let my family people or furries outside during hunting season..

Old September 24th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with a bandanna, or keeping him close to the house during hunting season. You may not want to tie him up if he was tied during his abused days... it could very well bring back nasty memories.
The lifejacket is a nice idea in the sense that it is bright and abvious, but if you were a dog, would you want to be wearing a life jacket when you didn't have to (ie not swimming?) Imagine a full day in a life jacket.... they aren't the most comfortable of items.
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Honest Contributor

micky is absolutely beautiful... you are an for saving him. i agree with keeping him close to you during hunting season, put some bright bandanas around his neck when walking him... i HATE hunting and find it assinine and even more so when you're not safe on your own property :sad:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Puppyluv, most of the bulk is on the back and not where the limbs are. Boo can run full out in his and doesn't mind it at all.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Mickey's safty

Welcome DakotaJo. I recently adopted a rescue dog who had been kennelled, neglected and starved. She was used for breeding. Scared of every sound and movement made by anyone or anything. Accidents in the house....living room area rug and a few other throw carpets are now outside over the back fence......Food aggressive also. Did not know what toys were or how to play. The best advice I got was on this forum under training. I have had "Boo"for a month now and its amazing what time and love will do. I giggled when I saw that you took Mickey to work as I do that with Boo too. She loves the car and I would rather have her with me than alone in the yard at home.
Here in Alberta we get some "wacko" hunters also. Shoot at anything that moves...horses around here have been shot mistakenly and people hurt. I've had to nurse a severely wounded animal back to health and it is gut wrenching......my advice to you......don't leave her alone or put her somewhere safe, I personally wouldn't risk the neon orange vest to assure Mickey's safety although it is a wonderful idea. The thought of Mickey being wounded in the woods and left.....well I'm choking up already.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:38 AM

You all are the absolute best. I am so glad I found this site.:love: What an amazing bunch of caring, loving people. So often, in a farming community like mine, pets are thought of as just "livestock" and nothing more. Thank you all for the compliments on Micky. I think he's beautiful but then I'm biased. I know I've heard of kids dying their hair with Kool-Aid or Jello in liquid form. Anybody know anything about using it on dogs? I would think either would be really safe for my friend but I'm not sure. Any feedback?
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I would be alittle worried about the fact that you don't know what colour orange koolaide would make the fur. If it's not bright orange, from far away, the colour could mimick that of a deer or another brownish coloured animal. If you do decide to dye him (and koolaide would probably be your safest choice) do a test patch to see what colour it is. Also, I know many hunters take dogs hunting with them. What do they do with their dogs where you live? You might even ask a dog owning hunter what they use, or what they would respond to the most.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, Puppyluv. I'll give the koolaid thing a try maybe this weekend. Many hunters here take their dogs with them and rarely have I seen a vest or anything else bright on their dogs to make them distinguishable. Again, where I live, pets aren't pets, they're livestock. The cruelty I have seen while living here would make you ill. I'll be leaving the state soon and it can't be too soon for me.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Have you considered trying to find the orange vests the department of transportation workers wear? I know they aren't expensive and would probably be easier to put on than the life vest. I just agree that I'm not sure how koolaid would show on a dog with the color of your dog. I think the bright orange would work best.

By the way, welcome to the forum and your baby is beautiful.
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
-

Joni, I wish you would reconsider the kool-aid. Because of Micky's colouring you are going to have one hideous looking dog for awhile.

I really hate chaining a dog but I think I would do that over a dye job. Is there any way you can take Micky to work with you everyday? Or put up a run to secure him in? Or take him to a daycare just until hunting season is over?
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM

I forgot that I bought this a few years ago... It's the real deal to prevent doggies from getting sticks jabbed in their bellies when running through the woods. As you can see, it's BRIGHT orange, and only cost me about $7 (Canadian).
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry but colouring your dog or puttig a vest on would not prevent some hunter who thinks huntng is party time and gets half drunk prior to going out from shooting your dog, instead that would made your dog more visible and more of a target for these idiots.

My dad is a serious hunter/sportmans and conservationist he has even been shot at by trigger happy drunk hunters while wearing an orange vest and ended up in the hospital, I work in an auto plant I listen to the conversation of many of these so called hunters who got out not only armed with a gun but lots of liquor as well to them seeing an orange dog would probably be an excuse for target practice. You are better off taking the dog out on leash or making a small fenced in area near the house for him to use during hunting season
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys
Sorry but colouring your dog or puttig a vest on would not prevent some hunter who thinks huntng is party time and gets half drunk prior to going out from shooting your dog, instead that would made your dog more visible and more of a target for these idiots.

to them seeing an orange dog would probably be an excuse for target practice. You are better off taking the dog out on leash or making a small fenced in area near the house for him to use during hunting season
I just wanted to say I agree with Ontario Greys comments. I know you want to protect your baby and I think if he were wearing orange he would be seen easier yes, but his looks (that of a pure wolf in a drunks eyes) may in some dimented hunters eyes give him permission to shoot anyhow because of the wolf look

For years now I have listened to the wonderful howling of the coyotes in the forests behind my home, while at a fur and feather show on Sun. we met a breeder there that lives on my street he says our area has become a home for wolves lately and that they have eaten some of their livestock.......So guess what they went out to hunt sunday evening somehow I don't think they would hesitate because of an orange jacket....purple mark....or any other kind of marking....to them if it looks like a wolf end of story

So I would keep your little darling close to home or walk him regularly yourself just to give you peace of mind.

Last edited by Iggette; September 26th, 2006 at 05:07 AM.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Contributor

By the way, very beautiful dog and thanks for being an angel and rescuing him from his horrible existence that he was living:love:
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Thanks you all for your in-put and the compliments on my baby. You have convinced me that coloring probably won't work. The hunters here also bring lots of beer with them, it's more a drunk fest than hunting party. I have sworn that I will never put Micky on a chain again since he's lives his life on one. Hopefully, we'll move into the city before the season starts. He had his first introduction to children last night and he did really well. I was somewhat nervous, as was he, but before too long he was licking them and letting them pet him. He's coming along.
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys

My dad is a serious hunter/sportmans and conservationist he has even been shot at by trigger happy drunk hunters while wearing an orange vest and ended up in the hospital, I work in an auto plant I listen to the conversation of many of these so called hunters who got out not only armed with a gun but lots of liquor as well to them seeing an orange dog would probably be an excuse for target practice. You are better off taking the dog out on leash or making a small fenced in area near the house for him to use during hunting season

That is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post, some drunken hunters will shot at anything that moves Move very slow with the introduction of children, never leave unattended, just because he was a good boy this time expect the unexpected for his progress, and your patience
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I have lots of hunting relatives and from the sounds of it, even if they see a dog that looks nothing at all like a wolf, some of them will shoot it, as that dog might be hunting or scaring 'their' deer. Even though wolves are endangered where they hunt, I've also heard some of them comment they would shoot it because the wolves are supposedly killing all 'their' deer and once the deer are all gone, 'it'll be women and children next'. If there are lots of hunters about, I'd stay out of the woods and keep the animals inside too. No one is safe.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM

You can get the highly reflective tape that is on those life jackets at a fabric store. Its called 3M reflective tape and is weather proof. It will at least give the dog some visibility and you piece of mind when you're out walking. If you don't have access to a sewing machine PM me with your dog's neck size. I'll make a few loose fiting collars for you that we'll figure out how to make so they break off easy.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
owned by Tucker

Is there a Bass Pro near you? In the hunting, yes hunting section of the store they have stuff for hunting dogs including vests and bells.
I know what happens to dogs in hunting season, one of my neighbours dogs got shot dead a few years ago during deer season, how they mistook a large black and white Newf for a deer I don't know. I have always used orange bandana's on my dogs during hunting season and this year I bought Tucker a cow bell type of thing for hunting dogs from Bass Pro. So he will have a bell and a bandana on, you never know who could be on your property, we have had unwanted hunters on ours before.