Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old September 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Missing Cat: Oakville, ON

*** CAT HAS BEEN FOUND ***

REWARD
LOST CAT

Cat Information:
Name Topi
Registered Yes
Age 3 years
Sex Female
Color Gray
Markings/ Distinguishing Characteristics
Topi did not have a cat collar, Topi is an indoor cat. Her tail also has noticeable stripes. Her eyes are noticeably yellow.

Hair Short Hair
Contact Information:
Name Lillian or Frank
Address address removed because she was found.
Phone phone number removed because she was found.

Location Same address as above.
Date September 06, 2006

Story:
Topi snuck out of the house on Wednesday September 6, 2006 at around 5:00 P.M. Topi is especially skittish around strangers and may be difficult to catch. Topi is not aggressive toward people or other animals. Topi is on medication in which she needs to take weekly. PLEASE call if you see her or are able to capture her. We miss her terribly! An award will be issued upon her safe return.

Last edited by topi; September 10th, 2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

If she is an indoor cat chances are she's afraid to come out to your calls, but she is probably close to home and can hear you. Please check all your neighbours sheds, garages, etc. Good luck. I hope you find your kitty. Keep us posted.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
If she is an indoor cat chances are she's afraid to come out to your calls, but she is probably close to home and can hear you. Please check all your neighbours sheds, garages, etc. Good luck. I hope you find your kitty. Keep us posted.
Thank you for the encouragement and the tips. We shall keep everyone posted.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

This site has interesting facts...
http://www.lostapet.org/101_archive_list.shtml
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

This article came from the ASPCA...

Finding A Lost Indoor-Only Cat
If your indoor-only cat has escaped outside there is good news--your cat is probably not lost at all! That is because it is likely that your cat is hiding and, depending upon the terrain, may be closer than you think! When an indoor-only cat escapes outside, it is a case of where is the cat hiding? That is because cats are territorial and your cat's territory was inside of your home. Once a cat is transplanted into unfamiliar territory, it seeks shelter because it is afraid. A cat that is afraid (and cats that are injured) will seek areas of concealment (under a deck, under a house, under a porch, in heavy brush, etc.) the chances are that your kitty will not respond to your voice and they will not meow! Meowing would give up their location to a predator. It has nothing to do with whether the cat loves you, whether it recognizes your voice, or whether it can smell you--it has everything to do with the fact that a frightened cat will hide and be silent!

Indoor-only cats are often found within a three house radius of their home, so keep your efforts close by. Remember she may not meow back when you call and yet still be very close. Some Indoor-only cats become very frightened when thrust into the unfamiliar outdoor world and will do everything possible to stay hidden. They are most likely hunkered down to the ground, more frightened than ever before, ready to dart away from any perceived threat - even from you.

Thoroughly search your property. Try to think like a cat, your cat specifically. Look around and try to imagine what could have happened to account for the disappearance and help you look in the right places. Bring a flashlight and check EVERYWHERE (possibly multiple times): inside drain pipes and culverts, in heavy brush, sheds, basement crawl spaces, open garages, under decks, any place that your pet could hide. THINK CLOSE...that he is nearby but hiding.

Indoor only cats are in a "scaredy cat" mode while they are outside, they have that instinct to stay put, hide, and will NOT meow. The only thing that might cause a cat to travel is if a dog or something were to frighten her, or if there was no place that offered protection and if there was no source of food or water. So please leave out food and water, as well as belongings with a familiar scent so that your cat does not have any reason to wander.

If you've been looking everywhere for your cat without any results, one method that has resulted in the recovery of many "missing" indoor-only cats is the same method used to capture feral cats--the use of a humane trap. These wire cages have a trip mechanism that when triggered by a cat, will shut the door and contain a cat inside. They are available through most animal shelters, some veterinarians, as well as pet shops and hardware stores. Thus your next step in getting your cat back is to going to be to obtain a cat trap with yummy canned cat food and attempt to trap her. This method has a 70% success rate for finding the lost indoor only cat.

Last word of advice is DON'T GIVE UP THE SEARCH TOO SOON. Don't give up as soon as the cat fails to return home or after only a few days and don't just wait for the cat to come back or not. Keep looking in those same old spots, calling and listening. Try new spots; enlarge your search-area to the next block or the next after that.

98% of cats reported missing to animal shelters are never returned to their owners. WHY? Because cat owners are not being told how and where to search for their missing cat! They are being told to post flyers and to drive twenty miles to check the animal shelter but they are not being instructed to set humane traps in their neighbor's yard because their indoor-only cat might be hiding. They are being told to place an advertisement in the local paper but they are not being told that indoor-only cats will likely be hiding within their territory in an area of concealment and that they will not meow.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
-

Also look up into trees. Lots of people focus their attention on the ground and forget to look up.

Good luck.
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM

thank you for the valuable input. we are going to pursue our search.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Papa D

i have a crew of three trucks in and around oakville every day.......i'll ask the guys to keep an eye out.your north oakville right
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson
i have a crew of three trucks in and around oakville every day.......i'll ask the guys to keep an eye out.your north oakville right
That would be amazing, thank you!. Yes, I'm in the North part of Oakville (Dundas St./Bronte Rd.) area.

Thank you again!!!
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Topi,I urge you to be nosy with your neighbors,ask to go check backyards,sheds,under porches etc...
A friends indoor cat was found after 2 weeks,only 4 houses away,being fed regularly by a cat-loving lady.
I assume you have put up posters everywhere,contacted the OHS..the problem with cats,unlike loose dogs,with dogs you know they are stray if you see one,but since many people let their cats roam(I do not!)you just don't know:sad:
I live quiet a way south/east of you,but I will certainly keep a lookout for her.
Good Luck!!
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM

topi returned late last Night at 3am. we are extremely happy to have her back. i wanted to thank everyone on this website who offered to help. thank u from the bottom of my heart.
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

YAY!!
Thank goodness shes home!

Be sure to give her the "reward"
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

That's wonderful,thank's for letting us know
I hate the knowledge some little cat is out there on her own,terrified,cold and hungry.:sad:
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
-

Oh, that is really great news.

Did she come home on her own or did you find her somewhere?
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome home... ...but don't ever do it again
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Heres the story:

We had handed out flyers and went door to door looking for her. We asked for permission to go into yards from many of the neighbours (as per tips given by this site), but we did not find anything. We actually had 2-3 false phone calls. Basically neighbours called in, however the cat they saw was almost identical to ours (similar breed) but as it turns out it was not our cat. I guess there is a lot of cats in our neighbrouhood that roam around.

Then my mother woke up suddendly around 3am and went to check the back yard, there was nothing in the back yard. She headed toward the front doors, and noticed a cat coming from one of our neighbours homes (front yards) and went under our car which looked like our cat. My mother opened the door and said her name. The cat immediately ran straight toward the door (meowed with happiness once or twice).

Surprisingly she did not look beat up, she looked great, she was a bit skinny, thirsty and tired. We took her immediately to the vets (that same morning) and there is nothing wrong with her (great news yet again).

She is healthy and running around once again. haha.

Thanks again everyone, we'll keep my eye open on this website, just hoping that I do not have to post again regarding my cat. LOL
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Boss-lady!

That's great news! I'm glad she's home and no worse for her adventure. you never have to go through that again!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks, me too