Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Red face gay cat

Although this is not a medical problem and I guess not even a problem,I just wanted to see if this is"normal"behaviour,if other catowners have had the same experience.
Maybe it's just a supply and demand problem
My Chico,5yr old male,at certain times during the evening,will start running around as if to entice Rocky,Rocky gets all excited and grabs Chico by the neck and tries to mount him....
Chico,of course will then start whining and we have to put a stop to it,but Chico right away will start the same enticing behaviour...and here we go again:-)
As I have said before,I have three neutered males and have had cats most of my life,I am just curious to hear if this is a common occurence,are they just simply sexstarved and will grab the next best thing?
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had male cats all my life too. They never tried to mount each other, but would do it to fuzzy blankets, etc.

My present ex-feral tomcat took to humping my little foster kitten all over the place. She's a female, but was only about 10 weeks when he was doing this. I've had another tom try to hump 4 week old kittens!!
They may be neutered, but their memories are intact.

This can also be a dominance display. If no one is getting hurt it's not really a big deal, except esthetically!

Just give a "Hey!" or handclap when this starts, to distract them, and maybe give them a toy or tinsel ball to chase. You could also paint some bitter apple on the back of the neck of the cat being mounted, if Chico is grabbing him there.

Boys will be boys, I guess....LOL!

Just curious - what kind of "enticing behaviour' is Chico showing?
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:00 AM

male neutered cats mounting each other

My cats (2 neutered males) occasionally do the exact same thing. One is always the humper and the other the humpee.

I too just give a loud yell and clap and they stop.

If the humpee didn't make painful noises maybe I'd let them have their fun, but the humpee doesn't seem to be consenting.

I'm guessing the cats aren't gay (Not that there's anything wrong with that) but rather like men in prison, some action is better than no action.
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, Lucky,Chico will pick a time when Rocky is sleeping(young Vinnie is not involved,yet!)He'll start prancing with his tail up,making little sounds in front of Rocky,then run down the stairs and of course Rocky will follow all exited,yeah!!!
Then when he gets caught he'll whine,I'll clap and they break up,but Chico will start the same thing over again...Oh well!
Did anyone read about the lady with 96 cats in her garage,she has to find homes for all but 3,by-law allows only 3 cats and 2 dogs,same as here in Oakville.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Chocolate

I got my 2 males neutered as soon as they turned 6months... & in the 2.5 years I had them... he never mounted one another for any, um, sexual interests...

One DID mount on the back of the other & tried biting @ him... but that was bc he was the dominate cat....

EVERYONE, how old were u'r cats when they started humping???!

& @ what age were they neutered? I'm thinking this would make a BIG difference... let's hear it
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Aggie...My vet liked to neuter them at 8 months,because apparently,according to her,the cats head will be larger the longer you wait.Looking at Humane Society cats,neutered at an older age,I tend to believe her,they are ALL big cats.
However all three of mine were neutered at about 7 months.
Were the cats on your pics the ones you gave up? I hope to a home as good as yours and together
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Chocolate

Yes... that was them...

I still miss them so much... the inevitable "if only" keeps popping back in my head...

thanx, Anita..
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

dont worry this is perfectly normal behaviour for many animals and is common in pack dependant animals (even if they have humans now). many animal have homosexual tendancies and it is for social and survival reasons. many animal, such as the female bonobo show regular homosexual behaviour but it has no bearing on their normal mating or heterosexual reproduction (even homosapians did it). it fosters group bonding which has social and survival applications. i have felt for 8 years that my little girl is a lesbian due to certain behaviour. and some animals have been known to change species that they attract to, this generally happens between animals (commonly birds) and human carers. i myself have experienced the beautiful courting dance of an over affectionate peacock, i know of a wildlife carer who had a large hawk in care, it kept trying to mate with her head (very dangerous you can imagine) but it didnt do it to her husband and kids. also many fish species actually change sex during their life cycle. animal behaviour and sexuality is strange, i am fascinated with it. so as long as both parties are consenting i dont think there is anything wrong with it, but in the above cases i dont think that consent is from both parties, poor cat