Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

The victims of irresponsibility

This is Comet. He was trapped last night, after spending the winter outside in the recent -40 temps. He is sick and wounded. The suffering he has endured in his fight for survival in unimaginable. He may have to euthanized tomorrow, if the vet finds he is infected with any contagious and fatal illness.

His life of misery and suffering may be all he'll ever know. PLEASE get your cats spayed and neutered and keep them safe inside. If you do not, YOUR cat could end up like Comet.
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG

He is so adorable.

Why are there so many stupid @#&*%^$ heartless people out there.It just makes me sick.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

AWWWW!!! Poor kitty!!! I hope he is going to be ok!!! He looks like he could have a little fight left in him!!! Good luck Comet!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little cat,it breaks my heart...he looks to be a beautiful cat.
No matter what the outcome,at least he is not freezing anymore,hopefully he'll recover and findsomeone to love him.
I will never understand all those idiots out there who think a cat can be out in the cold
I often wonder,while my cats are laying cozy and well fed in front of the fire-place,how many cats/dogs are out there trying to survive in the cold and I always keep a look out for any strays.
How can you sleep at night knowing your cat is out there somewhere? All they want is someone to love them..I'll never understand people

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
banned user

I'm sorry but this just breaks my heart!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Aw LR...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Comet. Was he feral, or had he had an owner at one point, do you think?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Carina, he is so stressed, traumatized and sick, we can't even tell if he is tame or not. We didn't want to stress him any more by finding out.

If he ever had a home, it was a very long time ago. In fact, we think he is the brother of another black, Exotic shorthair female we trapped two years ago!

We are just now waiting for the vet to call so we'll know what his fate will be.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,how is he reacting? Will he let someone touch him?
Is he eating,or is he too sick? He soooo deserves a chance at being loved and cared for,but if he has to be put down there is not much you can do,poor,poor little guy
Please keep us posted...
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR

I am hoping Comet just needs some R and R!

I will pray that there's nothing fatally serious wrong with this baby. Pls let us know.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Good news and bad news. Comet tested negative for FiV and FeLV, but the bad news is that we have no where to put him.

HIs ears are bloody hamburger from ear mites. He has abcesses and rhino. He will stay at the vet while his many wounds and illnesses are treated. The thought of this guy being euthanized after struggling and fighting so hard to live is heartbreaking.

If anyone knows of someone who has a barn or other outbuilding who would take this poor guy and show him the first human kindness he has ever known, please let me know!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Lr..well,that's good news,better than I expected..
I sooo wish I could give him the love he deserves....but then I would have to give Rocky a double dose of anti-anxiety drugs
He must be a very brave little cat,but then again he did not really have a choice.Hopefully someone will give him a chance..sorry it can't be me
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:12 PM
Chocolate

same here

Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Well...we do have a barn, but it's certainly not very warm here...bringing him into the house with three dogs & another male cat would be challenging.
If there was no other choice...but I don't know how one would get him to Michigan! Wouldn't flying a cat be really traumatising?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I posted a reply, but it vanished.

Anyway - Carina, when I told Debbie (who runs the rescue) about you, she said "What a wonderful woman!" and nearly cried to see that someone cares about this cat, for the first time in his life.

His story is going in the local paper next week. This is horse country, and we are HOPING that someone will offer a barn home to this guy.

We will certainly keep your very very kind offer in mind,and if worse comes to worst, may call on you yet!

This cat does not need to be in the house, if your barn is the least bit warm. He would just need to be locked in for a few weeks and fed, so that when he is let out he won't leave!

He just spent the coldest January in history outside with no shelter, so a barn would be heaven to him.

Thanks for caring, everyone!! It's so encouraging, just when we were so DIScouraged.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR

Post this on www.petfinder.com

I'm sure you will get some response there!!!!!

This cat NEEDS some love and kindness!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I was afraid to look and see what you had to say,but I guess this means he's doing not too bad...
If he goes in the paper,I am sure some cat-lover will respond..he will be his beautiful self if he is only loved and cared for.
Hopefully not in just a barn,but in a home...or is he like a feral cat,surviving on hs own for so long?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Comet had to be anesthetized today, for the vet to examine and treat his injuries, and neuter him.

His heart stopped on the table, but the vet revived him. This boy wants to live so badly.

We aren't sure if he is feral, or just terrified after being outside for so long. Only time will tell.

I've seen perfectly friendly and tame cats freak out at the vet and act like wild beasts!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I am rooting for Comet, what a fighter...and what a lucky cat to have people like you, LR, & the others involved, to save his life & show him compassion.

I really really hope he pulls through, and gets a wonderful home..can you post a link to the paper when he's featured?
And if all else fails (which I'm sure it won't) I'll do what I can to get him to Michigan!

BTW - my heart sank when I glanced at your post...it said "anesthetized" and for a second I read "euthanised."
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And if all else fails (which I'm sure it won't) I'll do what I can to get him to Michigan!
Don't worry - if it comes to that , we'll get him there somehow!

What city in MI are you near? It might be close to my friend Andrea at PITCREW rescue - I'm sure she would help transport!

The vet judged Comet to be around 5 - which is the average lifespan for outside cats. - IF they are very tough, resourceful and lucky. His time was nearly up.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Carina....I read "euthanized" first too!! I'm glad I went back and read it again.....through the tears of course!! That poor poor little guy!!! I live in Alberta, but don't have a barn or a garage even that he could stay in!! I wish I could help!! Too bad we are so far away!!! Good luck little Comet!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

His heart stopped and mine nearly did ....the 'thanized' part got me too YIKES!!

WHEW thank goodness there is such thing as dyslexia!

Does he have to be an outdoor cat so to speak? Is there any hope he would possibly maybe adapt to indoor situation?
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Same here,my heart went for a leap!!!!
I wish he knew how many people are rooting for him and that his life would change,if he does not give up.
Cats and I suppose dogs,have a way of giving up once they've had enough.I'll never forget my 19-yr old Sammy,after a year of back and forth to the vet,one morning he just kind of looked at me laid down in my lap and told me he's ready to go
I hope all these treatments are not too traumatizing for him,this vet must be wonderful not to give up.Does he/she know Comet has a cheering-section?
Who is paying for all his treatments?
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM
banned user

Ahh poor comet!!!! I read the same thing and started to cry till I realized I read it wrong WHEW!

I sure hope the best for this fellow!
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Who is paying for all his treatments?
Lucky Rescue is paying for all his treatments and the bill is going to be a whopper, even with our discount

We've had people tell us to just euthanize the ones who will cost a lot of money, aren't very adoptable, are old, etc. But that is NOT what we are about, and we never euthanize any animal unless it has a terminal illness.

We believe they all deserve a chance, and shouldn't have to die just because no one cares about them. If they are 15 yrs old, have a leg missing, or have no eyes - this doesn't make them any less worthy of love and care.

It just takes one special person to see beyond the battered body or signs of age and know how much these guys still have to offer.

A case in point is Mr.Magoo. After a lifetime of neglect he was abandoned at 14 yrs old, with bad skin and major dental problems. Everyone told us to euth him - he was too old. Wrong! He was adopted and his new owner called me last week to rave about how wonderful he is and how much she loves this quirky character!
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Chocolate

aww, I'm so happy from mr. magoo & his human companion!

Old February 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Imagine if certain animal 'societies' ran our long term care facilities and nursing homes???

How many people would be euth'd

I hear in Mtl one of them euth's everthing over 5 yrs.... so anyone in their 30's and upward would be visited by a Dr. Kavorkian!

Hmmm

Something to ponder on!
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I am amazed at what you do,you and the people working with you are absolute angels.I wish I was 20yrs old,there would be nothing more worthwhile in my life than bringing some love and care to unwanted,abandonned cats,dogs,birds and whatever else.A million $$$$ would probably help too
My three cats I had before these three I now have,all lived long happy lives Sammy 19,Cookie 18 and Peppi who only lived to be 16 because of diabeties,but 10-15 is not old,not if they are healthy.
I suppose many rescues and HS would have euthanized Comet,he looked in pretty bad shape,thank's for giving him a chance.
Maybe I'll be able to send you a little donation towards the huge bill for Comet.
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, you & yours are angels, truly.

I'm near Flint - an hour from Saginaw, Detroit & Ann Arbor depending which direction I go.
And Mr Magoo - what a neat story!! He looks just like our cat Krazy - same pale orange tabby.
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow. Anita, any donation in any amount to the Lucky Rescue Fund would be soooooo appreciated! There are only 3 of us trying to help all these poor cats! We now have a Paypal acct. There is a direct link from our homepage.
Lucky Rescue

Comet is just one of the forgotten creatures who desperately needs our help. Thank you for thinking about him - not many people would. He's not beautiful or cuddly, but he still deserves to live.

Carina - so far you are the ONLY person offering to take this guy. He's still very sick, but when he gets healthier, I'll let you know!

Mr.Magoo was MY foster and he was so funny and sweet! Older animals have great charm and character.