Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 26th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Where Are You From & What Do You Do?

Hi!
I thought we can start a thread letting everyone know where we're from & what we do for a living in hopes of getting to know each other. If I'm way off base by asking this & please tell me.

My name is NiNa, I'm a 36 single white female. I live in the southern part of NJ with my best friend Casey . I totally enjoy my home business b/c it gives me supplemental as well as residual income & the flexibilty to live life the way I want!

A Victor ~ Not A Victim
NiNa

next....
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I think we did this before

My name is Jackie - I am married mom of 3 kids - one of them is Joey and he is furry with four legs and long floppy ears.

I live in the North Okanagan - when I am not busy playing with my kids, getting stuff out of Joeys fur again You can find lurking me on Pets.ca

Oh yes and I work full time casual right now for BC Hyrdo doing customer service in their call centre.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

My name is Erika, I am from the West Nippissing area ( near North Bay and Sudbury) In Northern Ontario Canada.
I have no human children for Icannot afford them due to my fur babies!!!! However I have 3 dogs 6 cats and 4 rabbits ( plus a few rescues that i am fostering)

I work for Hydro one reading meters ( really like this job)

I am saving to purchase the house I have lived in for 4 years and one day.... one day.. hope to have 2 children of the human kind!!!
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Hey Erykah I get to ask customers about their doggies so the metre readers can give them treats thats in BC though Do you carry doggie treats with you.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Yes and I am VERY generous with them too! We have an avid "sprayer" amung our group whom I am at my wits end with though!!! He refuses to give treats and I am starting to loose my patience with him!

But thats the best part of my day!!! Coming up to a house with a big Rottie or Pittie ( which no one else will read the meter and we have immense messages about) and after a treat these dogs are the kindest animals and will follow me around the house while I read! It makes me all warm inside when a few treats wins a dogs heart over!!!
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.Cocker'sMommy
I think we did this before
Yeah, we did....here's the link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26869

I live in the beautiful West Kootenays, B.C. I'm married, no human kids, but mom to a siberian husky, a yellow lab, a white and black long haired cat and a siamese cross.
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I'm 36 from Southern Ontario. I'm married with no human kids and no plans on it. I have 2 Shepherd/Collie crosses Duke & Jasper and a Brown Tabby named Zoey. Right now I'm a stay at home Mom to my fur babies but am thinking about returning to work if husband agrees. He said if I'm going to have pets I should be at home with them. That was the agreement when we bought our home and decided I wanted some animals.
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm 47 . . . . . a stockbroker/financial advisor for 19 years with a bank firm in Calgary . . . . married for 21 years to Mrs. C, living on an acreage southwest of Calgary . . . . . two Golden Retrievers and four cats.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Hi I'm Dyanne, I live in Peterborough Ontario with my husband and 2 dogs, Sam (a lab boxer x) and Maia (boxer). I also have a 46 gallon community fish tank and a 10 g betta tank. No kids. We are both teachers, but I am on a sabbatical teaching for the University (Faculty of Education; biology and science teaching).
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I'm Prin. I'm just north of Montreal. And I'm a slacker with two furry beasties.
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Hi I'm Kelly. I'm 31 years old, unmarried, but living in sin with my honey of almost five and a half years. Anyway, we have one spoiled baby name Jesse who is about two and a half years old and we also have a 55 gallon fish tank with lots of fishies in it. I am a Sales Rep for the snacks division of Kellogg's and have been with them for five and a half years.

Edit to add because I forgot the entire question. We moved to Orlando, FL in the beginning of the year and before that lived in Ocean City, MD for just over two years and before that was born and raised outside of Philadelphia, Pa.

Last edited by jesse's mommy; August 26th, 2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm Becca, born in the Canadian Rockies, From Calgary, Live in Montreal. I go to school (McGill), getting a major in human physiology with a triple minor in neurobiology, psychology and philosophy. I work at the 'Bucks, and until recently, babysat for a family with three children under 5. I have one dog, a 2yo lab/whippet cross, and try to steal my parents' dog, a 10 yo Groenendael, when ever I go home... uhh I could go on, but I think y'all would get annoyed by my lengthy description of where I spend weekends/summers/winters etc, what I want to do when I graduate, etc... so I'll stop now.
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Puppyluv, you're not in med school yet?
Old August 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The demons' servant

I'm Megan, first time pet owner (I don't count the hamster...no where near as difficult as cats), I'm a Computer Networking Student at Mohawk College (Hamilton Ontario). I'm 21 years old, I haven't got a job, I'm living off of...well I'm not sure exactly...lol I have a boyfriend of a year and a half named Arron and I've lived with him since May.

I have two demons...I mean cats...who love to play all night and wake the neighbours. If I were to make a Pinky and the Brain reference, then I would say that Leo is Pinky while Pawz is the Brain. Leo gets in trouble a lot but I think its cuz Pawz puts him up to it! They're just so nasty and horrid when they come up to me and purr at me, the evil little buggers. They know when they've done wrong (they get extra purry) and they STILL get into everything!

Megan
Old August 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Yeah, we did....here's the link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26869

I live in the beautiful West Kootenays, B.C. I'm married, no human kids, but mom to a siberian husky, a yellow lab, a white and black long haired cat and a siamese cross.
I knew there was something I really liked about you rainbow. I love siberian Huskies & Labs!

When I was a kid I had a Red haired Siberian with one blue eye. He was an awesome dog! :love:
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
-

One of my last two siberians was a red/white with one blue eye and one hazel eye and the other was black/white with blue eyes. They had the same father but different moms. They are awesome dogs and I absolutely love the breed.

Now everyone can get back to their introductions.
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm Mary Beth (I think there's another Mary Beth somewhere on the boards?)

I live in Northern Jersey and came here last year when my first dog, a shih tzu rescue was sick. I got great advice and now know so much more about doggies. I now have a one year old shih tzu, Cooper, and we're thinking about adding a rescue in the fall or spring. We just have to find the right dog who really needs us.

I'm older than dirt, married for 25 years to Tom and have a 24 year old son and 20 year old daughter. So the nest is empty most of the time, except for the Coop dog.

I taught elementary school a long time ago and have been a stay at home mom since then. I now do some public speaking at church and women's groups which I LOVE !!!! I can't believe anyone gives me money for that--I would pay THEM (sssshh, don't let that get around)

I also work for Marilu Henner (from Taxi and Evening Shade) She has written a series of books on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and I work as an adminstrator and coach on her website. She's so sweet, and incredibly dynamic, so that's another great job !

Oh, and my husband and I own a consulting firm. Advanced Retirement Solutions. (401K and profit sharing plans, stuff like that) Well I do mostly nothing with that, since I'm so not qualified. But I send the cards to the clients when they have babies, and I pay the attorney and the software company. Oh, and I know how to use the fax machine--LOL !! Other than those few things I'm pretty useless. In fact I usually use the fax to have restaurants send me their menus. So I'm pretty much just "supportive wife". It's better for the marriage this way.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM

I live in southwestern ontario with my hubby, black lab, 2 cats (orange/tan tabby and black kitty), 5 zebra danios and beta bertha. I am an RVT (registered veterinary technician) and wouldn't be doing anything else with my life!
I'm 25 yo.

Last edited by RVT092481; August 27th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not from Keswick, but I live there right now. Currently on parental leave (for one more week ) then back to the world's worst job. Pursuing a career in policing, and developing a mountain bike website, and also have started a line of women's bike wear.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM

im 18 , from the 905/416 , im single , i have one beautiful daughter , have 2 dogs , 5 cats , + a couple cat and kitten fosters and a pit bull foster , + my 2 other babies a '67 shelby cobra GT350 and my '88 'stang.. both street racing cars(both street legal ) , i work for a animal shelter , i race my cars (it pays for them) , and sing for a band (we just recently reunited)
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm Dodie. I live in the Central Valley of Calif. I have 2 little boys (shhhh! Both poodles, but they don't know it), a budgie, and a bunch of goldfish in a pond (I just can't count them - I think about 24). I've been married 39 years, no kids. I've retired once already from the phone co and now work in the community college library. My login name is because I do stained glass
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Flyball Mom

My name is Judy (Jude I prefer), I'm 32-years-old, um... single, well, sort of considering my boyfriend lives 9000 km away. I live in Oshawa Ontario, in a basement apartment. I have one little girl, Willow, and together we have many, many hobbies... Flyball, Agility, Frisbee, etc. I work as a Visual Field Technician at a medical clinic. I will be heading (back) to Egypt in November to see 'hubby'. Currently, I am dealing with immigration, doggy school, and the decision whether or not to have jaw surgery.

My nickname has been mine since I was 12-years-old or so.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Puppyluv, you're not in med school yet?

Nahhhh.... Haven't applied yet, I want to finish my Bull **** degree (BSc), and since I decided to do three minors, it's taking a little while
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
since I decided to do three minors, it's taking a little while
Three minors eh? All at the same time? The cops don't mind? (It was either that or a joke about miners, but that just wasn't working. Ok, neither does this..).

Why three minors though? You like school that much or does it look good on your transcript?

Glasslass, when I first came here, I thought you were glassglass with DenDen. You know, it matched.
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

My name is Teresa, I live in Spruce Grove, Alberta with my hubby of 10 years 3 sons ages 15, 13 and 9 and my daughter is 11. We have Melei, a shihtzu cross 8 months old, 3 hamsters Delilah and Julius and Mouse, a golden gecko, Apollo, a 35 gal guppy tank with a pleco named Eureka and a Betta in a 5 gal, Ming-Yu.

When I am not cleaning cages, walking the dog or vacuuming the tanks, I work 2 nights a week as a night auditor at a hotel and 2 days on the front desk and doing books for my Hubby and his partner at the repair shop we all own in Stony Plain or being the Mini level co-ordinator for Parkland Basketball.

For fun I surf the net ( well just park at pets.ca most of the time lol) and paint. I am currently self teaching chinese watercolor.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Glasslass, when I first came here, I thought you were
glassglass with DenDen. You know, it matched.
Actually, I think she IS Glassglass with denden...no?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

no, she's glasslass with denden.
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Three minors eh? All at the same time? The cops don't mind? (It was either that or a joke about miners, but that just wasn't working. Ok, neither does this..).

Why three minors though? You like school that much or does it look good on your transcript?

Glasslass, when I first came here, I thought you were glassglass with DenDen. You know, it matched.
I'm minoring in neuro, because I wanted to major in it, but McGill didn't offer it as a Major when I started. I'm minoring in psych because I find it fascinating, and I'm minoring in philosophy to get away from the sciences.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I love the sceinces but also love topics like theology (out of date but interesting all the same, lol) and sociology and political sci - my mother advised us to get a BSc degree tho - then you had options she said. I think it depends on each individual, McMaster accepts sudents into their med school sans a science degree.

I am a pediatric oncologist who is active in enviornmental, medical and partisan politics. I can't spell though but I do not worry about it, it's a minor issue (there's those minors again, lol). I also teach at a med school (mostly working with Residents in peds and hematology - which is what I am Board Certified in, along qith peds). I have a PhD in biochem so do cancer research as well -(which is why it's good I enjoy politics. (sigh or is that )

And oh yeah, i live in the Canadian Maritimes, mostly Halifax but treat kids from all three provinces and Bermuda and some other countries. I also volunteer with Doctors without Borders - a very long story!
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999
Actually, I think she IS Glassglass with denden...no?
So I'm not the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded, overworked Puppyluv
I'm minoring in neuro, because I wanted to major in it, but McGill didn't offer it as a Major when I started. I'm minoring in psych because I find it fascinating, and I'm minoring in philosophy to get away from the sciences.
Ahh... I did journalism to get away from science. Sounds like you've got a ways to go... Good luck.