Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
<-----nut ball

hair consultation?

Is there such a thing as a "hair consultation"?

I have light blonde hair and I am sick of it. I know I know...everyone keeps saying I am lucky having this type of hair, everyone wants my hair, etc etc, but I am still bored of it.

I have NEVER dyed my hair at all, and I want to try it. I am not talking about my whole head, but maybe "highlights" (but in darker colours...are those called lowlights??).

I don't know what terms to use, or how i should approach it with my hairdresser. Should I just drop by and say I was thinking of doing something more funky to my hair this time round?

I was thinking since I have a fair complexion, either some red/auburn "highlights" or something like that.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM

Why not get temporary dye first? It'll wash out for the most part in a month or two. It would give you an idea...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
<-----nut ball

You mean one from the drug store I do at home? No way, I don't want a complete coverup, just some streaks or something. I am clueless about hair dye, do hairdressers only do permanent colour??
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:53 PM

lol no! At the hair dresser! lol (my god the tragic images my imagination is creating right now..lol)

Instead of asking for permanent dye at the hair dresser, ask for temporary dye (good places should have both). My man got his hair dyed temporarily for me. They do a good job, and it washes out so you don't have to commit to anything. (A little does stay though, so you won't go back 100% to your old color)
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Queen

Not sure if you saw my bad hair thread Anyway the place I went to said that a consultation was free and the stylist made sure she understood exactly what I was trying to say I wanted before doing anything. I'd recommend going to a few places and getting a consult and then thinking about which one seemed the most understanding and skilled. For some reason I tend to feel pressured when I go in these places but you don't owe them anything you can leave and think about it first.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
<-----nut ball

Oh, I already have someone I would go to. Been going for years. He went to highschool with my bf and is an amazing hair dresser!! He does all kinds of famous people's hair when they come through toronto. We also go to the same tattoo artist! I trust him. He owns his own salon, so, do I just walk in and say Alex, I want to do something funky to my hair, lets set up an appointment?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:38 PM

"funky/temporary" lol
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Most of the salons around here recommend a consultation before a big change. You can have one for a haircut or hair color or perm. There's no charge and you don't have to commit to having the service done.

I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind talking ot you about what you want to do a few days in advance to give you time to think it over. It sounds as though he's really good and might even have ideas that you haven't thought of.

And when it comes down to it--it's hair. If you don't like a tattoo there's not a whole lot you can do about it but with hair, even "permanent" color isn't permanent. LOL ! Do something fun and if you don't like it you can always change it.