Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM

hubby gave pennicilian shot in neck not butt

please help, we have wolf husky hybrids. chrono's is a male 1 year old with kennel cough, my hubby gave him 3cc's penicilan in neck not the butt, will this hurt him? help him
? should i shoot hubby? everyones heklp would be appriciated on line or call me
julie shay *******

Last edited by Blathach; August 13th, 2006 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Sorry, no personal information
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Ummm, is your hubby a vet? Is this something the vet told you to do? If you just decided to do this, you need to contact a vet immediately and never do things on your own again!
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudama
please help, we have wolf husky hybrids. chrono's is a male 1 year old with kennel cough, my hubby gave him 3cc's penicilan in neck not the butt, will this hurt him? help him
? should i shoot hubby? everyones heklp would be appriciated on line or call me
julie shay *******
i usually give all our pets their shots but had surgery on my right hand and can't do it, my husband usually helps me but in a rush to do the right thibg he did not hear/listen to me when i said in butt, thanks for trying to help
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

So, you are a vet?
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
cat slave

if she was a vet wouldn't she make sure her hubby did the right thing?? and wouldn't she know if it hurt the dog?? and wouldn't she know the consequences of giving shots in the wrong place?
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Why not call the vet and ask if there's anything wrong with giving the shot elsewhere on the body. We're not vets here either.
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Queen

It sounds like there was some miss communication about where to give the shots. It would be wise to call your vet and tell them what happened. If your vet is closed and not connected to an animal emergency number you could call one directly, they should be able to advise you whether or not to bring Chrono in right away to make sure he's okay.

Last edited by Maya; August 14th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I'm going to assume you have been working in concert with your vet on this.

The point of injecting penicillin the hind end is that this is an intra-muscular (IM) injection. The butt is the largest muscle mass accessed while restraining an animal. The neck is also suitable SO LONG AS THE INJECTION IS INTO THE MUSCLE. As I'm sure your vet told you, a penicillin shot directly into the bloodstream can be fatal.

As long as your husband inserted the needle and then pulled back on the plunger to ensure that there was no blood pulled into the syringe; there shouldn't be a problem. If he did inject the 3cc's into the bloodstream, it would probably be very obvious very quickly.

I am not a vet but my equine vet has taught me how to perform IM injections, neck and butt. Before I get jumped on; my equine vet trusts me to perform them in consultation with him and my equine insurance company is fine with it so long as I have records of working with said vet. This is kind of collaboration is very common in the horse world where vets have to travel to the client and some basic IM medications can be the difference between life and death.
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaunders

I am not a vet but my equine vet has taught me how to perform IM injections, neck and butt. Before I get jumped on; my equine vet trusts me to perform them in consultation with him and my equine insurance company is fine with it so long as I have records of working with said vet. This is kind of collaboration is very common in the horse world where vets have to travel to the client and some basic IM medications can be the difference between life and death.

I worked with race horses, and the owners/handlers would give IM shots themselves all the time. The vet would even drop the vaccines off. It was usually for blocking the ankles.

Either way, this vaccine needs to be injected into a muscle and not the blood stream. Just like Esaunders said: as long as your husband pulled back, and there was no blood, then it should be ok. Please take the dog to the vet, or at least call just in case.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Probably he injected the antibiotic subcutaneously (in a fold under the skin.) Hitting a major blood vessel would take some bad luck and skill. If the dog doesn't show any adverse reaction, it'll be okay. Mostly, don't worry--your dog will be alright.

I used to live on a farm, we had a supply of pennicillin and disposeable syringes and pretty much got the injection into the ewes as best we could. Might get it in the bum end or in the neck. Never had one die or even get sicker as a result of the injection. We operated on a pretty tight budget--couldn't afford to call the vet everytime a ewe didn't want to get up in the morning. We got our pennicillin at the feed store (no prescription btw.) I'd more likely call the 80 year old neighbor lady or the county extension agent than the vet. More practical experience there than most vets (even country ones.)

The vet came out a couple of times a year for innoculations and prenatal stuff. Almost never during lambing season, tho.

Might be a good idea to explain to the hubby the diff between sub-Q and IM tho. Sub-Q is under the skin (flap in the back of the neck is a good injection site) for stuff like immunizations. IM is intramuscular for stuff as indicated (like antibiotics) the bum is the biggest and best target, have someone hold on to the neck and muzzle of the dog--IM hurts more.
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

It seems to me the OP might be a breeder of "Wolf-Husky-Hybrids" ,I've read some"breeders"will inject their own animals when needed.