Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Exclamation Pomeranian Hair Loss

I know it is normal for pomeranians to shed their baby coat, but is it normal to have bald patches also? My boy is 4 months old now and he has lost hair on his muzzle with the skin looking a little grey. His chest is bald as well but the skin is nice and pink. I had been reading about Black SKin Disease and it had me worried. A vet said it could be due to hormonal imbalance because he is so small. Right now he is just over 1 lb and turning 16 weeks old. I just wanted a second opinion and any advice that could be helpful. Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Has he been tested for ringworm or mange? Mange looks similar to ringworm early on (dry grey or reddish patches of skin).
If not you need to get him tested because both sarcoptic mange and ringworm are contagious to humans (though mange cannot complete it's life cycle on a human and will go away eventually on it's own).
Demodectic mange is also a LARGE possibility as it can be inherited from the puppy's mother (actually the suppressed immune system that allows the puppy to show signs of it is).

Info on demodectic mange:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=729

Info on sarcoptic mange:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=764

Ringworm:
http://www.thepetprofessor.com/artic...le.aspx?id=211

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 5th, 2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:52 AM

It is not mange. The pink skin on the chest is the healthy pink, its just grey on the muzzle, but he does have bald patches. There is no flaking or dry skin and it's not itchy =/
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Losing puppy coat should not cause bald patches or funny looking skin. I think I would get another opinion from another vet.

Rusty went through some pretty bad puppy uglies, but always had fur on his whole body.
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM

My pom had similar hair loss on his muzzle. It turned out to be demodectic mange, but it cleared up when his immune system kicked in, before we even had a chance to treat it. Demodex can spread quickly, so if the patches get any larger, ask your vet for a skin scraping (they have to make the skin bleed a little to get a proper sample). If the scraping is positive, there are some topicals that are good for treatment. Keep a close eye, because demodex can also be very painful if allowed to get out of control. As for the chest, my pup also got pretty bald around his puppy uglies stage, especially on hos chest from playing and rubbing on the carpet. That's the best advice I can give...I'm still a vet student for the next 3 years!
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM

Smile

After reading the article on demodectic mange, I believe there is a possibility it might be that, but I have had a larger dog with demodectic mange before and the affected area looked red and inflamed, not grey. I will have him checked out to be sure. Thanks for the help.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Demodectic mange can start out just causing loss of fur, but the skin will look healthy. Since your dog already has a greyish spot, the other spots may turn greyish too if they get worse.
They also may not turn greyish at all depending on the severity, because, as kristies stated, if the mange is just localized, and your puppies immune system is not completely compromised (dunno if that's the best word to since i'm not a vet, lol) they could actually disappear on their own and appear in other spots at random.
Either way, your vet should check for it and treat it if present.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Pom Hair Loss

Hello,
It's been quite some time since you posted this, but I just ran across it and wanted to offer help if you were still having a problem.

My Pom began to lose hair on her paws when she was 1 year old. We went through extensive testing and the doctors couldn't figure it out. Finally, we realized she was losing her hair due to the allergens in her dog food. She is now 4 years old and has no problems. I feed her Hill's Prescription Low Allergen ZD Food. That solved everything.

If you're still having problems with hair loss on your pom, please give a food switch a try. Due to this problem, I do not feed her anything outside of her prescription food and a specific treat that she reacts well to.

Hope this helps you and your pom.

thegatorgirl
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Pomeranian Hair

One of my girls developed these symptons and it turned out to be hypothroidism so a vet visit is needed. While you're there and if indeed this is a correct diagnosis monitor him closely while they adjust the meds and keep a close watch on your dog's heart for any irregularities. He should be examined once every month.