Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Lump under collar

Hi there, I am hoping for some input regarding a lump on my girls neck. Attached are pics, the first it looks a lot bigger than it is, so in the second you can get an idea compared to her tags. These were taken a couple days ago. Has anyone seen anything like it? It doesn't really match the description of any typical lumps & bumps found on dogs. It is soft and on the surface/skin only (does not seem "rooted"). Lucy is about 16mos old.

I first noticed it about 6wks ago, appeared like a bite or irritation - was smaller and redder. It seemed to fluctuate in terms of redness (inflammation?) and sometimes would "dry up" and a layer of skin fall off. She is prone to skin issues and atopy.

Had a needle aspiration done 4wks ago as vet was concerned it could be a mast cell tumour. The results came back to rule out the mast cell tumour but there were mono nuclear cells and also neutrophils which suggest an infection/inflammation - vet said she really isn't sure what it is, to monitor and come back in 4 wks. I think it has gotten slightly bigger, flatter and now has a darker appearance. (pics) Our appt is tomorrow.

The vet wants to surgically remove the lump because it is a bit of a mystery with some some strage cells. I have great concerns about putting my girl under anesthetic - she has poor reactions to ALL medicaition we have tried thus far so I am really fearful that it would be tough on her, and that she would be very susceptible to infection afterward. Plus, we don't even know what we are dealing with and from what I understand, the cells did not indicate it was malignant.

So what should I do? Would it be worthwhile to do another aspiration or even a biopsy to try and figure out what it is? Or would you go ahead and have it removed? Obviously if it is cancer or dangerous I would take the risk and remove it but if it is no threat than I would prefer to leave it.
Attached Images

Old August 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM

If it came back suggestive of infection, I'm wondering why antibiotics weren't prescribed?

You might try putting some coconut oil on it, and/or vitamin E, but if it's infected, I would want antibiotics.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Sorry I didnt mention I have a topical antibiotic/steroid spray that I put on the area, as well as calendula. Lucy has not done well on oral antibiotics in the past but maybe iit is something to consider now.

I am sorry that my pics came out so HUGE; Not sure how to adjust that...
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM

Some antibiotics, like clindamycin, cephalexin or keflex, dogs commonly don't do well on. Maybe a different abx like clavamox would work and would be better tolerated. Sounds like a good conversationg to have with the vet!