Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Girl with a Pearl Earring - 2003

This is a fictional film about a real painting by one of the Dutch Masters Johannes Vermeer. To be honest I did not know anything about Vermeer except that he was a famous Dutch painter who painted in the same era as Rembrandt. I was lucky enough to see it yesterday on the big screen at my favorite repertory cinema (that is closing next week) :sad:

This film is a feast for the eyes. It takes place in the 1600's and the scenery, architecture and costumes are amazing. The lighting and cinematography are UNBELIEVABLE. Almost every single frame of film looks like a painting from the 17th century. The lighting is often dark and looks and feels like Rembrandt paintings from that era. The attention to the composition of every frame is masterful, and shot with GREAT care. It is pure poetry to be drunk with the eyes. Can you tell I loved it?

Scarlett Johansson plays the maid on which the painting is inspired. She is one stunning lady and plays this part very well. Colin Firth as Vermeer is also pretty good. The characters are just a bit too subdued for my own personal taste, but the Dutch do have a reputation for being modest on many levels. I like movie characters to undergo a bit more transformation but it would not surprise me at all if they were directed to play these characters in this manner. Either way, you do connect with Johansson's character and the visual poetry compensates for any lack of character development in Vermeer.

This IS a somewhat slower moving film so be warned if those types of dramas bother you. It didn't bother me one bit though and I give this film an 8.5/10

If at all possible, check out this film on the big screen if it ever plays at a repertory theater near you.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
owned by Tucker

My daughter had to watch it for art class last year she brought it home to watch and I thought it would be crappy but I quite enjoyed it.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
cat slave

well as marko said it was a bit slow paced....too slow maybe. the only part i liked was when he was showing her that clouds are different colors.

Maybe i didn't like it because Scarlett Johanson is not a good actress in my book

And throughout the movie, i was kind of hoping she would end up removing her headpiece to show she was a redhead, which would've made her a freak in those days hehe, but I don't think that was the real issue with the painting.

I do enjoy Colin Firth though and I thought that although he seemed a bit tense for an artist of that stature, he did a pretty good job