Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old July 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM

RIP Roxy...

She's not going to a new home after all. :sad: After going to the vet to be spayed before looking for her new home, it was decided that she was far too aggressive without my brother in her presence. She couldn't be rehomed in her condition, and keeping her in the city where any passer-by may have been in danger if she ever got loose was too high risk too, especially after it had already been established that she was an aggressive dog.

We just didn't know she could be like that.

Poor Roxy. Life just isn't fair.:sad:

RIP

Thanks to BMDLuver and BoxerRescueMTL for everything the past couple of weeks.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM

:sad: Prin,

I know this must be tough for you. You have the best instincts and feel for doggies I've ever seen. I know that if that is what you and the vets decided, then it really was the best decision.

I'm sorry for your loss
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM

It is so hard. My dad was there too and we were all pretty quiet. None of us had ever put down a dog who wasn't old and ready to go... Roxy was so young. It was such a hard decision.

I try to make myself feel better by telling myself that maybe this short life was the best she could get and maybe there were just bad thoughts in her head instead of parks and bones and toys and things... (but nothing makes these even slightly ok- it's all just horrible). I mean, we hear about people putting down dogs all the time instead of rehoming them because they think the dog just won't survive without them, but in most cases they will survive. No matter how much we know about dogs, we never assume to be the best and know everything, and that was partly why my brother was rehoming Roxy- he was hoping somebody better with dogs could give her the time and expertise she really needed. But watching her face change from super aggressive and scary when BMD was tapping on the glass, to happy and elated when she realized my bro was there, I realized that he was the best for her, and even that wasn't enough.

My bro did the best he could after this dog was left with him while its owner "went on vacation" and never came back.

It's just sad and terrible.:sad:
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: OMG Prin, I am so sorry. RIP sweet angel. How sad life can be:sad:
I know this decision was not made lightly and you did what you felt was right.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Thank you Cpietra.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

I'm sorry again Prin. You and your family did your very best. There's nothing to say to make you feel better, but I hope you all find comfort in your memories of Roxy.

Big hugs.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks. I told BMD, I just don't know how you guys do this. I just fall apart completely. You all are just amazing.
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm so sorry Prin. I really wish it had turned out differently.
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Oh Prin, I can imagine how hard it would be for you to make this discission, Yes I feel this was the best thing for this girl as she is now relaxed and at peace, you know exactly where she is not laying awake at night wondering Please rest assured that you did everything in your power to make her life better now you have a named Roxy looking down on you, RIP beautiful girl
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin I am so sorry but from what I have learned about you and what you have said about your family you are obviously all dog lovers and would never do anything like this if you felt there were other options. I know how awful you feel and I can only say you did the right thing and I know that does not make you feel any better. I know that nothing anyone said made me feel better about it. But she is now happy and playing with other dogs and if adopted out she may have had a much worse life.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I would like to second everything LibbyP said.
Im so sorry Prin, but all in all its a good thing that your brother ended up with her. Who knows what kind of life she may have lived if circumstances were different. ( owner not going on "vacation")
She was a very beautiful gurl.:sad:
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM

So sorry, Prin. I'm sure you made the right decision.
Vega, the GSD - Husky mix
both from rescue, of course!!!
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Honest Contributor

she was lucky to have had such a peaceful ending to her short life, at least she was loved as she crossed the bridge. it could have been a lot worse and she is in a better place now... sigh. thank goodness you had the strength

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the unbelievable kind words everybody. It's great to have people like you around to help soften the blow.:sad:
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM
owned by Tucker

Prin sorry to hear about Roxy, but in the end its for the better, you could never live with yourselves if she had gone after a child and would have never looked at her the same if she had. Sometimes it is just better for them too, she no longer has to worry about things and get into situations that would make her agressive, just think of all the energy that it takes for her to live that way. RIP Roxy , while you are at the bridge maybe you could look up my Travis and give him someone to play with, I worry that he is lonely as he was my first dog and that I don't have another one waiting for me yet for him to play with.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM

I would have felt so bad if she had attacked somebody and they blamed it on her being a pitty. It didn't really have anything to do with being a pitty, or even being a responsible owner (if being a responsible owner wasn't limited to putting her down). I think she was probably born this way, and regardless of her breed, any dog bred badly can have this outcome.

I hope Travis likes brindle girlies.:love:
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I am so sorry prin, I know oh to well what you and your family are going through. My first dog was put down because of aggression. It is alot harder when they are not pysically ill. She is now at peace, playing at the bridge with my beloved bear.
P.S Bear keep a close eye on roxie for us
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Race to the bridge baby.
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Boss-lady!

, Prin . I know there is nothing really that hasn't been said already, but you did the right thing. It is the awful part of being pack leader, I think, to have to make the decision that an animal is just not safe, and it sucks that to be responsible is to be the one(s) that carries the pain of the tough decision. Unlike her previous owner, who "went on vacation" rather than do what was right. :sad: Better a quiet and peaceful end surrounded by love than the turmoil of an attack and being put down by Animal Control or shot on the street.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM

It is definitely better for her this way- I mean we were 4 people petting her as she went. That's 4 people more than most dogs get.:sad:

It's just so sad. I haven't talked to my brother since this afternoon... I don't know how he's handling it. She wasn't my dog and still I'm a total mess. I got to know her though, and she really was a sweetie under all the mess.:love::sad:

One last pic... You can see her pretty brindle color and stripes on her back. :love:

Last edited by Prin; July 25th, 2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:29 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh gosh Prin, I'm so sorry! What a terrible decision that had to be made.:sad: That would be extremely difficult to do to an otherwise healthy dog. But like others said, it's better for Roxy as it must have been quite stressful for her to act that way and now she's at peace. I'm so sorry!
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
-

I'm so sorry Prin I know you want to save them all,you and your family took good care of Roxy,who knows what would have happen to this girl if your brother didn't adopt her when he did.She must be so happy and free right now.
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I'm so sorry ... I'm sure it was the right decision however hard it may of been. But the ones who did love her was there for her till the end
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM

My brother saw this thread and wanted to post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Hi everyone---this is Prin's brother Jesse. First of I'd like to thank you all for the support thru this difficult time. It's hard to keep my composure while even writing this reply. It is nice to see that there are caring people out there and not just selfish pricks.

Roxy was amazing to me.........cuddled every night, so happy to see me. Never was mad or shy or nothing negative. Yes she had her aggression towards other dogs, but I based it on her rough past. Apparently, she was picked up at the SPCA when she was not even 2 months old. Her heart was huge. She would even leave you alone to enjoy your supper(<--trying to be positive). Her energy was never dull, but she was the first to be lying down, resting.

I never saw or thought she could be so aggressive. With people, she never had an incident. She would stay back and be scared, but never attack. My sister knows. Roxy and Yayo, were best friends. When Roxy could accept you completely, Yayo would be the one watching you---------and I mean watching you!!.
Best friends---at the very least. Pals....to the end. Replacable...........never. At least I have Yayo still to share some of my heart ache.

I really appreciate all your time and support. I hope I did the right thing. I miss her already.

Roxy--------I hope you can see me and hear me---------- I LOVE YOU BABY!!!!!!!!! You are my angel-----in my heart forever!!!

Roxy----I really am!!!! I lllllllooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee yyyyyooooooouuuuuuu!! Never wanted to hurt you!!

Something I will have to live with FOREVER!!!

Thanks again-----------for helping me shed my tears!!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Jesse and Prin

My heart goes out to you both, hugs from across the ocean , She is safe and running free and rolling in the freshly cut grass beside the rainbow.

Im glad the UK has used its common sense when it comes to Staffies, my friends has two and they are the sweetest things.

Thinking of you both.
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

There isn't anything I can say that hasn't been already said, so I'll just give you a I'm so sorry!
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Animals are Angels

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Peace be with you........
Chaplain Buddy and Nola
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my heart just aches for you--all of you. She was a beautiful girl. I know that this was a decision reached with heavy hearts.

It seems that sometimes life just doesn't hold the answers we want. I'm sure you did the right thing, but that doesn't make your grief any easier. It's times like this when I want to be ruler of the world and make everything right for everyone!

Old July 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Thanks. :sad: I think we'll always regret it, even if it was the right thing to do.:sad:
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
cat slave

that's sad...I don't know what to say....but i'm sure it was for the best of course. I'm sure she understands and forgives you all :love: