Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Ontario canoeist survives bear attack

Quote:
A man escaped from a marauding bear deep in northern Ontario Friday after his dog rushed to his defence.

Tom Tilley, 55, of Waterloo, Ont. killed the nearly 90-kilogram bear by jumping on its back and stabbing it with a 15-cm hunting knife. But Tilley and his dog were both bitten in the incident.

"Love is a very powerful emotion and my thought right away was: `You're not going to kill my dog,' " Tilley told the Waterloo Region Record. "I really consider my dog a hero. Without that first warning I would have had the bear clamping down on my neck."

An avid outdoorsman, Tilley was portaging north of Wawa, Ont., four days into a 12-day canoe trip he was making with his American Staffordshire dog.

Tilley said he heard his dog growl and noticed the bear closing in on him. He waved his arms and slowly backed away. But the bear came closer, cutting off his escape route.

"That's when I knew I had a serious problem I was lunch," he said. "The bear took a few steps down the trail and clamped its mouth on the back of my dog. It gave me the quick opportunity I needed to run around to the back of the bear, get on its back and with my knife start stabbing it."

After making sure the animal was dead, Tilley realized that both he and dog had been bitten.

He dragged his canoe across a short portage, and paddled for about an hour before he came across a pair of Americans who had a satellite phone. They called for help and two hours later, a cargo plane arrived to take Tilley to Wawa for medical attention. He was released from hospital shortly after.

Humans are attacked by bears in Canada, but the incidents are rare, particularly in Ontario where the local black bear is less aggressive than the western grizzly.

Source
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I would totally do the same thing for Jesse. She's my baby and she is my responsibility to make sure she is safe.

It said the man was released, but what about the dog? Is he alright?
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

There is another article about this incident and in the accompanying picture Tom is wearing an Advocates for the Underdog button. The one that says my Ontario includes Pit Bulls
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Jesses Mommy, I believe both of them ar just fine
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM

A good example of why the muzzle law is so ridiculous.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

This is a great story. It was the other day after I read that it was a ‘dog’, it still would have been if it was Peter Worthington’s Jack Russell Terrier but it is fantastic that it was a pit bull.

The story below is the Globe and Mail version and they do a really good job of conveying that these two are friends with a bond that will fight for each other. It isn't so much the story of killing the bear it is a story of two friends who will put themselves into harms way to defend the other, I think we call that heroism.

BTW the blurb on the bottom is an informative piece about what to do if you run into a bear, a nice touch.

Globe and Mail article (front page)

Man and pet rescue each other from beast's teeth
A pit bull takes a mauling from a bear for his master
ALEX DOBROTA
Tom Tilley realized trouble was following him on the lush forested trail when his dog started to growl.
A loyal companion who goes with Mr. Tilley on his annual canoe trips to Northern Ontario, Sam, a five-year-old pit bull, often lets out a booming bark. But he doesn't growl.
"Something was wrong," Mr. Tilley said. "That's when I turned around."
About six metres behind him, an 82-kilogram black bear was treading stealthily on the trail.

But while the snarl alerted Mr. Tilley to the bear's presence, both companions played an equal part in this story about a man and his dog and how they escaped a bear. One took a mauling to save his master; the other killed the bear with a hunting knife to save his dog.
Last Thursday, with the morning sun shining over Lake Abbey, near Wawa, Ont., Mr. Tilley, a Waterloo resident, began his fourth day of a two-week trip by portaging his canoe on a short trail. He returned for his gear, spotted the bear, and started moving backward.
He said the bear disappeared into the forest but re-emerged on the trail, cutting off his escape. As Mr. Tilley unsheathed his Buck hunting knife, the dog sprang in front of his master, turned sideways and stood its ground. The bear lunged forward, plunging its fangs into the pit bull's white hide.
Mr. Tilley said his fear turned to rage.
"All I could see was my beloved canine friend getting chomped on, and the immediate thought was: 'You're not going to kill my dog!' "
Mr. Tilley said he jumped on the bear's back, clutching it with his left hand, while with his right hand he thrust the six-inch blade into its throat. The knife slid in to the hilt. The bear loosened its grip on the dog.
But Mr. Tilley was not quite finished: "I kept it up until he had stopped moving. I told my dog, 'Go back, go back. Stay away.' "
After the bear drew its last breath, Mr. Tilley set out in his canoe, preparing for a two-day trip back to the nearest community.
An hour later, with flies swarming over Mr. Tilley's and Sam's open wounds, the man saw two white points on the horizon.
Tourists from Michigan, equipped with a satellite phone, were fishing on the lake. They called in a hydroplane, which ferried the two companions to a Wawa hospital. The dog bore a wide gash across his back, and Mr. Tilley was suffering from a lacerated thumb, which later required plastic surgery.
That same night, Mr. Tilley and Sam drove back to Waterloo. On the way home, he said he teared up as he looked at the injured dog. Since Mr. Tilley's daughter, 25, and his son, 34, left home five years ago, Sam, an American Staffordshire, has been Mr. Tilley's constant companion. At 55, Mr. Tilley, who is a courier by trade, has had trouble finding friends who could travel . Sam could. And now, the dog had saved his life.
While Mr. Tilley convalesced at home, an employee with Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources recovered the bear's bloody carcass. An autopsy will be held to determine whether the bear suffered from rabies or any other disease that would explain its aggressive behaviour, ministry spokeswoman Jolanta Kowalski said.
In this case, the bear might have simply considered Sam as prey.
About 10 people have been killed by bears over the past 100 years in Ontario, according to ministry statistics. Most recently, Jacqueline Perry, a young Cambridge, Ont., doctor, was killed by a black bear last September. Her husband had attempted to fight the animal with a Swiss Army knife.
The highly publicized mauling prompted Mr. Tilley to walk into a Canadian Tire this spring and buy his own hunting knife. He hoped never to use it, he said.
But his encounter with the black bear hasn't dampened his love of the outdoors.
"My daughter tells me I'm not allowed to go back. I left my canoe there, knowing that I'll go back to get it."
There are 75,000 to 100,000 black bears in Ontario, concentrated mainly in the central and western parts of the province.
While it is illegal to kill a black bear without a permit, Ms. Kowalski said Mr. Tilley will probably not be charged because he acted in self-defence. But she also warned the public against trying to repeat a similar feat.
"We do not recommend that people jump on bears to try to fight a bear off somebody's dog," she said.
Mr. Tilley said the impulse to protect his dog was visceral. Besides, he added, Sam saved his life.
"I hadn't heard anything, and without the dog's warning the first thing I might have known would have been [the bear's] jaws on my neck."
If you see a bear
Face the bear. Do not run. If you are with others, stay together. Make sure the bear has a clear escape route, then yell and wave your arms to make yourself look bigger. Use a whistle or air horn, if you have one. The idea is to be aggressive and persuade the bear to leave. This will work if it is afraid of humans. If these attempts fail to frighten the bear, slowly back away while giving the bear a wide berth. Climbing a tree to get away may offer little protection, as black bears are excellent climbers. A bear may stand upright, swat or beat the ground with its forepaws or even bluff charge -- a way of saying you are too close. Back off and give the bear more space. If the bear comes within range, use pepper spray if you have it.
Source: Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Attached Images

Last edited by twodogsandacat; July 25th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Bump!!!!!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Watchdog!!!!! I knew someone would come to the
"search rescue"! hey I should have remembered when, it was my Birthday!
Cool gift, the story that is, not the incident itself.