Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Papillon America Eskimo Mix

I recently purchased a Papillon American Eskimo Mix.
Does ANYONE have one?
I've read heaps about Paps, and a ton about Eskie's. But what happens when you put the two together?
The sir was the pap and the dam was the eskie.

My baby has the Pappy face and ears, actually she looks all Pap to me.

If anyone has one or knows someone with one give me details, please.

Size, tempermant, ease of training (notice I said ease ).

Thanks!!!

Jessica
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM

What happens when you put the two together? You get some of each, some good, some bad, or maybe more good from each than bad, or the ultimate, the worst from each breed. Its kind of like in the movie Forest Gump... Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get!

Lets see some pictures!
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a pure Eskimo and could sure tell you a lot about that breed. I think you will have to wait and see which personality wins out - may look 100% like a Pap and be 100% Eskimo. I know a lady who has an Eskimo/Border Collie Cross. You would think she is 100% Eskimo - she had an Eskimo a few years ago and thought at first glance he was 100% Eskie. As it turns out he has the Border Collie personality - and is inclined to be much more friendly to stangers etc. than a pure Eskie - she can take this dog everywhere. Eskimos are not quite so accommodating - really one family (person!) dogs. If your pup has the Eskie personality expect VERY smart, stubborn and with the appetite of a Dachshund or Beagle. If you do obedience training I really suggest non treat based - my guy was a star at treat based and at 27 months is now going through specific issues training - no treats - doesn't like it!
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Valid Point!

You know you brought up a really valid point... about the training with treats!

I have taught her come with treats, I am teaching her to sit with treats... and then that is exactly what started going through my head.

I wonder if she is going to get ticked when I try to get her to do this without treats????

I was actually thinking of alternating treats with commands, ex. Come, give praise and treat. Come, praise but no treat. Come, praise and treat.

Mix it up so maybe she doesn't know... maybe I'll get a treat maybe I won't.

???? I don't know.
With puppies they are so predictably unpredictable.

Thanks for the input
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:32 PM

There's a right way and a wrong way to use rewards in training - these authors say it better than I can:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/rewards.html

http://www.wpr.org/pets/training.html

and the books "Culture Clash" (J. Donaldson) and "The Other End of the Leash" (P. McConnell) go into this (and much more) in further detail...
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:49 PM

You might want to look into clicker training too if you're worried about relying on treats too much. Of course with the clicker you will be using treats, but there are all sorts of thin treats that can be broken into really small pieces.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I started using treats for everything when they were just learning, then I would give a tonne of praise instead of a treat after every trick, then at the end of me asking them to do a series of things I would give a treat.

Having said that, that was a lot easier to accomplish with Trigs (pittie) as opposed to Dory (papillon), I found Dory to be a little stubborn and more food motivated than Trigs. Trigs is a love sponge, he just soaks it up, and Dory is very attached to one person and if someone else gives her affection, it's not as important...

Soooo, sometimes what I do is take a portion of her dry food and use it for training. Depending on how hungry she is, it works wonderfully, so now with Dory I can ask her to do a few things, "up Dory," "dance Dory," "sit Dory," then kibble. I don't feel bad giving her her own kibble, and she still finds it fun, so it all works out.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I never used a single treat in my training, and I'm glad. I Just dont think you should be rewarding with food, and then when you stop, you face issues. I would quit while you're ahead.
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv
I never used a single treat in my training, and I'm glad. I Just dont think you should be rewarding with food, and then when you stop, you face issues. I would quit while you're ahead.
Depending on the dog though, making you happy just doens't cut it for some of them. I got no-where with praise only training with my dog (might have had to do with a less than good trainer too, but...) yet with treat and clicker training he is great and learned more in a few weeks that he did over the course of two 8 week training sessions with our first trainer.

Last edited by PetFriendly; July 17th, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Jessica can u help me?

Can anyone help??

I've read a post about a papillon/eskimo mixed dog. I've been looking all over for a that kind of puppy for my mother in law. She saw a picture of it in a magazine and has been desperately looking for one. Could anyone tell me where to find this puppy. I would appreciate any information you can provide me with. This would make the best Christmas gift for her. She just lost her Dalmation in the summer who was 14 so needless to say she is pretty lonely now.

I hope you can help.
Thank you for your time,
Debbie

Last edited by Blathach; December 2nd, 2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Please, for safety reasons, no personal information
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Thumbs up

I think my dog that I rescued from a shelter is a papimo. I saw a picture of one on this hybrid dog breed website and she looks pretty similar. The shelter listed her as an eskimo mix and she has the pap markings and ear hair. I was trying to see a better picture of your dog (and I realize this was posted two years ago) but I don't know how to or if I can make profile pics bigger here. Anyway, let me know if you can show me some pictures of your dog. I'd really like to see for comparison. Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up Hello I have a papillon/eskimo mix

My Winston is almost a year old and he was easy to house train as far as puppy pad train, we got him when he was 6 weeks old and every time we noticed him wondering around and sniffing we would take him to the pad and now he uses the pad but I have noticed that when I leave for work alot of the times he will wait until I get home to use the pad, he has been a good puppy but I am wondering if you have trouble with your pap/eskimo eating up all his toys (literally eating)? And gnawing holes in the walls? He has the papillon features big paws like an eskimo and I really don't know the tempermant of him except for when he has something that he knows is a no, no, and you try to get it from him, he gets real angry, does yours do this?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessymoka View Post
I recently purchased a Papillon American Eskimo Mix.
Does ANYONE have one?
I've read heaps about Paps, and a ton about Eskie's. But what happens when you put the two together?
The sir was the pap and the dam was the eskie.

My baby has the Pappy face and ears, actually she looks all Pap to me.

If anyone has one or knows someone with one give me details, please.

Size, tempermant, ease of training (notice I said ease ).

Thanks!!!

Jessica
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Deborah,if you check the date of that post,it is from 2006 and I don't think the poster ever returned.
You should post your questions in the Dog-Forum.