Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Question Can dog get sick fromdog eating plastic chew toy?

I have a six month old toy poodle. I have only had her for two weeks. I went out and bought her several platic (rubber) chew toys. She loves to play with them but, she has managed to chew the corners off one of them. I have seen pieces of plastic in her mouth and managed to retrieve it. Could she get sick if she swallows this? It doesn't take her long to chew into most of the toys I have gotten her.
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

first off, all dogs should be supervised when playing (or chewing) on toys, and any toy that shows signs of damage should be thrown away. (as stated on most toy warning labels)

that said, my dog has survived destroying (and ingesting) many a SMALL plasticy piece. If you can get the plastic before being swallowed, GREAT! if not, watch for signs of illness, and be sure it's not large chunks being ripped off. Although NO pieces are meant for being eaten, large pieces can cause blockage. I simply throw out any damaged toys (or they go in the "needs surgery" closet). Rubber & plastic ones get tossed though - they're not fixable.

If you have a destructo-dog (I have one of these), I recommend investing in TOUGH toys. Kongs are great.
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

If it's just small pieces that she swallows, chances are they'll just pass through. Just keep an eye out for changes in eating and bathroom habits and go to the vet if you're concerned.

If she's a real chewer, maybe try stronger toys like a Kong or something. Most pet stores should be able to help you pick the strongerest toys.
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Congrats on your new puppy! I hope your enjoying her! I have never seen plastic hurt a dog yet. However if the peices are big or are nondigestable she could choke or have intestenal trouble.

The best thing to do would be to purchase some rawhide chewies. YOu can get a huge bag of them from Pet Smart for like $12.00. The are white or brown. Your puppy can chew on them and swallow any pieces without any trouble. As they chew them they become soft so that your dog wont choke and your dog and safely digest them. Plus the chewing is good for her teeth.

You can also look for toys such as Nylabone for your dog to play with. THey are made to be chewed. Just besure to read the packaging to make sure that it's safe to chew.

I would keep the plastic and squeaky toys for play time when you can play with her and make sure she doesn't swallow the plastic, just to be safe.

Best of luck with your new puppy!
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz
The best thing to do would be to purchase some rawhide chewies. YOu can get a huge bag of them from Pet Smart for like $12.00. The are white or brown. Your puppy can chew on them and swallow any pieces without any trouble. As they chew them they become soft so that your dog wont choke and your dog and safely digest them. Plus the chewing is good for her teeth.
I STRONGLY DISAGREE. in fact, I think rawhides are one of the absolute WORST things to give your dog, ESPECIALLY if you have an agressive chewer. I won't give these to my dog, nevermind a puppy. your pup could certainly choke and have blockage from rawhide. For safe chew toys, please look to tough toys designed for teething pups. KONG makes a puppy size one.
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Rawhides have the potential to be very dangerous, larger peices when swallowed, can swell once in the stomach ir intestinal track and create a blockage, which then means surgery to remove.
THe other danger can con from where the rawhide is maufactured some can contain toxic chemicals, One made in the USA are not toxic

Plastic and soft rubber toys that can be chewed into pieces and swallowed can also result in blockages.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
I simply throw out any damaged toys (or they go in the "needs surgery" closet).
You have one of these too!? My dogs toys go into the "needs surgery" closet all the time.

On that note, when my poodle was 6 months old she chewed through quite a few plastic toys. When they started falling apart, they went into the trash. What I suggest is buying some more expensive ones (like kongs) and they'll last way longer. The really cheap ones are cute but they lasted all of about 2 minutes and I was scared she would ingest too much. All in all, buy the good quality toys and you'll find you don't have to toss as many.

Also, be careful what stuffed toys you buy. I have no idea why they make toys that have eyes that can be bitten off and swallowed and ones with tons of fuzzy hair that will most certainly end up in a dog's stomach. Avoid those at all costs. I find that the terrycloth ones are more durable. Buy ones that have little to no fur and have eyes that are thread, not something that can be chewed off. Also, watch out for any visible glue because that is certain to end up in your dog's stomach. You wouldn't think I'd have to say this, but I came across quite a few where I could see the glue at the store the other day. I couldn't believe it.

Believe me, you'll learn what lasts and what needs to be taken away soon enough. I sure did!
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Can dog get sick from swollowing plastic toy pieces?

Thanks to each of you that replied to my concerns. I am on my way to Pet Smart to find some of the Kong toys that were mentioned. I had not thought about glue on toys causing a problem. I will be on the look out for that as well. I think I will stay away from the raw hide since it seems to have it's own set of problems.
I carried Sadie to the vet this morning to get her spade, shots, and a chip placed. If I didn't know better, I would declare that she sensed something different. She was very shy, this morning, and did not want to get in the car. I know this is for her own good but, it was hard leave her there. It was a lot like taking my children, when they were small, to get their vaccinations. I know that the vet will give care instructions but any other tips you could give would be great. Thanks again for the comments you have already given.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen peake
I know that the vet will give care instructions but any other tips you could give would be great.
yes, the vet will give you some after care instructions. Have some new and interesting items on hand to keep her from licking the incision. the kongs are great because you can fill them w/ all sorts of yummy stuff. I know there are quite a few threads on here about kong-recipes.. just do a search and you'll find many. Personally, a few fav's of mine to stuff the kong w/ are peanut butter, cream cheese, mozzarella cheeze, kibble & wet dog food, etc... you can freeze the kongs too.

don't forget to post a pic or 2 when your baby is all recovered from her spay!
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
first off, all dogs should be supervised when playing (or chewing) on toys, and any toy that shows signs of damage should be thrown away. (as stated on most toy warning labels)

that said, my dog has survived destroying (and ingesting) many a SMALL plasticy piece. If you can get the plastic before being swallowed, GREAT! if not, watch for signs of illness, and be sure it's not large chunks being ripped off. Although NO pieces are meant for being eaten, large pieces can cause blockage. I simply throw out any damaged toys (or they go in the "needs surgery" closet). Rubber & plastic ones get tossed though - they're not fixable.

If you have a destructo-dog (I have one of these), I recommend investing in TOUGH toys. Kongs are great.
my little dog just chewed a plastic toy to hell and this morning she vomited peices the size of my pinkie nailmom is being frantic .... do we take her to a vet....
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How big is your dog? How big is the toy? And do you know how much (if any) of the toy is unaccounted for?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
How big is your dog? How big is the toy? And do you know how much (if any) of the toy is unaccounted for?
lap dog according to mother she got most of the peices right away but our dog must of at some and it could be just thos few we found or it could be more... shes alittle better but.....
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If the toy was hard plastic - and she didn't vomit all the pieces, there is a risk of a sharp piece getting caught or piercing the intestine. Something that causes a blockage can be very serious.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
If the toy was hard plastic - and she didn't vomit all the pieces, there is a risk of a sharp piece getting caught or piercing the intestine. Something that causes a blockage can be very serious.
i have the toy in front of me its a soft plastic and i have a piece she got out by vomiting none of them are sharp...
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Then your main concern will be having a piece cause a blockage. Hopefully this won't happen.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
Then your main concern will be having a piece cause a blockage. Hopefully this won't happen.
okay.. thank you...