Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 10th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Girlfriend's dog pees when I pet him

This is about my girlfriend's dog, not mine. I go to her house a few times a week and everytime I go, the first time I pet her dog (per time that I'm there) he will pee on the floor. It is usually just a little trinkle, but he lets more go if I grab his collar like he has done something wrong. Usually right after he pees, he will briskly walk away. If I try to walk towards him, he will usually keep walking away. He lives with my girlfriend, her two parents, and her sister. They also have two cats. He does not pee any other time, just when I come over! Also, it is not just in the house, he will do it outside also. He didn't used to do this, it only started within a month or so ago. The thing is, I really love playing with him and petting him and all that, I just can't have him peeing on me all the time. Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Its called submissive urinating, and its not something he can control at all. Correcting him for it just makes it worse, so try to avoid grabbing his collar or getting angry.

What you can do to help him grow out of it is to keep greetings very low key - even to the point of ignoring him. If you must say hello, you could do so outside. Another method that sometimes works is to give the dog something else to do - sit or a trick that the dog loves to do.

Best of luck, and remember - the dog can't help himself.
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Please see this link on submissive peeing:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/submissivepeeing.htm

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

As mentioned it is submissive behaviour

And your own body language and actions can play a large role in his acting submissive toward you, as they in "dog language" could be telling him you are very dominant and threatening .

Dogs talk to one another through their eye contact, body gestures and vocalizations.

Looking directly into the eyes --- that is dominant dog behaviour it is only done for a brief second to let the other dog know I am more powerful than you.

Looking directly into the eyes and holding the stare -- when it goes beyond a couple seconds it is now a warning, a threat or a challenge, a more dominant dog will use this look to correct another dog for misbehaving, warn it to stop what is s doing and if 2 dogs are doing it to each other, they are challenging each other and unless backs dow and turns their head will lead to a fight.

The lifting of lips and showing of teeth -- is again a warning and is often used with the stare, and or voice rumbles, and is often the second stage warning when the stare alone is not getting the desired effect. And in human language could be translated as " (stop doing what you are doing)(move)(stay away) right now!!! or I am going to whipped your butt" A person smiling and staring into a dogs eyes at the same time can be viewed by a dog as having the above meaning

The towering or standing over -- a dominance display, saying I am the boss so don't challenge me, your standing and or leaning over the dog can mean the same thing

The standing over or towering resting their head or paw ontop of the other dog back head or neck -- is the dominance display testing the other dog's submission, if the dog if repectful of the dominance of the other it will stand still or flop down urinate and possible roll over exposing it's tummy. You standing over and bringing your hand over the dogs head inorder to pet can have the same meaning

Walking straight at approach -- a dominant dog will approach a weaker dog head on to approach, it is meant to be threatening not a friendly greeting type of approach. A friendly approach is when a dog approach making a curve and comes up beside the other dog, with their nose toward the tail end of the other dog.

If you are greeting the dog in an enthusiastic excited voice to him he can view it as you being very aggitated and overly excited therefore possibly dangerous , in that state an overexcited dog can often bite or nip, so often a dog will cower away from a person if they are actng too enthusiastic in their greetings.

By understanding dog language and what it means you can alter your own body language so as not to be viewed as threatening to the dog.

You also need to understand a bit about the dog pack, when a dog become part of a family, they view the rest of the family as part of the pack, and to a dog rank (hierachy) is very important and helps them know where they fit in, he is submissive meaning he knows he is the lowest ranking member of the family, the least important and he accepts and feels comfortable with that position.

When you walk into his house (his pack) and greet him first or second, you are putting him in a uncomfortable position because you are treating him as though he is of a much higher than he really is. If he was in a true dog pack, that action could spell very bad news for him, the other members could punish for allowing this to put him back in his place, as this would symbolize that he is trying to be sneaky and steal is way up the ladder of rank. So when you walk into home (pack) he should by ignore while you greet everyone else there first, and then you should take a seat somewhere and let him approach you by calling him quietly and calmly, do not look in his eyes, look off to the side and when you pet him bring your hand to him from under head level touching the side of his neck first and try to avoid leaning over him as you do so. Don't spend a long time fussing over him solely, because he will only start to get uneasy with being the center of attention, you can remain absently petting him as long as your focus and main attention is with someone else in the family as in having a conversation with another person, so he is not feeling like he is being singled out and beig made to feel more important than other members of the family.

Some dogs who grow up in a family are able to understand that their immediate families do act different and communicate different than dogs do and they accept that but when relating to other people they have not spent day in day out learning about, they try to read them as though they are other dogs so view their actions in terms of dog language instead so there fore respond as a dog which is what is happening in this case. So to make him comfortable you need to think in term of a dog and what your body language is telling them.

It is sort of like people, some are able to pick up and learn several foriegn languages with ease but the next person struggles and just cannot get the hang of a new language. In this case you have a dog that is having trouble learning the foriegn language of people.
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM

I agree with all of the above. You might want to try squatting or sitting on the floor and petting him under the chin at first to seem less threatening.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Thank you for all the replies, I'll start trying some of these methods.